A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 300,910
Currently Running With Scissors:
370 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: multi directional diagonal scarf  (Read 9165 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flossie
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2004 08:29:39 PM »

How many skeins did it take you to make this scarf? (it is really expensive!)  and what size needle did you end up using?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004 04:33:30 AM by flossie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitoramamomma

knitorama llama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2004 08:55:27 AM »

Ok, its quite expensive to me...it was Blue Heron Yarns bulky chenille and it was $32.00 for the hank.  Thats all it took to make the scarf.  Thank goodness  Smiley.  Its really the most expensive yarn I have ever worked with.  I make up for the cost of this by making some things inexpensively like this poncho that only took $6.00! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=9935.0 Anyway...it is such a silky beautiful yarn but it is quite delicate and I'm sure there are many great substitutions out there for the pattern.  I do think the pattern would lose some of its appeal if its done in a solid color though. Oh and I used size 9 needles...the next one I make I will use size 8 because I prefer a tighter knit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glccafar
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2004 04:37:41 PM »

Ohh... Blue Heron!  I have a skein of cotton from them that I just stare at joyfully...  I've thought of making a feather and fan scarf out of it, but it's so pretty, I'm happy just to stare at it for now.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flossie
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2004 05:28:23 PM »

For anyone wanting to try this, I looked for the Blue Heron yarn adn they have the color and type at www.handworksgallery.com for $29.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edamame
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2004 09:37:36 PM »

I've been tempted by this pattern for awhile! i love the yarn you chose, it looks really even. Did you block it? I just knit up a little swatch to see how the pattern works- here's what I came up with: (used Noro Kureyon, limited leftovers  Undecided) I think it looks better a little wider...

« Last Edit: August 17, 2004 09:42:16 PM by edamame » THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitoramamomma

knitorama llama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2004 08:05:28 AM »

I like it a bit wider too and I did need to block it because of the yarn.  I tend to have very even stitches but this yarn wormed a bit.  I have seen this knit in Kureyon and it is perfect for this pattern.  It REALLY shows off the diagonals...I just wanted a softer yarn.  Yours looks fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edamame
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2004 10:00:13 AM »

Can you tell me how you blocked it? I am sooo bad at finishing my knit projects, which is why I tend to stick to the smaller stuff. I am planning on getting some Noro Silk Garden to do this pattern- hopefully today! I haven't knit that kind of yarn before, but I'm hoping its a little more even than the Kureyon (lots of thick/thin variations).  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitoramamomma

knitorama llama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2004 11:56:50 AM »

For the yarn that I used...I just wet it (kind of heavily) with a spray bottle and laid it out on a long towel in the shape that I wanted it to be...you know with the edges and ends all straight.  I put it on my bed with a ceiling fan on and it dried during the day.  For this it worked great.  If I am doing something that needs more shaping...I use a towel again and pin it in place with large straight pins.  If you are needing more information than that, I am sure there must be a post on blocking on this site somewhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

martinicat
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2004 12:54:12 PM »

knitoramamomma, your FOs are always so great!  I saw this scarf at my LYS and it looked so complicated, but now I might have to try one. (I *heart* scarves!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LampLitHavens

chiyo-chan's a penguin!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2004 03:59:29 PM »

i want to try this pattern, that scarf looks very cool, but the part of the directions i don't understand is "Inc-knit into front AND back of stitch". Now I can knit into the front of a stitch, and I can knit into the back of a stitch, but I don't know what it means to do both on one stitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Carry On, Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton
Heather McDonald’s My Inappropriate Life
Should Heather McDonald Be the Next Real Housewife?
Interview With Author Christina Shelton
Targets of Revenge by Jeffrey Stephens
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...