A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,143
Currently Running With Scissors:
421 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mixed Media question: paint, canvas, stitching and a photo!  (Read 972 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

astronogirl
« on: August 08, 2006 10:03:46 PM »

So for my boyfriend's bestfriend's wedding, I'd like to give the new couple a painting.  I have a photo of them I really like, and my problem is how do I get the photo to my canvas?

1. I CANNOT paint the picture freehand, or at all.  I'm bad at realism.  So bad.

2. The picture will not make a good stencil.  Stencilling is my usual medium, but it won't work in this case.

So I think I want to transfer the image onto the canvas somehow.  The only thing I thought of is carefully cutting it out and gluing it, or tracing it with an iron-on pen and ironing the image onto the canvas and then painting around it.

I'm not satisfied with either of those options.

Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do personal swappies!  Just PM me!

I'm also looking for a date to the winter dance...

Wisties!!!! - www.wists.com/astronogirl
margeetaik
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006 02:52:15 AM »

If you are kinda comfortable drawing, and you wanted to paint it.  Then you can make a grid over a copy of the photo and grid out the canvas, say 1" square on photo equals 3" square on canvas (depending how big your canvas is) and go square by square.  This will make it a real painting, and is much easier than freehanding an image.  Plus you get the satisfaction of painting it instead of transfering the image to canvas.  Alternatlvely, if you have a projector on hand, you can project it onto the canvas and trace, that is another good method. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jelly.
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006 02:59:26 AM »

What I've done before, is print the picture out on regular computer paper, or colour photocopy it, and then sew it onto a piece of felt shaped like a heart with my sewing machine, and then glue that onto a canvas, and you can piant the canvas or cover it with a piece of material, or use other bits of felt or whatever. And because youre gluing the felt on, you can like, embroider their names onto the felt first, or, sew buttons on, or anything. It can look really good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitmeg
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006 06:52:22 AM »

that margeetaik person said exactly what i was going to say - the first art class i took, we had to do a self-portrait (pencil it, then paint it using only our fingers). i though it was going to be a total mess, but it turned out pretty good. i drew a grid, like your first reply-er said, and drew a smaller (but accurate) grid on the picture. then, concentrate on each individual square - don't look at it as a whole until you're putting the finishing touches on it. it sounds difficult, and when you're staring at the blank canvas it seems ridiculous, but you'll like the outcome. make sure you use light charcoal or a higher number pencil (the higher the number, the softer the graphite) and DON'T use a regular #2 pencil...it won't erase off your canvas! i hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dada3345
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006 11:15:20 AM »

I agree with the grid thing. It's an old technique but works great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective. An eye unprejudiced by compositional logic. An eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure in perspective." -stan brahkage
my art: http://highlowart.webs.com/
DeanaMae
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006 09:26:31 PM »

Dick Blick (www.dickblick.com) sells inkjet-compatible canvas "paper" ... if you're interested in just printing it out. Not sure on if it's feasible, but maybe you could paint over the printed image to make some of the stuff pop more. I have no idea what the quality is, and be careful that you can run it through your printer!

http://www.dickblick.com/zz089/17/

http://www.dickblick.com/zz104/28c/
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006 09:29:56 PM by DeanaMae » THIS ROCKS   Logged
diosaperdida
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006 06:01:24 AM »

I have seen people use iron on transfers over canvas..it looks pretty darned cool.

As for the canvas paper meant for a printer..just be sure to  up your saturation on the image you are printing.
I use it alot..and an unsaturated image looks very washed out when printed.
That cvan be cool when you are going for a vintagy look.
Gte enough paper for experimenting.( or materials in general for any technique)
Experimenting is always what is going to be what solves your problem in the end..that and advice from others as to what experiments to try.
Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
MadelBlue
Blue Sees...

Tangled up in blue...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006 06:07:07 PM »

I've done the grid thing-- works pretty well.

I've also used an opaque projector. I'm not sure if you have access to one-- lots of schools have them--- its an overhead projector that doesnt need "transparency sheets" like the old school projectors, whatever you plop under the opaque projector will show up on the wall, then you can trace it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

camilleriley
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006 01:44:23 PM »

could trace the photo on tracing paper then use an adhesive mix of 1/2 glue and 1/2 water to put it on the canvas.
if you do this make sure to go over it again in the glue (on top of the image) you might need a rolling stick to ensure there's no bubbles, but you also need to make sure there is an even glue amount to avoid parts not sticking, creating big bubbles..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

art for all kinds
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sketch Stewie
How to Draw Homer Simpson
How to Draw a Snake
How to Design a Cartoon Shark
How to Create a Cartoon Tiger
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...