A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,089
Currently Running With Scissors:
451 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knit Star Scarf  (Read 56177 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kbauer
Yarn Geek, Lover of Rainbows

I wear my heart on my sleeve.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #190 on: July 08, 2007 02:52:14 PM »

kbauer, definitely look at knittinghelp.com.

here, she has videos of how to use 2 colors (intarsia method) and how to double knit:
http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/

if you want to knit this regularly and not double, you would have to use intarsia to make the stars. this means lots of ends you need to deal. i suggest you learn to knit regularly and then try double knitting...its really not much different from regular AND it will save you the trouble of intarsia. if you can knit and purl, you can DEFINITELY double knit without much trouble.

if you REALLY dont want to double knit, you can try doing this in the round.

but to tell you the truth, it just wouldnt be the same  Undecided

good luck!

Thank you very much for the tips and website!! I can knit & purl. My first knit project was the Isabeau purse. I am 100% self-taught, so hopefully I can figure double knitting & intarsia out too. I will most likely get the hang of intarsia (changing colors, right?) & then try my hand at double knitting. Once again, thank you! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Completely rainbow obsessed SAHM to 3 & hoping to add #4 to our family this fall!

Have old jeans, pillowcases, or t-shirts? I'll take them! I'm also always looking for the sleeves to women's long sleeved shirts!

<3 I heart Rupert Grint! <3
kbauer

« Reply #191 on: July 08, 2007 05:46:35 PM »

*Just a teeny tiny update*

I read around some more & a lot of people were saying that double knitting was easier than trying to master intarsia, so I decided to give double knitting a try...and I DID IT!!! I've done the first 6 rows of the double knit & and am about to try the chart. I've never worked with a chart before, so hopefully I can wing it. I think I understand the written instructions that go along with it, luckily. Wink If I get the hang of it before the end of the night, I'll post a picture of my progress. If not, it'll have to be tomorrow afternoon sometime after I get out of class & run an errand. Oh, I'm using size 8 circular needles (smallest ones I have) & some leftover black & hot pink Caron Simply Soft yarn. It's turning out pretty good, considering when I started I had no idea what I was doing. haha. My only critique of myself is that I'm having trouble keeping the beginnings & ends of the rows tight. I'm assuming this comes over time with practice? In the mean time, any tips would be definitely appreciated.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Completely rainbow obsessed SAHM to 3 & hoping to add #4 to our family this fall!

Have old jeans, pillowcases, or t-shirts? I'll take them! I'm also always looking for the sleeves to women's long sleeved shirts!

kbauer

« Reply #192 on: July 10, 2007 02:34:17 PM »

Okay...here are my progress pictures. My stars look pretty wonky, but at least I did it!!
"Wrong Side" but I think I like this side better.

"Right Side"

I am still trying to figure out how to get the "slanted" lines on the sides of the stars. Tips? Advice? Comments?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 10, 2007 03:11:27 PM »

No advice, but I love the color combo! It's going to be a very cool scarf!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
kbauer

« Reply #194 on: July 10, 2007 03:30:15 PM »

No advice, but I love the color combo! It's going to be a very cool scarf!

Thank you very much! Smiley It's my favorite color combination. I just wish that the stars didn't look so choppy on the sides, y'know? Oh well, I guess it will come with practice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

silbi

Crafting is a lifelong itch of mine

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 10, 2007 07:24:07 PM »

I just wish that the stars didn't look so choppy on the sides, y'know? Oh well, I guess it will come with practice.

oh yes..i have some advice for you..

first of all GREAT WORK for figuring it out! you are awesome =)

so my advice for neater stars is, pay attention to where the yarn is every time you make a color change. before you use the contrast color, you have to rearrange the yarn (basically twist the two yarns) so that the color you want in front is brought forward to be knitted and the other color is in the back.

hope this helps!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007 07:24:46 PM by silbi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kbauer

« Reply #196 on: July 11, 2007 05:15:53 AM »

I just wish that the stars didn't look so choppy on the sides, y'know? Oh well, I guess it will come with practice.

oh yes..i have some advice for you..

first of all GREAT WORK for figuring it out! you are awesome =)

so my advice for neater stars is, pay attention to where the yarn is every time you make a color change. before you use the contrast color, you have to rearrange the yarn (basically twist the two yarns) so that the color you want in front is brought forward to be knitted and the other color is in the back.

hope this helps!

Aww thanks!  Roll Eyes

Yes, it definitely does! I was noticing that sometimes the yarn that I was using to knit would cross over the other color & it didn't look that great, but I wasn't sure how to fix it. I will definitely try to be more conscious of where my "working" yarn is from now on. Thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

adadancer13

That urks my pickle!

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 22, 2007 12:19:10 AM »

I'm adding this to my to knit list. I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kimbobo-ala-creme
~ Crochet Enthusiast ~

Live every day as if it were your last day.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: December 13, 2007 07:44:11 PM »

Yes, I'm a little late on this... but I've been attempting this scarf for ages... And no matter what I do, I cannot get it to come out stockinette on both sides! (it ends up looking like that bumpy side that's on the back of stockinette on both sides instead)

I've watched the knittinghelp video and that didn't help. @_@ Can anyone help me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dulcinea
If you haven't grown up by the time you're 30, you don't have to!

faciō, ergo sum

« Reply #199 on: December 14, 2007 02:50:03 AM »

when you are double knitting.......

you have both strands of yarn to the back, and you knit the stitch with the color you want to be on that side.

now, bring BOTH strands of yarn to the front to purl, and purl that next stitch in the color that goes on the reverse side

and the side you are looking at when you hold your knitting in front of you is the 'knit' side (as opposed to the purl side)

does that help?  the trick is moving BOTH strands of yarn as you knit 1 stitch, then purl the next stitch (just like ribbing)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty and the Blog: My Secret Beauty Weapon
Behind the Scenes: Binky London Makeup
How to Get Soft Pink Lips for a Glowing Complexion
Get a Natural Earth Tone Makeup Look for Fall
Jennifer Lopez Reveals Her Secrets to A Fit Body
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...