A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,901
Currently Running With Scissors:
517 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Boston/Cambridge Fabric Stores?  (Read 7059 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006 10:04:40 AM »

Also, the Somerville Main library (the big one near the high school on Highland Ave) has several boxes of free giveaway sewing patterns. They are up on the mezzanine level, in the "sewing" books nonfiction section. You can leave patterns that you no longer want, or take as many free ones as you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LV 20  blog!
ksew
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006 05:01:34 AM »

There's a GREAT yarn store that I absolutely love in Harvard sq. called Woolcotts. It has two letters in front of the name, I think "J.?. Woolcotts" It's a small store but they do have a lot of nice yarns, all kinds, and even a discounted chest full of yarn. It's on JFK street right next to the Red Line Bar and Dunkin Donuts.
As far as fabric stores, chinatown has quite a few, I go to Sew Low in cambridge all the time for vinyl, and they are open ALL THE TIME!!! 7 days a week except christmas, and I think at least until 6 everyday.
Freddy Farkel's in Watertown does have fabulous fabrics, but they are very VERY expensive!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006 05:03:09 AM by ksew » THIS ROCKS   Logged
maliboo_barbie
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007 05:51:15 PM »

Ok, sorry that I can't be more timely in responses--my computer died and who knows when Dell will cooperate.  Anyhoo, now that I work in a fabric store, I feel so much more comfortable with spending money on fabrics!  Sure, it's a tough job selling fabric to high-maintenance women without hobbies, but someone's gotta.  You never realized how much money OTHER people have...wowzers.

Oh, firemountaingems.com for beading supplies far and away beats anything for sale in Boston/Cambridge.  You can get ANYTHING there.  They can send print catalogs too, just in case you want to drool over the stuff on your lunch hour.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nobody puts Sparky in a corner
ultraviolet
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007 09:40:44 AM »

Also, the Somerville Main library (the big one near the high school on Highland Ave) has several boxes of free giveaway sewing patterns. They are up on the mezzanine level, in the "sewing" books nonfiction section. You can leave patterns that you no longer want, or take as many free ones as you want.

Most of the patterns seem kind of old/scary, but they are definitely popular. We also have a good selection of various craft books (especially knitting!). I'm a big fan of checking out knitting books so I can spend time with them in order to decide if I want to buy a copy. I never do well making quick decisions in bookstores Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://blog.threegoodrats.com

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
calicoon

The Grand Canyon...and me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2007 07:30:54 PM »

I know it isn't in Boston or Cambridge, but Lynn is accessible by bus, and by rail (?) There is a great old fabric store there....um...Zinman's? that my friend and I used to go to when we lived there. I bought some beautiful blue marbled-look cotton for curtains, so it had to have been cheap Smiley
    I wish I could recall the exact name, but it's a huge warehouse of tons of all kinds of fabrics. Definitely worth a trip, if it's still there. I moved out of Boston in 1999 and miss it every day. There are no independent fabric stores in St. Louis. It's Hancocks or JoAnns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.squaresville.etsy.com
     For great potholders.
www.squaresvilleusa.blogspot.com
     A flashback to my life in high school.
sparky
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007 09:39:23 AM »

I've never been, but I'm guessing you are referring to:

Zimman's Inc
80 Market St
Lynn, MA 01901

(781) 598-9432

http://boston.openguides.org/?Zimman's_Inc

http://www.zimmans.com/index.html  (the banner currently only mentions the Hudson store, but the details talk about the lynn store)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
calicoon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2007 07:47:51 AM »

Yup, that's the one. "Lynn, Lynn, the City of Sin. You never get out the way you got in."
  But they did have good fabric!
Man I miss Boston. The librarian at my school is going in March, and I was giving her some places to check out. Here is a sample of our conversation:
   "Well, Curious Liquids is a cool coffee place by Downtown Crossing. I don't know if it's still there, though."
   "There's a cool cafe catty-cornered from Tower Records. I don't know if it's still there, though."
   "I used to haunt Burrito Max in Kenmore Square, cause I got the employee discount after making out with one of the employees, but I don't know if it's still there, though."
  And so on Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For great potholders.
petite_renoncule

...and he's alllllll mine

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2007 04:49:28 PM »

Hi all!

I am headed to Boston next week on vacation and I would love to be able to pick up some fabric, yarn and other crafting supplies I can't get at home.  I've been following this thread and I will definitely be hitting up some of those stores, but I would like to know if you have any recommendations for "off-the beaten path" kinds of places - I have ransacked my local JoAnn's and Michael's craft stores.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ChloeZ

this is why graffitti rocks

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007 06:59:59 AM »

Hey Calicoon --

Burrito Max is now the smallish chain Boca Grande. . . Tower Records is gone. . . The others I dont know about.

Petite_Renoncule: I went to "A Good Yarn" in Brookline a few weeks back and it's amazing. Typical yarn store prices though ($$). Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.knitmoi.blogspot.com

I really really really would love to have Interweave Knits Spring 2007 for those Eunny Chang entrelac socks. . . Does anyone want to swap for it?! I have yarn, I can sew, embroider, knit.
calicoon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007 04:28:16 AM »

Noooooo!  Where did all the cute tattooed punk rock/hardcore boys go?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For great potholders.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Ball Shaped Sushi
How to Cook Japanese Style Sardines
How to Make Cured Mackerel Sushi
How to Make an Avocado Roll
How to Make Sushi Rolls with Cream Cheese
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...