A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,178
Currently Running With Scissors:
419 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Swallowtail Shawl IK Fall 06  (Read 8110 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

icantotallymakethat
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2006 04:01:54 PM »

I just posted pictures of my finished swallowtail over on the completed projects board:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=126058.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MsPete
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2006 07:23:44 PM »

Thank you so much for your help!  It is coming along nicely now. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hitch your wagon to a star.  Ralph Waldo Emerson
AWynkoop
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2006 11:31:17 AM »

I just finished this last night! It only took 2 and a half weeks to knit and I am very happy with the results! I thought this was a very easy pattern and a great choice for a first lace project!
I used KnitPicks Memories; color Redwood Forest, 2 skeins. Knit on size 4 circs. Pics are on my blog http://auntieamandaknits.blogspot.com/2006/10/swallowtail-shawl-from-ik-fall-06.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would like to swap my knits (or amigurumi stuffies) for your handmade journal...pm me!

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.~Winston Churchill
jesdmill
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2006 06:47:03 PM »

Wow, that looks really nice!  I made a Clapotis in the redwood forest yarn... isn't it nice?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Caribou

Try to remember. It's only a game.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2006 10:39:26 AM »

Hey everyone! Hopefully someone checks this *gulps*
I started my Swallowtail, and got confused with the chart after I knitted the second Budding Lace chart. The instructions tell you to repeat these six rows 14 times, but I'm confused about the pattern repeats and the no stitch squares. Do I do the pattern repeat twice instead of once like I did the first time I knit these six rows?
Thanks to anyone who can help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eja615
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2006 01:59:57 PM »

I'll try to answer this in a non-confusing way. For the pattern repeats, you'll do them once the first time you knit those six rows, twice the next time, and so on until you're actually repeating it 14 times.  When you repeat, you just jump back to the first box in the red square that marks the repeat section.

As for the "no stitch" squares...since the number of stitches you have on your needles increases every row, each row doesn't have the same number of stitches and, hence, on a chart, the same number of boxes.  Ignore these "no stitch spaces."  They do help you to see the shape of what you're knitting.  Many people who are visually oriented like them for that reason. 

I like the article on the subject from knitty:

http://www.knitty.com/issuewinter04/FEATcharts.html

Or this one from a blog:

http://www.thedietdiary.com/blog/index.php?p=260

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Caribou

Try to remember. It's only a game.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2006 08:51:13 AM »

That totally cleared up my confusion. Thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissLulu
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2006 08:36:57 AM »

I just cast on last night with some Sea Silk I've had for a year. Am enjoying it so far!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
meriellyn
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2006 02:53:37 PM »

I got some KnitPicks Shadow (merino laceweight) for Christmas that I hope to do this one in very soon. I think it'll be a good warm up before starting my big '07 project (full sized circular shawl). I've done a little lace but not with anything lighter than fingering weight (pretty light fingering weight though).

I didn't notice the p5tog in the pattern before but I'm super happy about the alternative suggestions.

I'd like to do this on my one of my interchangable sets but I'm a pretty loose knitter (have to go down 2 needle sizes, usually) so sadly, that may not be possible. Tongue I guess this one ends up too large for short straights, huh?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

meriellyn
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2007 10:22:01 PM »

Well, I finally got around to starting this tonight! LOL Between working on a couple other projects and then an unfortunate accident, I was knocked back a bit.
But the important part is I started, right?  Grin
I got through the first budding lace part and two repeats of the second budding lace part. So far so good. Smiley
Is anyone else working on this now, maybe?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ben Ford Demonstrates How to Test Wellness of Meat
Former Senator James Webb on Family and the Military
Jackie Collins Celebrates the Release of Her 30th Book!
James Joyce Changed My Life
Head Of CPI Explains Why He Gave Bylines To ABC Producers
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...