A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,787
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Circles and dots blue & blue dress !! Now with tutorial  (Read 98209 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , dress , summer_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ziabox
« on: August 07, 2006 07:00:19 PM »

Finally, finally, finally!
I'm so exited that i finished my first summer dress! I really needed one and the ones i started, for some reason, i never finished them (didnt like them, weren't what i wanted, blah) lol, but this one i did like, i actually love it so much. When i saw the fabric, i wasnt so sure but i went ahead and bought it because it was the only one i liked that was light and streachy and cheap, it was $1.30 USD/ metter.
I started it this morning and worked on it on and off all day. It's a bit hard to sew when there's a little boy pulling on your leg hehehehe.

Here's the dress:

i'm still not sure if it fits my figure or makes me look weird.

sorry the pictures are so crappy, there's no one to take them and these two are the best of the bunch.

Here's a close up of the fabric (i think this one's the best pic Cheesy):

What do you think?

TUTORIAL:

This is my first tutorial so bear with me  Cheesy

These are the pieces you will need:

Measurements:
-Waist
-Skirt Length
-Top dress length, to decide where to put the waist band (mine's about 15 in. from shoulder to waist)

To dut the skirt part just fold your fabric in half and measure half of your waist in a corner, and the length as you would a regular circle skirt.

The waist band is about 2.5 in.

1. Once you have your pieces cut, sew the top parts, back and both fronts (marked in red), first neck to shoulder and then attatch the sleeves but dont close them, yet.

2. Sew together the back with the wrap parts (marked in green).   
   Attatch the neckline band:  fold it in half and while you sew it streach it a little.
   Nos sew the waist ban to the top part of the dress.  I found it easier to sew the wrap parts (or pin them) how i wanted them before sewing the waist band.

3. Sew the skirt to the waist band (in pink) and close the waist band and skirt together (orange)

Hem the skirt if the fabric needs it, and sew the sleeve bands to the sleeves gathering the sleeves a little (or a lot) to create puffiness (also streach the bands while sewing).

And ta da! you have a wonderful summer dress! (or all year round dress depending on the color and fabric!)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006 11:18:16 AM by ziabox » THIS ROCKS   Logged
alisonwonderland
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006 07:10:53 PM »

That dress looks amazing on you! it is so cute and I think it fits your figure perfectly, definitely does not look weird! Good job, especially with the little boy pullin on your leg, it's true they can be very distracting and make things difficult Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't seem to be the same today as I was yesterday.
pastiche
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006 07:22:09 PM »

that is an awesome dress.
i love the fabric!
did you use a pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snowyangel
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006 07:29:55 PM »

I really like the fabric, you gotta love retro c'mon! I think it looks great and comfortable too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Funky hand bags, pillows, cat toys and more UNDER $25...
www.snowyangel.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/snowyangel2000
starryeyed
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006 07:37:52 PM »

It's fabulous great!! Where'd you find such great fabric? Could you post a tutorial?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ziabox
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006 07:53:50 PM »

Thanks for all the comments! You girls are so great! I really thought it looked a bit weird lol
I didnt use a pattern, i was inspired by a dress a friend has, so i pictured in my head how i would go about making it and i just cut it, the top parts i traced a shirt that fitted me well and the skirt part ... well.... i had to think about it really really hard because i didnt want to waste any fabric  Tongue  Tongue  but it's a half circle skirt, i think that's what it's called.

I got the fabric from a local store that sells scraps and fabric they get from [probably] fabrics in LA or something like that. It's like a family business, but i BET you can get something as cute and maybe even more in joann's or a big store like that. There's one need (san diego) that i've never been but very curious of what they have but i'm way too lazy to sit in my car to cross the border.
Sure i can make a tutorial. It'll make it simple and posted, hopefully, tomorrow.

Thanks again! I'm very happy you all liked it.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stefferoni
cinderelly cinderelly

mini me

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006 07:57:15 PM »

it's great! i like how it drapes in the front...and the fabric!  Shocked only $1.30 is an awesome deal. looking forward to the tute. thanks for being generous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

will do personal swaps, please.  i have tons of fabrics..you have?? wanna trade?

www.mangojellie.etsy.com

"This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how sheep's bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes."
coreisten
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006 08:15:13 PM »

WOW!

Great dress, it looks so cute on you. That's amazing fabric
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vampirategurrl08
I'm kind of a big deal.

That's how I roll!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006 10:44:20 PM »

gorgeous! it looks so flattering too!
the fabric looks great also.
nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Torn apart at the seams and my dreams turn to tears.

http://www.wists.com/kyy08
writeforme
the princess Tessa

^I love him in a thousand ways.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006 11:05:26 PM »

Wowwww. You have the body type that looks good in like anything, but that is seriously very stunning. *feels covetious*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Morality, like art, means drawing a line someplace." -- Oscar Wilde

11:11 am
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 20/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 2/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 16/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 21/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 1/29
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...