A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,117
Currently Running With Scissors:
532 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Boston/Cambridge Fabric Stores?  (Read 6736 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ChloeZ

this is why graffitti rocks

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 08, 2006 07:30:09 AM »

Does anyone know of good local fabric stores?

I usually go to Fabric Place in Framingham or Woburn, or Joanns on Route 9, but sometimes I just need some thread or a zipper or I want to pop in someplace fun to get some fabric inspiration and I don't know where to go.

Or does anyone have a favorite yarn store? There seem to be waaaay more of these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.knitmoi.blogspot.com

I really really really would love to have Interweave Knits Spring 2007 for those Eunny Chang entrelac socks. . . Does anyone want to swap for it?! I have yarn, I can sew, embroider, knit.
simse
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006 08:14:27 AM »

Yes! There is Sew-Lo on Cambridge Street and 6th in East Cambridge (a block from my house - lucky me) that is a treasure trove of fabrics - it's huge and crowded and cheap (for some things). They also have a fair amount of yarn but I haven't checked it out enough to know if they sell anything more than Lions Brand. There's also another fabric store about a block away. I don't know the cross streets, but one block north there's a shopping complex that has a huge Shaws and Marshalls and a fabric store called Sewfisticated (I know).  They have more conventional fabrics and I don't like them nearly as much as Sew-Lo.

As for yarn, there's a great yarn place on Newbury right next to the Ritz Carlton at the park. I can't remember the name but it's easy to find and very big. They have everything from cheap to pricey and the women who work there are very helpful.

Can you believe I've only lived in Boston for a week? Finding good craft stores was more important than a good supermarket or laundromat, I guess!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftyforladies.blogspot.com
ChloeZ

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006 08:23:38 AM »

Wow I've lived here 6 years and I'm still searching! welcome to Boston  Cheesy

East Cambridge is a pain to get to but I will have to check it out. The place on Newbury is good, though I've never bought anything there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.knitmoi.blogspot.com

I really really really would love to have Interweave Knits Spring 2007 for those Eunny Chang entrelac socks. . . Does anyone want to swap for it?! I have yarn, I can sew, embroider, knit.
Sarahland
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006 09:57:43 AM »

They don't sell fabric but I always seem to be popping into Windsor Button after work for thread, kniting needles, embroidery thread etc....

They have a large collection of yarn and I originally took classes there to learn how to knit (cheap!).  And they are right in Downtown crossing so you can get there by the Red, Orange or Green lines on the T.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

maliboo_barbie
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006 02:58:07 PM »

If you want more home dec--like remnants for bags and stuff, there's Freddy Farkel's in Watertown, on Coolidge Ave.  It's right off Arsenal Street almost across from Bugaboo Creek.  I have gotten foam there too when I reupholstered my desk chair.  I don't have a car, so if it's not near public transport, I don't go. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nobody puts Sparky in a corner
craftyandnappy
Soul Crafter

soulcrafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006 03:34:14 PM »

If you head downtown, theres Winmil Fabrics, which is on the street that runs behind Macy's.  They have a decent collection of fabric, patterns and notions and a great staff.  Its not the cheapest but for me its convenient.  The street address is 107 Chauncy Street.  And its pretty close to Windsor Button which has awesome yarn and knitting/crochet supplies, and a good supply of trim, notions, embroidery and general crafting supplies (textile related mostly-not much in the way of paint or clay or paper supplies).  I have been out to Cambridge to Sew-Fisticated, which is worth an occasional drop in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006 08:45:34 AM »

There is a small fabric store, Fabric Corner, on Mass Ave in Arlington Center, a little south of the Stop & Shop and a little north of the main shopping area - it mostly has quilting fabrics, but also some home dec, interfacings, trims, and a small selection of fashion fabrics. Any bus that goes to Arlington Center will make it to within a few blocks of the store.

There is a second SewFisticated in Dorchester. I used to live near the Twin Cities store, and it was my favorite (great silks, wools, and linen).

If you have a car, try Fabric Fix in Manchester NH.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maliboo_barbie
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006 03:30:19 PM »

There is a small fabric store, Fabric Corner, on Mass Ave in Arlington Center, a little south of the Stop & Shop and a little north of the main shopping area - it mostly has quilting fabrics, but also some home dec, interfacings, trims, and a small selection of fashion fabrics. Any bus that goes to Arlington Center will make it to within a few blocks of the store.

There is a second SewFisticated in Dorchester. I used to live near the Twin Cities store, and it was my favorite (great silks, wools, and linen).

