A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
493 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Swallowtail Shawl IK Fall 06  (Read 7017 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

icantotallymakethat
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006 06:59:28 PM »

When knitting lace, it's completely normal for the yarn to seem too fine for the needles you're using. That's how you end up with a lovely, light fabric. So no worries about that.   

There are a couple things that I didn't learn until after I'd knit a couple of lace projects that now I find really helpful. Sorry if I'm repeating things you already know, but for some reason these things weren't obvious to me.  Smiley  If you haven't done lace before, you might want to try using wooden or bamboo needles. Metal can be too slippery sometimes, making it easy for stitches to escape. And another thing that helps is to use stitch markers between repeats of the pattern. If you make a mistake and end up with too many or too few stitches, the markers make it easy to figure out where exactly the problem is.

You should definitely give it a try! It's really fun to watch how the fabric looks as it grows, and you will get lots of ooh-ing and aah-ing from friends.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinggodess
my mom thinks im cool.............

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006 06:58:51 PM »

thank you so much for your advice , there are some things that they dont tell you in all the lace articles ive been reading. I am going to cast on tonight!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wanna be crafty, not quite there yet
crnaofca
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2006 09:00:20 AM »

I would really like to make it,but there's no chances to get a patern overhere in Slovenija...

oo, someone from my part of world:) finally:)

(sorry for offtopic:))
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Candy doesn't have to have a point. That's why it's candy.
~~~~~~
Will knit for PJ pants:) PM me:)
~~~~~~
Anyone interested in swapping Steve Jackson's "Munchkin" custom cards?
Donnna
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006 12:27:33 AM »

Nice to meet you overhere,have you got the patern already??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
icantotallymakethat
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2006 06:50:37 PM »

Does anyone have progress reports on their shawls? Mine is going okay. I only have three more of the budding lace left, so I'll be interested to see how the switch to the next lace pattern goes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
icantotallymakethat
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2006 04:59:55 PM »

Well, I switched to the next section and about twenty stitches into the second row of that, I remembered that Lily of the Valley lace is hard. I just can't get that purl 5 together thing right, for some reason. I'm never sure if the tip of the right needle is going through all 5 stitches in the way that it should, and then if I pull it back out to make sure, suddenly there are only 4 stitches where there most definitely should be 5. Grr. Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rion165
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2006 09:53:40 PM »

basically i knit qutie loosely. and especially for the nupps, i applied the least strength when i do the k1 yo k1 yo k1. If these 5 sts are done loosely, you should be able to draw the loop through the 5 sts.

good luck with the nupps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

strangebutcher
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2006 12:53:31 PM »

hey all i actually finished about a week ago but due to camera issues haven't had a chance to post pics. hopefully this week sometime though. mine came out a bit small but like i said before i probably should have gone up a needle size or two. i still love the results. someone posted a pretty good solution to the nupp issue on one of the other knitalong pages that worked for me. instead of doing purl 5 tog. do slip the first three (of the five) knit two together and pass the three slip stitches over.  abbrev. it would look like: s3k2p. it seemed to give the same results i tried to purl five together for two rows before getting really frustrated. i hope that helps and if you need clarification just ask I'm not always the best at explaining things without a visual aid!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

icantotallymakethat
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006 03:29:31 PM »

Thanks for the advice! I will try again and see if things go better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ajoursteek
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2006 11:21:03 AM »

Hi,
5 p tog. = a disaster.
But I managed it (just slip 4, p the 5th and pass over the 4 slipst.)

See pic's on my blog, they are unblocked, this coming week will be pic's of a blocked white alpaca Swallowtail.
My first difficult lace project, so I'm proud!
Groeten uit Holland
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wear Cool Winter Riding Boots Like Emma Roberts And Zoe Saldana
Stylish Celeb Moms-to-Be
Rock a Faux Fur Vest Like Nicole Richie and Rihanna
Holiday Looks for Women
Holiday Party Looks Under $200
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...