A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,492
Currently Running With Scissors:
551 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Swallowtail Shawl IK Fall 06  (Read 7268 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rion165
« on: August 08, 2006 06:51:21 AM »

Anyone game for this?
http://swallowtailshawl.blogspot.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

angellical
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006 08:27:16 AM »

I'm in! I cast on yesterday and am up to Budding Lace 2. Hopefully I'll finish this one! Smiley

I'm using KnitPicks' Gloss with size 6 needles but I think I may need to start over in size 5. What are you using?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rion165
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006 10:31:32 AM »

I might be using Gloss too. It still being enrouted to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rion165
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006 10:43:19 PM »

someone has update on http://swallowtailshawl.blogspot.com/ about her finished shawl.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Donnna
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006 01:33:46 AM »

I would really like to make it,but there's no chances to get a patern overhere in Slovenija...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockadot
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006 08:46:10 AM »

I googled the suggested yarn and it is on sale for $5 or $6 at onefineyarn.com. You only need one skein, so with shipping it might come to maybe $8 or $9.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

icantotallymakethat
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006 03:38:52 PM »

I just started this the other day. I'm using Jaggerspun Zephyr in a beautiful brown color. The finished shawl pic on the blog that rion165 linked to is just beautiful. One post on that blog also mentions that she kept dropping yarnovers, which I've also had some problems with. It seems like it's always the one right next to the center marker, but I'm not sure what exactly I'm doing that lets them drop off the needle. So far I've managed to fix all of them without much trouble.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
strangebutcher
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006 07:31:31 PM »

i started knitting this a few days ago. im using a sport weight alpaca  handspun that ive had laying around for awhile. its turning out pretty well although im a little nervous that the gauge may be a bit tight. we'll see i suppose and i may just have to give a mean blocking session. i have four more pattern repeats left with the budding lace chart then its on to the final three charts. im pretty excited about it. i havent run into the issue with dropping the yarn overs but thats probably because im using a heavier gauge yarn. ill post progress picks after the budding lace is done and you can let me know what you think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

canarysanctuary
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006 10:07:05 AM »

Can't wait to join!  Still waiting on my copy in the mail Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am because my little bird knows me."
http://canaryknits.blogspot.com/

"Gentlemen! We can't *all* be the Honey-Nut Cheerios honeybee!" -Crow
knittinggodess
my mom thinks im cool.............

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006 06:32:03 PM »

I love this pattern and wanted to make it for my mom. But i have never done lace I have 3 skiens of misti alpaca laceweight but it feels way to small for  the 3.5 needles and i can barely feel the yarn in my hands. Is this normal for knitting lace? I hope im up to the challenge
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wanna be crafty, not quite there yet
icantotallymakethat
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006 06:59:28 PM »

When knitting lace, it's completely normal for the yarn to seem too fine for the needles you're using. That's how you end up with a lovely, light fabric. So no worries about that.   

There are a couple things that I didn't learn until after I'd knit a couple of lace projects that now I find really helpful. Sorry if I'm repeating things you already know, but for some reason these things weren't obvious to me.  Smiley  If you haven't done lace before, you might want to try using wooden or bamboo needles. Metal can be too slippery sometimes, making it easy for stitches to escape. And another thing that helps is to use stitch markers between repeats of the pattern. If you make a mistake and end up with too many or too few stitches, the markers make it easy to figure out where exactly the problem is.

You should definitely give it a try! It's really fun to watch how the fabric looks as it grows, and you will get lots of ooh-ing and aah-ing from friends.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinggodess
my mom thinks im cool.............

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006 06:58:51 PM »

thank you so much for your advice , there are some things that they dont tell you in all the lace articles ive been reading. I am going to cast on tonight!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wanna be crafty, not quite there yet
crnaofca
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2006 09:00:20 AM »

I would really like to make it,but there's no chances to get a patern overhere in Slovenija...

oo, someone from my part of world:) finally:)

(sorry for offtopic:))
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Candy doesn't have to have a point. That's why it's candy.
~~~~~~
Will knit for PJ pants:) PM me:)
~~~~~~
Anyone interested in swapping Steve Jackson's "Munchkin" custom cards?
Donnna
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006 12:27:33 AM »

Nice to meet you overhere,have you got the patern already??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
icantotallymakethat
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2006 06:50:37 PM »

Does anyone have progress reports on their shawls? Mine is going okay. I only have three more of the budding lace left, so I'll be interested to see how the switch to the next lace pattern goes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
icantotallymakethat
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2006 04:59:55 PM »

