A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,647
Currently Running With Scissors:
697 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Being Cheeky @ the WalMart Fabric Counter  (Read 16786 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lalage
Stunt seamstress and textile artist!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2004 10:28:46 AM »

We have the same problem at Fabricland and Fanny's sometimes---next time i'm gonna "pull a Divalea"! If they want to act like it's self serve, i'm gonna self-serve!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cheekymamaof2
It doesn't feel like exercise when you're wearing chiffon.

Forget Stitch n Bitch. Nurse n Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2004 10:57:15 AM »

My walmart isnt so bad, but my local Handy Cocks is terrible. Theres one gal there whos a peach, but the rest of them are really nasty bitchy impatient people who shouldn't have a job that revolves around sharp objects such as scissors. (mainly because a customer is likely to not tolerate the abuse and shove said sharp object directly into bitchy workers posterior.)Anyway...I have a suggestion that when you encounter a generous sweet fabric counter worker...applaud them sincerely. They deserve it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW EASY!
visit www.freetostitchfre etobitch.org
my blogs can be found at livejournal (cheekymama) and blogspot (cheekymamaof2)
blendercrush
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2004 11:39:32 AM »

When you get a not so friendly fabric cutter....it totally helps to either offer to fold it yourself...or just take it and fold it while they are scanning the bolt end.  They are often quite shocked.....and will probably appreciate it especially if there is a line and no back up in site!

I was at WalMart after hours once and found something I really wanted cut.  I found someone in an entirely different department that came over and "figured it out".  Shocking!...or maybe I am still adapting to my new small town life?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DivaLea

Turn inside out before laundering!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2004 12:03:38 PM »

Re everyone who gets crummy help: I had a talk with my daughter about how, if you're serving people, a "bad day" is no excuse. This was after a really horrendous experience at a Marshall's. When I went to Old Navy after, the help was awesome, and I let a manager know right away I was thrilled.
When you're serving people, every customer deserves to be treated like you're fresh as a daisy. There are even ways to handle dolts and belligerent people without sinking to their level.
I say this as someone who works trade shows 2-3 times a year. It's really intense! The best compliment I got was from a friend who remarked that I treated each person differently. 

Re everyone with good help: I always tell them when I'm happy, and everyone should! Sometimes I get really weird looks (I guess thyey're not used to compliments), but the people who are delighted make up for it.

Cheekymama: Hahaha. Sharp objects and bad 'tudes. Ha!

Today at JoAnn, the people were great.

Hey, and I have to credit the craftsters for bolstering my do-it-yourself 'tude!

I highly recommended self-servicing as long as ya ain't stealing! It's a little rebellion against companies who won't train well and then pay people what they're worth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lea
Hiccup
I'm not sure...

What do I do with this?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2004 12:18:53 PM »

I read your story and laughed. That was totally my story about 1.5 months ago. I stood there, ringing that stupid bell and looking at the camera bubbles, forever and a decade, and no one came. This other lady was waiting w/ me and said she was going to go ahead and do it herself (and joked that they should pay us to do the people's job), so I thought "why not? I'm not going to take more than I'm paying for" I was shaking badly and wanted more than the 1 piece I got (I had 3 bolts), but I thought doing it once was enough, and I bolted out of that department.  Grin
« Last Edit: August 14, 2004 12:20:43 PM by Hiccup » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Christie

"Smell the flowers while you can." U2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2004 02:16:33 PM »

Way to go DivaLea and you too Hiccup for taking matters into your own hands!!! Cheesy
It seems rude and irritable sales clerks are universal, espcially at Wally World.  Sometimes I feel like telling them "Take off that How May I Help You? vest, cuz you are a discredit to the whole store policy".  I think it was especially rude when you had serveral other team members standing by and ignoring you as you stood waiting for someone to help.  If I ever find myself in that situation, I'm going to fling my bolt of cloth dramatically on the cutting table, wield the scissors in one hand and the bar code thingy in the other and yell "Remember DivaLea!!" and proceed to cut my fabric and anyone elses who needs it, until security comes and wrestles me to the floor.

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.chiquitasbonitas.com
Cool, Chic, Crochet Fashion
DivaLea

Turn inside out before laundering!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2004 03:44:14 PM »

Rahhhh! Revolution! Cut your own yardage! Be honest! BUT CUT YOUR OWN! Raaar!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lea
moobaa
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2004 05:52:24 PM »

That's absolutely HILARIOUS!

I love it I really do! Good on you! The amount I've times I've stood places waiting to be served! It's a joke really it is! A girls foot can get so sore from tapping! I must say that 1. I don't think I've contemplated serving myself quite like that (though now that idea is there.....) and 2. Not quite sure if I'd have the balls!
I think that if the store is open then there should be somebody there to serve you, that's the whole idea isn't it?!
You did your sneaking honestly at least. (sneeeeeeeeeeeaking. Makes me think Gollum) You printed the right price and cut the right length.
I say good on you! What is that saying? If you want something done and done right you have to do it yourself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Your just jealous cause the voices only want to talk to me!
FunkyOlive
Revolution Rock-making, Screen-printing, "Next Great American Novel"-writing collage artist/enigma.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2004 06:42:25 PM »

I just choked from laughing so hard! Cheesy hahahahaha.
WE FABRIC SHOPPERS SHALL NOT BE SILENCED NOR SHALL WE BE SWAYED BY YOUR SMILEY FACE BUTTONS! WE SHALL OVERCOME!
*runs off to make picket signs*
hehehehehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2004 09:05:39 PM »

lol.  that's a good one.

the only time I ever got fabric at walmart, they rang up the regular price even though it was on clearance and had a sticker saying so.  unfortunitly I didn't notice until the next day, and I never go there.  grrr...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Polymer Clay Beads
How to Make Beaded Watch Bands
How to Make Paper Beads
How to Make Beaded Hoop Earrings
How to Make Beaded Headbands
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...