If you have a car, try Fabric Fix in Manchester NH.

Fabric Corner is expensive!  I went there to get fabric for my mom's birthday gift & spent waaaay more than I wanted.  Their stuff starts at $8.49/yd.  Many of their quilt-y prints are old lady-ish.  That's the downside to quilt-oriented stores.  They think that we're all boring I guess.  (horrors! LOL  Tongue

Is the SewFisticated in Dorchester the same as the TwinCities one?  I know it's the same owner, but you know how much other stores vary in a "chain" store environment. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alison
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006 07:02:29 PM »

Is the SewFisticated in Dorchester the same as the TwinCities one?  I know it's the same owner, but you know how much other stores vary in a "chain" store environment. 

I rarely go to the one in Cambridge, but often go ot Dorchester. 

They've got TONS of $1.99/yard suiting fabric, denim, prints, cotton, wool, etc.  Lots of very nice garment fabrics at reasonable prices.  Lots of home decor stuff that I've never really looked at.
I buy zippers (5 cents an inch), buttons, trims there too.

I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LuoLiu
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006 06:10:54 PM »

Those sound like some good suggestions. I am moving to Cambridge this week and will definitely be checking those out. On a related note - I am starting to get into beading and wire wrapped jewelry. Where can you go in the Boston area for beads/wire/etc. which are not too expensive?? Since I am a beginner, I am not looking for top of the line stuff, is there somewhere that has a range of all prices?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006 10:04:40 AM »

Also, the Somerville Main library (the big one near the high school on Highland Ave) has several boxes of free giveaway sewing patterns. They are up on the mezzanine level, in the "sewing" books nonfiction section. You can leave patterns that you no longer want, or take as many free ones as you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ksew
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006 05:01:34 AM »

There's a GREAT yarn store that I absolutely love in Harvard sq. called Woolcotts. It has two letters in front of the name, I think "J.?. Woolcotts" It's a small store but they do have a lot of nice yarns, all kinds, and even a discounted chest full of yarn. It's on JFK street right next to the Red Line Bar and Dunkin Donuts.
As far as fabric stores, chinatown has quite a few, I go to Sew Low in cambridge all the time for vinyl, and they are open ALL THE TIME!!! 7 days a week except christmas, and I think at least until 6 everyday.
Freddy Farkel's in Watertown does have fabulous fabrics, but they are very VERY expensive!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006 05:03:09 AM by ksew » THIS ROCKS   Logged
maliboo_barbie
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007 05:51:15 PM »

Ok, sorry that I can't be more timely in responses--my computer died and who knows when Dell will cooperate.  Anyhoo, now that I work in a fabric store, I feel so much more comfortable with spending money on fabrics!  Sure, it's a tough job selling fabric to high-maintenance women without hobbies, but someone's gotta.  You never realized how much money OTHER people have...wowzers.

Oh, firemountaingems.com for beading supplies far and away beats anything for sale in Boston/Cambridge.  You can get ANYTHING there.  They can send print catalogs too, just in case you want to drool over the stuff on your lunch hour.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ultraviolet
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007 09:40:44 AM »

Also, the Somerville Main library (the big one near the high school on Highland Ave) has several boxes of free giveaway sewing patterns. They are up on the mezzanine level, in the "sewing" books nonfiction section. You can leave patterns that you no longer want, or take as many free ones as you want.

Most of the patterns seem kind of old/scary, but they are definitely popular. We also have a good selection of various craft books (especially knitting!). I'm a big fan of checking out knitting books so I can spend time with them in order to decide if I want to buy a copy. I never do well making quick decisions in bookstores Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://blog.threegoodrats.com

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
calicoon

The Grand Canyon...and me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2007 07:30:54 PM »

I know it isn't in Boston or Cambridge, but Lynn is accessible by bus, and by rail (?) There is a great old fabric store there....um...Zinman's? that my friend and I used to go to when we lived there. I bought some beautiful blue marbled-look cotton for curtains, so it had to have been cheap Smiley
    I wish I could recall the exact name, but it's a huge warehouse of tons of all kinds of fabrics. Definitely worth a trip, if it's still there. I moved out of Boston in 1999 and miss it every day. There are no independent fabric stores in St. Louis. It's Hancocks or JoAnns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.squaresville.etsy.com
     For great potholders.
www.squaresvilleusa.blogspot.com
     A flashback to my life in high school.
sparky
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007 09:39:23 AM »

I've never been, but I'm guessing you are referring to:

