A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 305,036
Currently Running With Scissors:
363 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Boston/Cambridge Fabric Stores?  (Read 6931 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ChloeZ

this is why graffitti rocks

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 08, 2006 07:30:09 AM »

Does anyone know of good local fabric stores?

I usually go to Fabric Place in Framingham or Woburn, or Joanns on Route 9, but sometimes I just need some thread or a zipper or I want to pop in someplace fun to get some fabric inspiration and I don't know where to go.

Or does anyone have a favorite yarn store? There seem to be waaaay more of these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.knitmoi.blogspot.com

I really really really would love to have Interweave Knits Spring 2007 for those Eunny Chang entrelac socks. . . Does anyone want to swap for it?! I have yarn, I can sew, embroider, knit.
simse
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006 08:14:27 AM »

Yes! There is Sew-Lo on Cambridge Street and 6th in East Cambridge (a block from my house - lucky me) that is a treasure trove of fabrics - it's huge and crowded and cheap (for some things). They also have a fair amount of yarn but I haven't checked it out enough to know if they sell anything more than Lions Brand. There's also another fabric store about a block away. I don't know the cross streets, but one block north there's a shopping complex that has a huge Shaws and Marshalls and a fabric store called Sewfisticated (I know).  They have more conventional fabrics and I don't like them nearly as much as Sew-Lo.

As for yarn, there's a great yarn place on Newbury right next to the Ritz Carlton at the park. I can't remember the name but it's easy to find and very big. They have everything from cheap to pricey and the women who work there are very helpful.

Can you believe I've only lived in Boston for a week? Finding good craft stores was more important than a good supermarket or laundromat, I guess!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftyforladies.blogspot.com
ChloeZ

this is why graffitti rocks

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006 08:23:38 AM »

Wow I've lived here 6 years and I'm still searching! welcome to Boston  Cheesy

East Cambridge is a pain to get to but I will have to check it out. The place on Newbury is good, though I've never bought anything there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.knitmoi.blogspot.com

I really really really would love to have Interweave Knits Spring 2007 for those Eunny Chang entrelac socks. . . Does anyone want to swap for it?! I have yarn, I can sew, embroider, knit.
Sarahland
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006 09:57:43 AM »

They don't sell fabric but I always seem to be popping into Windsor Button after work for thread, kniting needles, embroidery thread etc....

They have a large collection of yarn and I originally took classes there to learn how to knit (cheap!).  And they are right in Downtown crossing so you can get there by the Red, Orange or Green lines on the T.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

maliboo_barbie
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006 02:58:07 PM »

If you want more home dec--like remnants for bags and stuff, there's Freddy Farkel's in Watertown, on Coolidge Ave.  It's right off Arsenal Street almost across from Bugaboo Creek.  I have gotten foam there too when I reupholstered my desk chair.  I don't have a car, so if it's not near public transport, I don't go. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nobody puts Sparky in a corner
craftyandnappy
Soul Crafter

soulcrafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006 03:34:14 PM »

If you head downtown, theres Winmil Fabrics, which is on the street that runs behind Macy's.  They have a decent collection of fabric, patterns and notions and a great staff.  Its not the cheapest but for me its convenient.  The street address is 107 Chauncy Street.  And its pretty close to Windsor Button which has awesome yarn and knitting/crochet supplies, and a good supply of trim, notions, embroidery and general crafting supplies (textile related mostly-not much in the way of paint or clay or paper supplies).  I have been out to Cambridge to Sew-Fisticated, which is worth an occasional drop in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006 08:45:34 AM »

There is a small fabric store, Fabric Corner, on Mass Ave in Arlington Center, a little south of the Stop & Shop and a little north of the main shopping area - it mostly has quilting fabrics, but also some home dec, interfacings, trims, and a small selection of fashion fabrics. Any bus that goes to Arlington Center will make it to within a few blocks of the store.

There is a second SewFisticated in Dorchester. I used to live near the Twin Cities store, and it was my favorite (great silks, wools, and linen).

If you have a car, try Fabric Fix in Manchester NH.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maliboo_barbie
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006 03:30:19 PM »

There is a small fabric store, Fabric Corner, on Mass Ave in Arlington Center, a little south of the Stop & Shop and a little north of the main shopping area - it mostly has quilting fabrics, but also some home dec, interfacings, trims, and a small selection of fashion fabrics. Any bus that goes to Arlington Center will make it to within a few blocks of the store.

There is a second SewFisticated in Dorchester. I used to live near the Twin Cities store, and it was my favorite (great silks, wools, and linen).

If you have a car, try Fabric Fix in Manchester NH.

Fabric Corner is expensive!  I went there to get fabric for my mom's birthday gift & spent waaaay more than I wanted.  Their stuff starts at $8.49/yd.  Many of their quilt-y prints are old lady-ish.  That's the downside to quilt-oriented stores.  They think that we're all boring I guess.  (horrors! LOL  Tongue

Is the SewFisticated in Dorchester the same as the TwinCities one?  I know it's the same owner, but you know how much other stores vary in a "chain" store environment. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nobody puts Sparky in a corner
alison
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006 07:02:29 PM »

Is the SewFisticated in Dorchester the same as the TwinCities one?  I know it's the same owner, but you know how much other stores vary in a "chain" store environment. 

I rarely go to the one in Cambridge, but often go ot Dorchester. 

They've got TONS of $1.99/yard suiting fabric, denim, prints, cotton, wool, etc.  Lots of very nice garment fabrics at reasonable prices.  Lots of home decor stuff that I've never really looked at.
I buy zippers (5 cents an inch), buttons, trims there too.

I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LuoLiu
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006 06:10:54 PM »

Those sound like some good suggestions. I am moving to Cambridge this week and will definitely be checking those out. On a related note - I am starting to get into beading and wire wrapped jewelry. Where can you go in the Boston area for beads/wire/etc. which are not too expensive?? Since I am a beginner, I am not looking for top of the line stuff, is there somewhere that has a range of all prices?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fresh Thai Spring Rolls Recipe
Thai Foodcast: Pork Ball Soup
What is Young Ginger
What is Thai Basil
What is Tamarind
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...