A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,370
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: creating a brand for your products  (Read 631 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

minijubilee
« on: July 21, 2006 01:33:58 PM »

for those of you interested in designing a brand for your products, this article talks about the basics, including what needs to be on the brand design, what different ways you can put your brand onto your products, and why branding your products adds value to the things you've created.
http://www.fiveandahalf.net/blog/2006/07/21/creating-a-brand-of-your-own/
~ hope it's helpful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stereoette
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006 09:54:06 AM »

this is something that i've been thinking about a lot lately. I feel like the things i've been crafting are somewhat disjointed except for the fact that they are all marked "stereoette." does anybody have any ideas beyond what is in the (very helpful) fiveandahalf article to establishing your "style" (which i think is an important part of branding!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.stereoette.com

handmade with my headphones on
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006 11:55:43 AM »

As far as style goes, you have to consider form, materials, consistency, colors and a host of other things, plus your audiences' expectations and desires thrown in. You don't necessarily have to "own" a style; you can work instead with product lines which have similarities. Some folks spend years at school to learn how to do it. If you're serious about style, you might try to eliminate the variety of products and stick to, say, clothing and bags.

Looking at your products, there's nothing there to hold it all together. It's a random sampling of potential to me, and there aren't that many products to consider in a "line", much less a style, plus the variety from clothing to stationary. That said, maybe you haven't found your style yet, or it hasn't found you, which can sometimes be how it works.

Check out the inspire link below; she recently added jewelry to her line, and I was afraid it would be the typical beads, but she used her style to advantage, and it fits right in with her other items.

http://www.inspireyourworld.etsy.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stereoette
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006 02:01:52 PM »

dear craftychef,

thankyouthankyouthankyou for the advice! you have echoed a few things i have been thinking about.  right now, what i have in the shop is merch left over from a craft fair, and I havent put the stationery up in the shop because... well, I'm not really sure why ;o)

However, I have been trying to come up with a few common themes and ideas to pull things together. for example, I plan to stencil some tees/skirts/dresses with cartoons, and use similar ones on my cards. I also plan to do some cards with the "hearts and clouds" motif i have in my jewelry (also, the hearts and stars I am currently sold out of)  I'm not quite sure how I want to tie the bags in yet, but I think it will be along these lines.

I am going to do a "re-launch" once I get some of these ideas manifest in actual creation.

hopefully my style and i will pass each other in the street sometime soon ;o)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaffagirl1

Summer's kiss is over, baby

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006 08:36:01 PM »

Stereoette,

You should also try watching some runway shows. I think you can still see them at www.vogue.com. After you watch a few you can see how a designer develops a theme for the season; although every piece is not exactly the same, the pieces do flow together. It's about telling a story and having a point a view. If you can find them, look at Chanel collections from the past few seasons. Chanel is a good house to study if you want to learn about signature style because you can look at a Chanel dress from 20 years ago and know it's Chanel.

Amy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Curse softly to me, baby, and smother me in your love. Temptation comes not from hell but from above.
stereoette
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006 11:03:29 AM »

hee hee... runway shows are my addiction. you can watch them during fashion week on local tv here in new york! i tend to blog fashion week, but this year i skipped the couture shows...

anyhow, back on topic...

i think until this thread I hadnt really imagined my stuff as a "collection" but i've been really re-thinking everything over the last week, from merchandise to the way my site looks, to the way i plan to market it. this thread has helped me change to conceiving my work as a "line" or a "collection" of things that can stand on their own, but also work together... now i just have to execute!

y'all... thanks so much for your advice! i feel like i've taken over minijubilee's thread, and for that i'm sorry, but know you're really helping me (and possible other craftster readers!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

arrhythmia
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006 07:38:07 AM »

This is a very helpful discussion! Thanks for the links, and thank you minijubilee for the thread!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tapping Into the Creative Culture of East LA
Setting Los Angeles in a California Literary Context
The Many Languages of California
Suzanne R. Krauss Talks About Her Book "To Vegas and Back"
Kevin Starr: California Is a Concept
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce
Mountain Views
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...