A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 303,173
Currently Running With Scissors:
461 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Newbie Crocheter and Pain in Wrist  (Read 869 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: August 07, 2006 03:05:58 AM »

hi! i just recently discovered joy of crocheting, i'm normally a knitter. yesterday i was crocheting for, lets say, 2 hours, and my wrist was in horrible pain. i hold the needle as suggested in happy hooker. am i holding it wrong, is it because i'm newbie, or maybe because i'm lefty, and i crochet (and knit) with right hand, or should i just quit crocheting cause it is dangerous for wrists?Smiley what can i do to minimize pain?

and ideas, suggestions?

Candy doesn't have to have a point. That's why it's candy.
Will knit for PJ pants:) PM me:)
Anyone interested in swapping Steve Jackson's "Munchkin" custom cards?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006 03:54:27 AM »

IMO, crocheting isn't more dangerous for wrists than doing a lot of writing, typing, mouse using, etc. It's just a matter of being smart and listening to the cues your body gives you. If it hurts, stop doing what makes pain.

That said, I got a fair amount of wrist and elbow pain when I first started crocheting. Some of it was getting used to holding a tool (the hook) differently than I usually hold things, moving my wrist in a different manner, crocheting too tight, and holding the tool wrong. I still get pain if I spend too much time on one project/stitch/movement, so I do a number of different projects at once.

My primary suggestion for stopping the pain is simply stopping when you feel pain. Rest the sore area until the pain dissipates, then resume.

I sell stuff too! SkyWorks ~ It's all about the wistlists, babeee!

I do personal swaps... PM me.

this is my boom stick

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006 08:56:52 AM »

I get a lot of elbow pain when I crochet if I'm not careful.  If I support my elbow on the arm of a chair or the couch it doesn't hurt nearly as much and I can crochet a lot longer.

Let me have my little, guiltless moment of pleasure.  I have the rest of my life to be virtuous, and the rest of eternity to be dead.--J. Poniewozik
I Love Disney, My Husband Loves Shakira!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006 10:08:38 AM »

Make sure that you are supporting your arms--when I first began, I put a pillow in my lap to hold my arms up.  Make sure that your back is also supported--I used to have a lot of shoulder pain from hunching over a project.  Now, I either sit on the couch or on the floor with my back against something.  Eventually, your hands and arms will become stronger, but be sure to take breaks while you're working to get up and walk around and stretch out your fingers.  If all else fails, take some advil! Grin  My hands tend to hurt more if I'm using smaller hooks for long periods of time.  I try to have several projects going at once so I can switch back and forth between quick projects and more tedious ones.

I took up running so that I could eat more, not because it feels good.  haha
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006 08:23:21 PM »

Where does it hurt? I have carpal tunnel and crocheting hurts it alot more than anything else. I bought a brace that allows my fingers to move still and that seems to help.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006 09:11:05 PM »

My hands and wrists cramped like you woudn't believe when I first started learning to crochet!  But now that I"ve been doing it forever, it doesn't happen much...only when I find my tension is too tight.

So on that note.....are you crocheting loosely or tightly?  If you are crocheting tightly, try loosening up some.

I've also noticed that I have tension issues when I Single Crochet alot (like with amigurumi) but don't have that problem with you know....grannie squares because those Double crochets are so easy to fly through.

..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006 11:18:37 AM »

You can hold the hook loosely.  There are 2 ways to hold the hook: like a knife (this way is more like a knitting needle) or like a pencil.  Maybe try switching the way you hold the hook.

I've found that every new craft has its own set of initial pains.  A knitting cramp is different than a crocheting cramp.  Recently I found that the perler beading cramp is a new thing altogether. 

Just be sure to take breaks and you muscles will eventually build up and you won't be so sore. 

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Bengal Tiger Lentil Curry and Spinach Raita
Gordon Ramsay Struggles to Make Naan Bread
Bulgogi Tacos Recipe
How to Make Nam Prik Gaeng Kiew Wan
How to Make Coconut Sticky Rice
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...