A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
583 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: potc medallion. im pedantic yes (added a kind-of-tut)  (Read 3912 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mixymo

Craftsters + HP Fandom = Best people in the world!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 08, 2006 10:25:54 PM »

Helloo everyone ^_^
Sorry, im in a good mood because I finally finished making a pirates of the caribbean medallion (from the first movie)

I found a good photo of the medallion and copied it.

I modelled it with cheap 30c playdough then painted a base colour in acrylic, and painted gold with an interior 'leafing' paint. Ermm its almost gaudy, but I love it

Tis sideways but oh well. To give an idea of size

::TUTORIAL::
Ok, this may be confusing but i'll try. and i cant get pics up atm so it may be even more confusing =/ honestly i make up what i do alot of the time.

I just used cheap crappy playdough from one of those cheap stores. Make sure you have a large, clean flat surface to work on.

First make a ball - lots of smooth rolling in palms and on a flat surface. As it gets flatter, hold it like a burger (lol) and gently press the middle flat and smooth the sides with your fingers. Some water may help with that, but NOT TOO MUCH. I'm talking like a drop here.
Slapping it on a table (like you would with clay) can help to make the faces of the disc flat and even.

You may want to put in a jewellery fitting at the top of the medallion at this point so that you can hang it, as it will avoid ruining part of your work later, and having to redo it again *cough cough*. Really it's your choice. I have added instructions at the end on how i made my wire piece.

To make the lines and basic shapes i squeezed the dough through a small plastic strainer. The strings were rectangular but that doesn't matter, unless you're making a medallion like 30cm wide =P. These will dry out fairly quickly. I don't recommend using water with them though.

I used the strings to make the circular parts, the arrows, and basically all the thing that can be made from a string of playdough. It's ok to mark things out with a pencil on the dry dough, if you're going to paint it.
When you stick the bits onto the disc, use something small and pointy like a sharpened pencil or a darning needle to press the edges onto the disc and kind of blend them into each other and the surface of the disc (man i hope that makes sense).

With the harder shapes like the little people near the bottom of the skull, i cut a vague shape out of a really really flat piece of dough, then stuck it in place and used my pencil/needle to press the edges and at the same time mould the right shape.
With the skull, i drew it on in pencil then used little bits to gradually fill it in, still using the pencil/needle to blend edges and mould the shape.

If any bits come off after they have dried, tiny bits of fresh playdough are your friend. Blend them into the cracks using a rolling action with a needle, and they'll stick.

Ok, now you need to add a wire piece at the top so the medallion can be hung. You may be able to use a kind of screw-in eyepin kind of thing, but it probably won't hold.
Use a piece of wire that is about the size of the diameter of the medallion. Fold it in half, and use 2 pairs of pliers to twist at the folded end. If you don't use 2 pairs you'll butcher your hands.

Keep twisting until the wire is tightly twisted into a rope.
Use Round-nosed pliers to make a loop with the twisted wire, and twist the short ends together to make an eyepin shaped piece.

GENTLY screw this into the top of the medallion - make sure it's the top =P. You might have to make some..adjustments at the back to make space for the wire. Once it's fitted in snugly, get another piece of wire about twice the diameter of the medallion. Wrap tightly around the bottom of the loop (or the neck) where it fits into the playdough, making sure there are fairly even lengths of wire at either side. Only wrap about 2-3 times or it will become bulky.
With the lengths of wire left, carefully bring them over the edge so that they are sitting flush against the back of the disc. Try and make them sit evenly against the back and spread them a fair length down the disc. Glue these in place. Don't worry too much about making it perfectly flat, but flat is still good. (lol uhh..ok). I used craft glue for this.

Next, measure a thin disc that is the same size or slightly smaller than the medallion. This will go on the back, over the wire. Use the pencil/needle to blend the edges.

Your medallion will probably look a little scrappy - use a small brush and water to gently smooth out the bumps or scrappily blended areas. You can also remove some dough if needed, once it has been moistened.
Painting the whole medallion with water will make it much nicer, and using your finger and water to rub the back in a circular motion will make it smooth.

To paint, i again used cheap acrylic. Just make sure all the nooks and crannies are filled in.
I used a metallic paint that is meant for interior decoration, called 'brush & leaf'. It smells pretty shocking =/ lol

Just paint and let dry and away you go! Savvy? Tongue
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006 05:05:00 AM by mixymo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists

The Sketchbook Project 2012: Across the World
aliastriona_angerboda
Pirate Queen, Insane Woman, Complete Nerd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006 10:53:35 PM »

Holy crap, that's awesome!  I totally love you...I keep trying to do that and it always comes out like a lump.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DIYe_Bitch
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006 11:23:42 PM »

woooow!!!

this is so freakin awesome!!!

i want one!

any tut?? pleaseee Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fizzymelody
Princess Mimi

Competing with the sun for center of the universe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006 01:52:08 AM »

make me one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

there's thunder in our hearts, baby
mixymo

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006 05:05:51 AM »

thanks =) i added a tut, hopefully it makes sense
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006 08:43:57 AM »

Very nice!! (reminds me just a bit of a Dracula medallion I made for my kid one Halloween, but that had a large red bevelled jewel in the middle.... I love reproducing that kind of stuff because you can do almost anything you want and it's still "accurate" Grin so very freeing)

You did s-o-o-o much work on the embellishment though that maybe you should consider making a mold of the finished piece too so you can reproduce it easily later (I'd do that with polymer clay if I were you, so it lasts longer and is stronger).

To paint, i again used cheap acrylic. Just make sure all the nooks and crannies are filled in.
I used a metallic paint that is meant for interior decoration, called 'brush & leaf'. It smells pretty shocking =/ lol

I'm wondering about the paint you used.  "Acrylic" paints should have no smell at all and are completely non-toxic, but petroleum-based paints do have a strong solventy smell and aren't so great for lungs (those have to be thinned with paint thinner, acetone, etc., rather than water... they do give a "harder" shine though).

Good tut!

Diane B.
GlassAttic....polymer clay "encyclopedia" http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
little bit'o photosharing: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dianeatglassattic/my_photos
...check out the 2 NEW polymer clay boards here at craftster:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?board=238.0
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?board=239.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
crafty_cool
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006 12:39:24 PM »

awesome! Smiley I love it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mixymo

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006 05:53:20 AM »

I'm wondering about the paint you used.  "Acrylic" paints should have no smell at all and are completely non-toxic, but petroleum-based paints do have a strong solventy smell and aren't so great for lungs (those have to be thinned with paint thinner, acetone, etc., rather than water... they do give a "harder" shine though).

thanks for the tips and comment =)
i used acrylic paint as a base. the smelly paint im talking about was the gold, which was a leafing paint...and no, it isnt great for lungs so i suppose its petroleum-based
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006 06:21:55 PM »

That's cool!  Have you considered making a mold of it?  I hear that Fimo is great for that sort of thing... just flatten out some fimo, press the design face in, and then bake, and you can make another one that's solid clay, and maybe less fragile?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
mixymo

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006 01:36:23 AM »

thanks, ill definitely do that! and its actually pretty hard and sturdy for playdough
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kathy Reichs and Linda Emond on "Bones Are Forever" Audio Book
Kathy Reichs and Linda Emond on "Bones Are Forever"
Rebecca Serle on "When You Were Mine"
Get Energized with Pete Cerqua
"Make Your Leadership Come Alive" Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...