Zimman's Inc
80 Market St
Lynn, MA 01901

(781) 598-9432

http://boston.openguides.org/?Zimman's_Inc

http://www.zimmans.com/index.html  (the banner currently only mentions the Hudson store, but the details talk about the lynn store)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
calicoon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2007 07:47:51 AM »

Yup, that's the one. "Lynn, Lynn, the City of Sin. You never get out the way you got in."
  But they did have good fabric!
Man I miss Boston. The librarian at my school is going in March, and I was giving her some places to check out. Here is a sample of our conversation:
   "Well, Curious Liquids is a cool coffee place by Downtown Crossing. I don't know if it's still there, though."
   "There's a cool cafe catty-cornered from Tower Records. I don't know if it's still there, though."
   "I used to haunt Burrito Max in Kenmore Square, cause I got the employee discount after making out with one of the employees, but I don't know if it's still there, though."
  And so on Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For great potholders.
petite_renoncule

...and he's alllllll mine

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2007 04:49:28 PM »

Hi all!

I am headed to Boston next week on vacation and I would love to be able to pick up some fabric, yarn and other crafting supplies I can't get at home.  I've been following this thread and I will definitely be hitting up some of those stores, but I would like to know if you have any recommendations for "off-the beaten path" kinds of places - I have ransacked my local JoAnn's and Michael's craft stores.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ChloeZ

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007 06:59:59 AM »

Hey Calicoon --

Burrito Max is now the smallish chain Boca Grande. . . Tower Records is gone. . . The others I dont know about.

Petite_Renoncule: I went to "A Good Yarn" in Brookline a few weeks back and it's amazing. Typical yarn store prices though ($$). Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.knitmoi.blogspot.com

calicoon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007 04:28:16 AM »

Noooooo!  Where did all the cute tattooed punk rock/hardcore boys go?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For great potholders.
Quincy134
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2007 06:46:58 AM »

If you can drive, the Classic Elite hub mills store in Lowell is a great deal.  They have Classic Elite yarns (plus some other brands) for cheap.  Like $1 a skein cheap for some of the samples. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peppermintsss
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007 06:54:57 PM »

Petite_Renoncule: I went to "A Good Yarn" in Brookline a few weeks back and it's amazing. Typical yarn store prices though ($$). Have fun!

A Good Yarn is FABULOUS!!! I pass it every time I go to my internship in Brookline, right off the Brookline Village stop on the Green Line, D Train. I have a hard time not going in, but they are a little pricey. A good visit, none the less... and Brookline Village is a great place to go too. Smiley

I don't know of any good fabric stores though. There is always Winsor Button for notions and such. I'm going to have to check out all of these fabric stores in Cambridge!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lashwish
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007 04:14:07 AM »

Fabric Corner is expensive!  I went there to get fabric for my mom's birthday gift & spent waaaay more than I wanted.  Their stuff starts at $8.49/yd.  Many of their quilt-y prints are old lady-ish.  That's the downside to quilt-oriented stores.  They think that we're all boring I guess.  (horrors! LOL  Tongue

I know this is an old post but I wanted to update for the record Smiley
While it may be expensive, its no more expensive than online for certain prints. I thikn you can sign up for online coupons & discounts.

It's also not old lady-ish anymore if it used to be. They had a ton of cute prints, lots of Amy Butler, Freespirit & Alexander Henry when I was in there a month ago.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadyUranus
Only Member of Team Awesome

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2007 10:08:33 AM »

I second Winmill--- it's cheap, the employees are friendly and knowledgeable, and its T-accessible.

Winsor Button is also very nice. But their yarn, especially the specialty yarn, can be very expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rebecca Davidson
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2007 08:53:43 AM »

We have lots of samples and remnants at the recycle center in Dorchester.
Fun to pick through. sizes from 2" to several yards, and also stuff on rolls and bolts of surplus fabrics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
limewellingtons
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2007 04:33:28 PM »

So which is the cheapest and t accessible. I am across from the New England Medical Center and down the stree from Boylston.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kimieye
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2008 03:32:19 PM »

Just to let everyone know I was just at windmill fabrics and they have a huge selection of Patterns on sale for $1. A lot of basic simplicity, and such but also some cute halloween  and historical costumes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dangerously Delicious Maple Bacon Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
“Cupcake Wars” Stars Make Sweet Potato Cupcakes
How to Make a Blackberry Skillet Cake
Summer Squash Tart Recipe
Gluten Free Banana Bread Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...