A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,384
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Younger Brothers... What to do?  (Read 292 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

singtherain

Purle Carrot Extract: yes

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2006 02:08:36 PM »

ok heres the sitch: I have 5 younger brothers who have very short attention spans.  The Oldest is 10 and the youngest is 1 1/2 (he probably is too young to do anything but just to get the idea of where I'm coming from...).  I would LOVE to know if you guys have any ideas that could keep them occupied for a little bit but weren't hard or too messy.  I had a crafty aunt who gave me a few ideas but... not many. Among those were making maps of different countries using oddball materials, Buying the $1 crafts at Michels, treasure hunts, making Play-Do (I already did this.  I was going to use this as the treasure but I woke up the next morning and the 6-year-old had found it in the cupboard  Cheesy ), and making colleges out of magazine pics. More Ideas would be much appreciated thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

They say they climb mountains because they are there.  I wonder if it would astound them to know that the very same reason is why the rest of us go around them.
--S. Omar Barker
Philip7424298

Peeps. The start of racism.....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006 02:55:45 PM »

I think that mabe spool knitting would be cool, because its not that hard, or mabe making a collage, or mabe you could help them make a little fort that they could decorate, and play in. the fort idea is cool, because they can make little tunnels, and passegeways! I know that a cool way to make a fort is to make the base of chicken wire, and paper mache over it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\  /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny.
He is on his way to world domination, one signature at a time!
(Copy and paste to help him take over the world)

http://kofk.de/animal.php?id=kingBosney
shellybean
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006 03:00:55 PM »

I second the paper mache. You could do tie dye, but that might be better outside. Something we did when I was a little kid was to take crayons and draw on wax paper, then iron them onto a white undershirt. They made an iron on picture that only lasts until you wash the shirt. My friends and I would make shirts for each other and trade them back and forth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blessed are the cracked, for they let in light.
singtherain

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006 08:32:37 PM »

Hmmm thank you.  The melting crayons project sounds fun  Cheesy I'll see if my brothers like the ideas
THIS ROCKS   Logged

They say they climb mountains because they are there.  I wonder if it would astound them to know that the very same reason is why the rest of us go around them.
--S. Omar Barker
stolendreams

I'm thinking we'll rise again

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006 03:27:30 AM »

I third the paper mache. I remember my dad doing some with me and my brother when we were quite young, my brother can only have been about six. We got a big square of cardboard each and then built up the paper mache on it to make an island. Its fun and they can do it in stages, so if they want to wander off and do something else they can always come back to add to it later.
Collages are great fun. You could find a load of interesting things for them to stick on and of course cut pictures of things they like out of magazines.

I started a topic recently looking for something for my brother to do. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=111915.0 Some of the suggestions will probably be far too advanced, but a few of them might work for your oldest brother.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/stolendreams

Formerly known as risingphoenix
singtherain

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006 04:09:48 PM »

OK I guess this is kinda lame to reply to my own post but...  Tongue I was sewing something or other the other week and babysitting the munchkins at the same time.  I had my brothers coloring and would give them little games that had to do with coloring.  I had just been on craftster and looking up how to make your own books when my mom left, so I was still thinking about it.  So I decided to make "coloring books" of a most primitive form.  I just folded the paper one by one and placed them on top of each other and sewed down the fold with what ever color my little brothers wanted.  They adored that.  They're always wanting another one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--S. Omar Barker
jacksmith
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006 11:34:11 PM »

cool! so you found answer to your own question.. great !
still if you are looking for more suggestion then I would suggest you to try paper folding, you can cut the papers and give them, its both safe and creative.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Your Work Published
How to Write a Haiku
John Kenney Talks About Truth in Advertising
Paul Yoon on the Inspiration for Snow Hunters
Gabrielle Reece on Why Exercise Is the Answer to Everything
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...