Well, I switched to the next section and about twenty stitches into the second row of that, I remembered that Lily of the Valley lace is hard. I just can't get that purl 5 together thing right, for some reason. I'm never sure if the tip of the right needle is going through all 5 stitches in the way that it should, and then if I pull it back out to make sure, suddenly there are only 4 stitches where there most definitely should be 5. Grr. Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rion165
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2006 09:53:40 PM »

basically i knit qutie loosely. and especially for the nupps, i applied the least strength when i do the k1 yo k1 yo k1. If these 5 sts are done loosely, you should be able to draw the loop through the 5 sts.

good luck with the nupps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

strangebutcher
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2006 12:53:31 PM »

hey all i actually finished about a week ago but due to camera issues haven't had a chance to post pics. hopefully this week sometime though. mine came out a bit small but like i said before i probably should have gone up a needle size or two. i still love the results. someone posted a pretty good solution to the nupp issue on one of the other knitalong pages that worked for me. instead of doing purl 5 tog. do slip the first three (of the five) knit two together and pass the three slip stitches over.  abbrev. it would look like: s3k2p. it seemed to give the same results i tried to purl five together for two rows before getting really frustrated. i hope that helps and if you need clarification just ask I'm not always the best at explaining things without a visual aid!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

icantotallymakethat
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006 03:29:31 PM »

Thanks for the advice! I will try again and see if things go better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ajoursteek
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2006 11:21:03 AM »

Hi,
5 p tog. = a disaster.
But I managed it (just slip 4, p the 5th and pass over the 4 slipst.)

See pic's on my blog, they are unblocked, this coming week will be pic's of a blocked white alpaca Swallowtail.
My first difficult lace project, so I'm proud!
Groeten uit Holland
THIS ROCKS   Logged

icantotallymakethat
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2006 10:16:55 AM »

For the nupps, I started slipping three, purling two together, and passing the slipped stitches over. It's still a little awkward but is not longer impossible.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indieanajess
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2006 11:19:17 AM »

Okay, I feel kinda silly asking this, but.....

are you supposed to knit this on circulars? Since it ends up big? I've never made a shawl before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The frontal lobe is where it's at!
eja615
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2006 02:20:03 PM »

I don't remember what the pattern says, but I prefer to use circulars for all projects that are large-ish.

I'm making the Flower Basket Shawl from IK Fall 2004 right now (same designer as the Swallowtail), and I actually switched to circulars because my stitches were getting crowded on the straight needles.

Especially with lace, it's easier if you can spread your stitches out...helps you to keep your place!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indieanajess
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2006 02:58:55 PM »

I don't remember what the pattern says, but I prefer to use circulars for all projects that are large-ish.

I'm making the Flower Basket Shawl from IK Fall 2004 right now (same designer as the Swallowtail), and I actually switched to circulars because my stitches were getting crowded on the straight needles.

Especially with lace, it's easier if you can spread your stitches out...helps you to keep your place!

That makes sense. I thought about it after I started. I'll go find some...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Violet
constantly craftsterbating

and a half

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2006 08:14:05 AM »

i just ordered my yarn for this project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my knitting blog: http://violetsknits.blogspot.com
preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '........................................................')
boycott sew fast, sew easy! visit www.freetostitchfreetobitch.org
indieanajess
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2006 08:42:57 AM »

Um...does anyone have some advice for frogging mohair?

Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ednathewitch
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2006 09:05:13 AM »

Frogging? Ouch.

Some people say sticking the whole thing in the freezer for a bit makes it easier to frog. Pretty much just tink back a stitch at a time and you'll be less likely to damage the yarn.

If you're feeling particularly brave, you can drop the stitches in question and pick it back up in pattern. For that, you need zero distractions and a stiff drink. This was my correction method of choice when knitting (screwing up) Kiri.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ever feel that you *have* to use a signature?

nytefalle.com/blog | nytefalle.etsy.com
indieanajess
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2006 09:16:01 AM »

Frogging? Ouch.

Some people say sticking the whole thing in the freezer for a bit makes it easier to frog. Pretty much just tink back a stitch at a time and you'll be less likely to damage the yarn.

If you're feeling particularly brave, you can drop the stitches in question and pick it back up in pattern. For that, you need zero distractions and a stiff drink. This was my correction method of choice when knitting (screwing up) Kiri.

Thanks! I've heard of the freezer thing before. I'll have to give it a shot. Stitch by stitch will take a while, but I guess it will have to do...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MsPete
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2006 12:35:48 AM »

Hi
I love this pattern, but have never knitted lace before.  I am a bit lost with the the chart and directions.  How do you get from 7 stitches to 27?  Can someone help me please.   
Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hitch your wagon to a star.  Ralph Waldo Emerson
indieanajess
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2006 07:27:44 AM »

Hi
I love this pattern, but have never knitted lace before.  I am a bit lost with the the chart and directions.  How do you get from 7 stitches to 27?  Can someone help me please.   
Thanks

I was confused by this when I started, too. All those yarn overs will increase your stitches to 27.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

icantotallymakethat
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2006 04:01:54 PM »

