A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,017
Currently Running With Scissors:
547 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Keep dog from cat food?  (Read 1081 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bubbledragon
« on: August 08, 2006 11:11:36 AM »

We just bought a house, and I'm trying to make plans for the "living arrangments" of my animals.  My dog and cat get along pretty well, but the dog just can't resist that tasty kitty food.  I can't blame her, really, as it's always my fault.  So right now, our solution is a baby gate that we lean against the doorway to my computer room.  The lean provides enough of a route for my Boo to slip through for access to her litter and food, and Portia doesn't bother to knock it down.  But inevitably, the gate gets pushed aside and poor Boo watches as her food is scarfed.

So.  In the new house, I'd like to find a solution to keep Boo's food up without resorting to putting a cat door on the laundry room or something.  I thought about making a cat tree with one of the upper platforms also a feeding station, but I'd want a cat tree in my living space, and I think it'd be a little freaky to listen to the cat munching away while we watch TV or whatever.  So maybe a mini cat-tree to put in the dining room?  My dog isn't super tall, so something as high as a card table would most likely be safe.

Have any of you seen a commercial product like this that I could run away with?  Or made something like this to suit your own needs?

Edited to add:  Water isn't an issue - we've got several of those gallon self watering jobs that both animals share really well.  (My cat loves watching the water pour out after the dog takes a big glug.)  At least that makes it easier, since I don't have to worry about her pushing water bowls over all the time.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006 11:14:49 AM by bubbledragon » THIS ROCKS   Logged
JennLee
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006 11:21:02 AM »

Hmm. This may or may not work depending on how big your dog is, but my parents got a little niche made in the bottom of the wall, it's a couple feet long and maybe a foot tall?  Less?  Anyway, the cat food and water all goes in there, and the cats walk into the niche to eat.  I don't know if you want to go around actually making holes in your walls, or even if you can, but you could do something similar, like maybe make some kind of cat house thing in a corner, with a hole only big enough for your cat to get in.  You could put a removable 'roof' on it, so you could keep the dog out while still keeping it easy to feed the cat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006 11:44:46 AM »

A covered cat litter box should do the trick. also available are window hammocks for cats that could be modified as a feeding station.  I just put the cat food on the dryer in the laundry room, he snoozed there all the time anyways.  And if I'm not mistaken someone on crafster came up with a solution to this problem you might find it searching under "feeding station" but i'm not sure about that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bubbledragon
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006 11:48:22 AM »

Nah, my dog gets into the cat litter, too, even though it's in a covered box.  Mmm... litter munchies.  That, however, I don't mind being behind a pet door.  I guess I'll just go with the flow and see where the cat starts hanging out.  I just hate having the food and litter so close - the mysterious 'they' always say that cats don't like that (understandably.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CloverJones
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006 10:13:15 AM »

A couple days ago I found this invention somewhere on the internet (I'm sorry that I can't remember the name or where) that would probably work.  It's a modified plactic cat carrier with a plastic door in the front that can be programmed to be open or locked or whatever your needs are.  If your cat is okay with carriers and the dog is too big to get in I think all you would need to do is put her food in there.  If I'm remembering correctly it was about 100$ and the inventor was in Burlington, Vermont.  Maybe after some searching you'll come upon it.  Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bubbledragon
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006 10:16:03 AM »

You know, that's an idea.  Well, the start of one.  My cat actually LOVES her carrier.  We leave it open as a sort of 'haven' for her when she needs somewhere to curl up.  If I could somehow insure that the food bowl wasn't pushed forward, and/or the dog just didn't bully her way and knock the carrier over, that could work.

Thanks for the spark!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CloverJones
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006 10:17:53 AM »

Okay I just found the company.  http://www.nekofeeder.com/  That should make it a bit easier!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
msalowishus

Virginia is for lovers.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006 10:23:21 AM »

my parents had a wooden traschcan with a lift up lid and kept the food on top of it where the dog couldnt reach. eventually we built a little shelf on the wall over the traschcan so the food wasnt in the way of using the trashcan. the cat would just jump up there and either perch on the tiny shelf or put his from paws on the shelf and eat away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

girly
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2006 01:08:58 PM »

We have the same problem at my house.  We have two dogs and two cats.  They all get along beautifully, however the dogs will always eat the cat food.  Nothing worked so in the end I decided to put the cat food and litter boxes in our utility room (contains the water heater, furnace and also has room enough to serve as a pantry/storage area).  The cats can take care of all business uninterrupted by the dogs.  We simply cut out a section of the door to the utility room at the bottom big enough for the cats to pass through, but the door remains latched so the dogs cannont get in.  Since you have a house rather than an apartment you might be able to do something similar.  Though we've never had a problem and they all have free range of the house both when we are home and when we are not, it also provides the cats a place to escape to from the dogs if they ever needed to. 

Funny what you mentioned about the water.  All four pets insist on drinking out of the same water bowl.  I used to keep water in the utility room for the cats, but they never used it.  They prefer the one the dogs drink out of so I don't even keep water in there anymore.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewantsxglamor
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006 09:45:51 PM »

Do you leave the cat's food out all day? If you just feed a certain amount at a certain time, and the cat finishes it all at once, you could feed at different times. Or you could maybe use a long cardboard box and push the food to the very back -- then the cat could get in, but the dog wouldn't be able to stick her head in to eat.

P.S. I had a dog named Portia, but she recently died. I've never heard of another dog named Portia.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn to Twist Hair
Learn how to Cornrow Hair - Finishing the Style
Learn how to Cornrow Hair - Overhand Cornrow
Learn how to Cornrow Hair - Invert Cornrow
Learn how to Cornrow Hair - Sectioning and Planning the Style
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...