A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,889
Currently Running With Scissors:
754 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: NO-SEW Infinity Wrap Shirt!!! NOW with MINI-TUTE and PICS!!!  (Read 64191 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 06, 2006 07:43:50 AM »

I want to give props first:
This top is inspired by Rostitchery's infinity dress, (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=104089.0)
AKA: the quickie dress that anyone can make

and combined with the Scarf (basic wrap style) from American Apparel (http://www.americanapparel.net/storefront/movies/6445/

I liked the color on this, due to the infinity dress made by alicelovester .  (page 37 of the quickie/infinity thread)

So, basically, it is a 2-piece shirt.

I don't sew.  Machines hate me, and I have no natural gift for putting things together.  I like to use iron-on fusible webbing (stitch witchery) though!  I have to have help usually for any projects I am working on. 

This is the first thing I have ever made without a pattern or help!

I bought 2 yards (all they had) of this great army green stretchy jersey on Clearance at Wal-Mart, for $2.-

I cut it into 6 pieces, and ironed it together in all the right places.  Then, I wrapped and tied it up!  The whole process took about 30 minutes, and NO SEWING!  Granted, later, I might sew the 'one seam' that Rostitchery uses at the waistband.  But, for now, it is CUTE! It is very sturdy, I don't feel like anything will be revealed or slip or anything!  It has a funky assymetrical front to it (on purpose).

Without further chatter...
You have TOTAL license to be amused and LOL by my silly faces and obnoxious poses!

Front:

Side hem (so you can see how it is assymetrical when it hangs...

Open Back: (no tube/scarf underneath)

Back WITH the tube/scarf under=no bra, no back showing version!

See, I'm a nerd with sleeves!

Total poser, wrapped over the boobs version.

HERE: is my mini tute! I will try to answer any questions you have later...be kind and understanding, this is the first time I have done one of these:

Funny sketched pics intended to help you:

Okay, take 2 yards of fabric:
----Cut 3 pieces, each 12" wide, from the length (see black lines on the 'fabric rectangle' on the diagram).
----These are your 4 main pieces for the top.
----a is the 'scarf' like on the american apparel link above.  Tie it as it's own shirt, or OVER the other shirt, OR use it as the tube top (boob/bra strap coverer) underneath your top.  This is what I did.  It makes for a full-coverage back, with a more conservative look.  Simply wrap it around your chest, tuck it into your bra, and voila!
---b is one sleeve, c is another sleeve.  I cut each sleeve piece into 2 pieces, and attached them together, to make a longer tapered wrap.
---d is the bottom of your shirt.  If you have LONG fabric, it can be a skirt... or just the bottom section of your shirt/tunic.  For this tute, I will refer to it as the 'skirt'.

OKAY, got it all cut out?
--STEP ONE: fit your skirt to your body.  Wrap it around and decide where you want the 'seams' and the fabric to fall.  It can sit under your bustline, at your natural waist, or wherever you want.  For mine (size 40" or so hips) I used it as is...I started with one end of the fabric (at my natural waist..just above belly button)  at my left hip bone, crossed it across my front and around my back.  I wrapped it across the front (again), and let the long end hang down (for an assymetrical look).  Wherever your piece overlaps in the front, put your tape in between the 2 layers, and iron it together. (see #1 in the photo, where the red is) Fit it on your waist or hips again to check for proper fit.
---STEP TWO:  Take both your strap pieces, and lay them on top of each other, crossing each other about 4 inches. (more for a more conservative look or if you have big chi-chi's Smiley, less if you are petitely busted or want to show off your ta-tas.  Smiley  )  Fuse the two straps together, with one 'seam' at the bottom (see #2 in the photo, where the red is)
---STEP THREE:  Attach your straps to your 'skirt'.  Just line up where you want the center to go, flip them wrongside out, and iron fuse them together, with the wrong ends facing inward towards your belly.
---STEP FOUR: If you don't like the way the scarf part would simply wrap around you, wrap it tightly around you, cut it to fit, and fuse it together to make a tube top.  This is OPTIONAL!  In fact, this entire piece is optional!  If you don't mind going braless and showing your back, you don't need it!
---STEP FIVE: Make your 'straps'/wraps longer.  This is hard to describe, but you want to cut the ends of the straps into a tapered end, then take the two pieces and hook them together to make a longer strap.  I did mine just over 16" inches in.  The best way to describe it, is take your rectangular pieces and turn them into triangles... Look closely at the photo on the 'fabric' rectangle where I drew this line on the strap part...I sure hope this makes sense! 
---STEP SIX!  You are done!  Just tie it all on and you are good to go!

Note: I would handwash this, or at least use a garment bag.  If you want to sew over the seams later, go for it!

Ask any questions you have, I will try to answer them !

For the love of the scissors and iron,
Sarah!

If you want some more ideas of how it ties, go to the infinity dress link! Thanks!

« Last Edit: August 07, 2006 12:34:11 PM by OriginalYouth » THIS ROCKS   Logged

athenaknits?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006 08:05:55 AM »

I love it!  I've been reading the thread about the infinity dress but kept thinking that I'd get a lot more use of it as a top.  I'd love a tute, which from the sound of it, you will be posting anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wonderbean
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006 08:22:51 AM »

veeeery sexi
*cat calls*
well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The art of being happy lies in the power of extracting happiness from common things
-henry ward beecher
tasha_tuk
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006 09:21:00 AM »

That looks great!
I would love a tut, and maybe some pics of other ways to wear it??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tasha_Tuk
http://natashasnews.vox.com for my everyday stuff
http://natashasneedles.blogspot.com for my sewing and knitting
Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006 10:06:57 AM »

Wonderful! I'd love more pix Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
missbentley
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006 10:18:17 AM »

that is wicked!! I am totally interested in seeing more! could you by any chance post a tutorial?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Imagination is more important than knowledge
OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006 02:20:09 PM »

Yeah, I will post more pics, everyone at church was freaking out...they couldn't believe I did it all myself!  I couldn't help but brag that I made it myself, for $2. in clearanced Wal-Mart fabric!

I tried to take pics when I got home, but my camera died...not even new batteries would awaken it.
Maybe I will drive across town to my moms to take pics, just for y'all!

Later tonight I will do it.  For now, I am going to add the links at the top...you guys can probably figure out how I did it from that.  I SO wanted to take pics as I made it, 'cause I had a feeling it would be rockin' awesome and I would want to show you ladies how to do it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

athenaknits?
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006 04:24:35 PM »

Yay! I can't wait
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Faerietail
Wing-Maker Extraordinaire

When force is gone, there's always Mom. Hi Mom!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006 06:02:54 PM »

This is great! I've made an infinity dress, but I reckon I'm going to make a shirt now too. Awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Buy some fairy wings! - www.faerietail.com
Buy hand spun yarn - fey.etsy.com
lil_ballet_girl

I want to be with you

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006 06:12:47 PM »

Wow, so pretty that top ... It looks really complicated to make I'd really like one  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Took for granted all the little things.
But now it's over,
All I can say is goodbye.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Portrait Retouching in Photoshop Camera Raw
How to Draw Bloo
Pushing the Limits of Wallpaper Art
How to Draw a Barbie Doll
The Benefits of Using DNG in Lightroom
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...