I just posted pictures of my finished swallowtail over on the completed projects board:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=126058.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MsPete
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2006 07:23:44 PM »

Thank you so much for your help!  It is coming along nicely now. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hitch your wagon to a star.  Ralph Waldo Emerson
AWynkoop
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2006 11:31:17 AM »

I just finished this last night! It only took 2 and a half weeks to knit and I am very happy with the results! I thought this was a very easy pattern and a great choice for a first lace project!
I used KnitPicks Memories; color Redwood Forest, 2 skeins. Knit on size 4 circs. Pics are on my blog http://auntieamandaknits.blogspot.com/2006/10/swallowtail-shawl-from-ik-fall-06.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would like to swap my knits (or amigurumi stuffies) for your handmade journal...pm me!

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.~Winston Churchill
jesdmill
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2006 06:47:03 PM »

Wow, that looks really nice!  I made a Clapotis in the redwood forest yarn... isn't it nice?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Caribou

Try to remember. It's only a game.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2006 10:39:26 AM »

Hey everyone! Hopefully someone checks this *gulps*
I started my Swallowtail, and got confused with the chart after I knitted the second Budding Lace chart. The instructions tell you to repeat these six rows 14 times, but I'm confused about the pattern repeats and the no stitch squares. Do I do the pattern repeat twice instead of once like I did the first time I knit these six rows?
Thanks to anyone who can help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eja615
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2006 01:59:57 PM »

I'll try to answer this in a non-confusing way. For the pattern repeats, you'll do them once the first time you knit those six rows, twice the next time, and so on until you're actually repeating it 14 times.  When you repeat, you just jump back to the first box in the red square that marks the repeat section.

As for the "no stitch" squares...since the number of stitches you have on your needles increases every row, each row doesn't have the same number of stitches and, hence, on a chart, the same number of boxes.  Ignore these "no stitch spaces."  They do help you to see the shape of what you're knitting.  Many people who are visually oriented like them for that reason. 

I like the article on the subject from knitty:

http://www.knitty.com/issuewinter04/FEATcharts.html

Or this one from a blog:

http://www.thedietdiary.com/blog/index.php?p=260

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Caribou

Try to remember. It's only a game.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2006 08:51:13 AM »

That totally cleared up my confusion. Thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissLulu
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2006 08:36:57 AM »

I just cast on last night with some Sea Silk I've had for a year. Am enjoying it so far!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
meriellyn
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2006 02:53:37 PM »

I got some KnitPicks Shadow (merino laceweight) for Christmas that I hope to do this one in very soon. I think it'll be a good warm up before starting my big '07 project (full sized circular shawl). I've done a little lace but not with anything lighter than fingering weight (pretty light fingering weight though).

I didn't notice the p5tog in the pattern before but I'm super happy about the alternative suggestions.

I'd like to do this on my one of my interchangable sets but I'm a pretty loose knitter (have to go down 2 needle sizes, usually) so sadly, that may not be possible. Tongue I guess this one ends up too large for short straights, huh?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

meriellyn
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2007 10:22:01 PM »

Well, I finally got around to starting this tonight! LOL Between working on a couple other projects and then an unfortunate accident, I was knocked back a bit.
But the important part is I started, right?  Grin
I got through the first budding lace part and two repeats of the second budding lace part. So far so good. Smiley
Is anyone else working on this now, maybe?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Violet
constantly craftsterbating

and a half

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2007 08:29:19 AM »

i'm two rows away from finishing up my second swallowtail!

it wasn't exceptionally hard the first time around, but doing it a second time was far easier/more enjoyable. maybe it's because i wasn't working on a deadline this time?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my knitting blog: http://violetsknits.blogspot.com
preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '........................................................')
boycott sew fast, sew easy! visit www.freetostitchfreetobitch.org
mahkev
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2007 12:39:07 PM »

Hello everyone, I just found this thread, and I just finished my shawl its still blocking, this is my second time blocking lace so I hope I did it correctly,

I used Lacey Lamb 100 extra fine lambswool, I still have more than half of it left

here is my before and during blocking

I have more pictures on my blog http://moosieknits.blogspot.com/2007/08/swallowtail-shawl-is-now-blockingyes.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2007 03:40:44 PM »

That shawl is absolutely gorgeous! Amazing what blocking can do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
olive415

Moderation in all things, including moderation

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2007 03:43:52 PM »

Wow, that's lovely
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ericadeanna
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2008 05:00:28 PM »

Apparently I missed the boat on this KAL, but I should start mine in the next few days and I'm so excited (with a little terrified mixed in)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook a Turkey
How to make French Bread Pizza
How to Make Cookie Dough Log
Old Fashioned Beef Stew
Super Bowl Party Chicken Wings Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...