A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,704
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lefty Knitting??  (Read 808 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kiwimonkey
« on: August 06, 2006 10:50:27 AM »

Alright so here's my deal.
I've got this STRONG desire to learn a fiber art.
I've been trying to learn crochet.... well pretty much all my life.  And I just can't get it. Something about being a lefty I guess. I'm a visual person, and I cannot for the life of me see what I'm supposed to do with crochet.
I've also noticed that a lot of other lefties have problems learning crochet.

I was just wondering if it was any easier for a lefty to learn knitting?
I'd love to hear from any southpaws out there who've tried both. Or anyone else who has an opinion Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I ♥ swaps!
talmina
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006 09:34:36 PM »

I was lucky because my Mum's a lefty so I didn't have too much trouble, but she had a nightmare of a time when her Mum taught her, especially since Gran is one of those people who has trouble reversing images in her mind. 

But you aren't the only one who has trouble learning crochet.  Argh, and I really wanna make that crochet corset in the spring/summer 2006 VK, its beckoning at me I swear!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
diosaperdida
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006 09:36:11 PM »

I am a lefty who does both...I have to say that honestly neither was too hard to learn...I looked at a picture in a "learn to" type of booklet and reversed what I saw. That said..I run into far more problems and adjustments to make in knitting than crochet. It can be a bit of an experiment to see if I need to reverse directions..I never just start on something that has an unfamiliar technique or stitch until working through it on a swatch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
yarn freak

More Yarn Please

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006 09:54:19 PM »

I knit with the yarn in my left hand. My mom taught me and she learned in Finland. I guess differnet regions of the world knit with different techniques. Anyway, my friend saw me knitting and said I knit like a lefty, news to me. The way I purl is called Norweign purl. You may want to google and see what comes up maybe there will be directions for the knit stitch with the left hand as well. I know Interweave knits did an article on Norweign purl techinique.

Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancingbarefoot
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006 11:22:22 PM »

If you knit continental, it's pretty much a non-handed job. I'm right-handed, and my mom is left-handed, and we both knit continental. Some lefties knit in reverse (moving stitches across from left to right rather than the more typical right to left), but most lefty knitters I know don't. You use both hands anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1. All fungi are edible.
2. Some fungi are not edible more than once.
~~Terry Pratchett~~

my blog | index of free machine knitting patterns
diosaperdida
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006 11:47:46 PM »

When it comes to the continental issue..I have to say I do a complete reverse continental..I hold the yarn in my right hand and knit left to right..the stitches being knitted are on my right needle..I reversed  a pic of continental knitting done by a right hander....in every way.
I thought of this thread just now after a frustrating evening working on a new-to-me cable stitch pattern..I only reversed HALF of it...sigh..

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
crnaofca
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006 01:21:31 AM »

i'm lefty, and i both knit and crochet like a right-handed person. it was easier to learn that way, then to mirror all images. think of all things you already use with right hand.. computer mouse, scissors, etc... we are very good in adapting:)

if you really want to learn it reversed, use a mirror. put a mirror next to your video or pictures and look for instructions in the mirror:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Candy doesn't have to have a point. That's why it's candy.
~~~~~~
Will knit for PJ pants:) PM me:)
~~~~~~
Anyone interested in swapping Steve Jackson's "Munchkin" custom cards?
talmina
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006 01:32:12 AM »

When it comes to the continental issue..I have to say I do a complete reverse continental..I hold the yarn in my right hand and knit left to right..the stitches being knitted are on my right needle..I reversed  a pic of continental knitting done by a right hander....in every way.
I thought of this thread just now after a frustrating evening working on a new-to-me cable stitch pattern..I only reversed HALF of it...sigh..

I knit reverse continental too, when I knit continental, I normally knit english though, also reversed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stringy
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006 02:24:21 AM »

I'm a lefty who knits English style - I do it a bit funny, with my right needle resting on my hip, and by moving my left needle around a lot more than is usual. It's just easier for me to control everything with my left hand that way. I know a couple of other knitters who are also lefties who do it the same way.

Most lefties either do what I do, or knit Continental - very few learn to knit in mirror-style. I'm sure you could learn if you had someone to show you, especially if you're a visual learner that might be better than learning from a book.

If you do want to try mirror-style, someone's done a write-up of it somewhere...
mirrored knitting
and
modified Continental knitting

Edited to add: that modified Continental looks like it would be pretty good, I think I'll give it a go instead of fiddling around with English style!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006 02:26:06 AM by stringy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
toothy
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006 05:53:10 AM »

Hurray for Lefties!!!
My mother taught me to knit 7, 8, 9 times before it stuck; American Style (I "throw" the yarn) and right handed.  It does not truly require a lot of dexterity.  The left hand holds the work and the right hand sticks the needle in the stitch, brings the yarn around and sets the tension.  I would guess the main advantage to learning right handed is it might make pattern reading easier although, I don't suspect it makes a whole lot of difference.

Dunno, seems to me, as a lefty, I'm so used to "translating" from righties it doesn't make a lot of difference unless there is some true dexterity involved (like, writing, which I do really poorly anyway(-: ).  I even use scissors and nail clippers for my animals in which ever hand is most comfortable.

Dive in, with either hand and have a great time!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop Express Beta - Software Review
Adobe Photoshop CS4 Icons - Software Review
How to Create Gallery Image Part 2/2
How to Make an Unbelievable Image in Photoshop
How to Enhance a Dandelion Image in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...