A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,714
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: multi directional diagonal scarf  (Read 8753 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flossie
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2004 08:29:39 PM »

How many skeins did it take you to make this scarf? (it is really expensive!)  and what size needle did you end up using?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004 04:33:30 AM by flossie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitoramamomma

knitorama llama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2004 08:55:27 AM »

Ok, its quite expensive to me...it was Blue Heron Yarns bulky chenille and it was $32.00 for the hank.  Thats all it took to make the scarf.  Thank goodness  Smiley.  Its really the most expensive yarn I have ever worked with.  I make up for the cost of this by making some things inexpensively like this poncho that only took $6.00! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=9935.0 Anyway...it is such a silky beautiful yarn but it is quite delicate and I'm sure there are many great substitutions out there for the pattern.  I do think the pattern would lose some of its appeal if its done in a solid color though. Oh and I used size 9 needles...the next one I make I will use size 8 because I prefer a tighter knit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glccafar
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2004 04:37:41 PM »

Ohh... Blue Heron!  I have a skein of cotton from them that I just stare at joyfully...  I've thought of making a feather and fan scarf out of it, but it's so pretty, I'm happy just to stare at it for now.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flossie
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2004 05:28:23 PM »

For anyone wanting to try this, I looked for the Blue Heron yarn adn they have the color and type at www.handworksgallery.com for $29.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edamame
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2004 09:37:36 PM »

I've been tempted by this pattern for awhile! i love the yarn you chose, it looks really even. Did you block it? I just knit up a little swatch to see how the pattern works- here's what I came up with: (used Noro Kureyon, limited leftovers  Undecided) I think it looks better a little wider...

« Last Edit: August 17, 2004 09:42:16 PM by edamame » THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitoramamomma

knitorama llama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2004 08:05:28 AM »

I like it a bit wider too and I did need to block it because of the yarn.  I tend to have very even stitches but this yarn wormed a bit.  I have seen this knit in Kureyon and it is perfect for this pattern.  It REALLY shows off the diagonals...I just wanted a softer yarn.  Yours looks fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edamame
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2004 10:00:13 AM »

Can you tell me how you blocked it? I am sooo bad at finishing my knit projects, which is why I tend to stick to the smaller stuff. I am planning on getting some Noro Silk Garden to do this pattern- hopefully today! I haven't knit that kind of yarn before, but I'm hoping its a little more even than the Kureyon (lots of thick/thin variations).  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitoramamomma

knitorama llama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2004 11:56:50 AM »

For the yarn that I used...I just wet it (kind of heavily) with a spray bottle and laid it out on a long towel in the shape that I wanted it to be...you know with the edges and ends all straight.  I put it on my bed with a ceiling fan on and it dried during the day.  For this it worked great.  If I am doing something that needs more shaping...I use a towel again and pin it in place with large straight pins.  If you are needing more information than that, I am sure there must be a post on blocking on this site somewhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

martinicat
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2004 12:54:12 PM »

knitoramamomma, your FOs are always so great!  I saw this scarf at my LYS and it looked so complicated, but now I might have to try one. (I *heart* scarves!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LampLitHavens

chiyo-chan's a penguin!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2004 03:59:29 PM »

i want to try this pattern, that scarf looks very cool, but the part of the directions i don't understand is "Inc-knit into front AND back of stitch". Now I can knit into the front of a stitch, and I can knit into the back of a stitch, but I don't know what it means to do both on one stitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sushi: How to Make Pickled Ginger
How to Cut Fish for Sashimi
How to Prepare a Sushi Plate
Making Tuna Maki
Making Wasabi
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...