A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
585 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: do you like to make things twice? or just sell original?  (Read 445 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

art_rainbows
« on: August 07, 2006 12:37:03 AM »

when i make things, i only like making them once, should i just make more if people want to buy them? or should i sell them as exclusiveS?

what do you do?

also do you make goods in advance (duplicates that is!) before ppl order them? or do you wait till they order?

Smiley thanks so much in advance for your time!
have a nice day
THIS ROCKS   Logged
diosaperdida
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006 12:40:03 AM »

I got into the make it over and over habit in knitting and crochet..in painting..it varies. Sometimes I will do the same theme to death...other times..that wouldnt work..like a commissioned portrait....or some oddball idea I have and once would be plenty and I wonder where it came from anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
Daisygirl

2 kids, 2 cats, 2 birds...why didn't I get 2 men?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006 08:55:06 AM »

When I get a specific order I usually make 2 or 3 copies to have. I find that people want exactly what they see alot of the time and don't want any variations because they can't "see" them.  It's so much easier to put together 3 bags at the same time than making one three times.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006 01:34:06 PM »

I like making OOAKs.  I just found out HOW much I'd rather make OOAK things because I had a customer order 5 more of something I'd made for him.  Now it's just labor, not a labor of love.  I think part of the charm of having a custom order is that it is less likely to be duplicated.  Now that I'm making 5 of the exact same thing (custom tote bags) I'm kinda over it.

I also had someone order 20 small items that are all the same.  Even though the bulk of the work was done on my embroidery machine, I was so sick of looking at the same design by the time I got finished!

I tend to buy fabrics I like in 1/2 yard and 1 yard increments.  When it's gone, it's gone.  Sometimes I can get more, but oftentimes, that's it.  I like it that way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://babygoinplaces.com
Baby Goin' Places--for the baby on the go!  Slings, pocketchangers, custom clothing, and now custom monogramming and embroidery!
http://babygoinplaces.etsy.com
art_rainbows
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006 10:28:24 AM »

I like making OOAKs.  I just found out HOW much I'd rather make OOAK things because I had a customer order 5 more of something I'd made for him.  Now it's just labor, not a labor of love.  I think part of the charm of having a custom order is that it is less likely to be duplicated.  Now that I'm making 5 of the exact same thing (custom tote bags) I'm kinda over it.

I also had someone order 20 small items that are all the same.  Even though the bulk of the work was done on my embroidery machine, I was so sick of looking at the same design by the time I got finished!

I tend to buy fabrics I like in 1/2 yard and 1 yard increments.  When it's gone, it's gone.  Sometimes I can get more, but oftentimes, that's it.  I like it that way.

what is OOAKS???  Embarrassedsorri i dunno Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ktlovecrafts
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006 10:49:06 AM »

I'm guessing that OOAK = One of a kind
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006 01:11:24 PM »

Depends on what it is and how difficult, the materials, how much room you might have for inventory, or if you want to/have the ability to concentrate on moving a particular item. Sometimes it's more cost-effective to make the same thing over and over; you get better and faster, which means you make more money for your time expended.

I make cards, so the more same cards I can make the better. That way I don't have to re-invent the wheel and can just print, cut, embellish, assemble.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Crazy Crayons
How to Decorate Bags with Apples
How to Make a Personalized Fish-Themed Invitation
How to Make a Forest Diorama
How to Create a String Spiderweb
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...