A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  Please take a moment to congratulate and thank our newest Craftster Moderators, lindyv321, pottermouth, PerfectlyBohemian, Mistress Jennie and LovelyMiss!
Total Members: 305,663
Currently Running With Scissors:
412 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to do with very tiny yarn in very tiny skeins?  (Read 1257 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fozziebear54
« on: August 05, 2006 08:36:24 PM »

My family recently cleaned out our closets and forgotten storage boxes for a yardsale, and my mom handed me a bag full of thin yarn in pretty colors. The catch? When I say thin, I mean really thin. I just compared it to some leftover laceweight I have, and the laceweight was thicker. The other catch? It's in 20 yard mini-skeins.

Originally when I saw it, I didn't know the yarn was so thin. I was planning various fair isle schemes, or possibly some massively striped socks. But doing it in thinner-than-laceweight yarn? I think not. All of the mini-skeins still have their label, so I searched for the company. Apparently I have embroidery yarn from around 30 years ago.

I don't cross stitch or anything of the kind, so if I want to use this, knitting is really my only option. Do I make lots of knitted toys and give them outlandishly colored embellishments? Do I take a bunch of these mini-skeins and make lots of small things by holding several strands together? Or do I lose my mind completely, order US 00 needles, and make something with an insanely small gauge?

(I have no pictures right now, but I can take one if it would help.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jane2
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006 09:10:12 PM »

Why not double the yarn (or triple it even) and make flowers? They could become pins (by attaching a clip or a safety pin on the back) or with the flowers just sewn on to a knitted cap, sweater, etc.

Or you could save it and use the yarn for duplicate stitch, to embellish your clothes/accessories.

A note about doubling the yarn: it does not increase the gauge by two. It only increases by 1.7. (I was fascinated when I found that out - not sure why.)

You didn't say whether the yarn was acrylic or wool.
If it is wool you could felt it. And make it even smaller!

Sorry, I can't think of anything more. I am getting the giggles at the thought of you peering closely at a pattern being knit on US 00 needles - in a padded room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thebagfairy
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006 10:16:34 PM »

You could use it for embroidery thread Huh
Sorry, I can't think of anything more. I am getting the giggles at the thought of you peering closely at a pattern being knit on US 00 needles - in a padded room.
Omigosh, that reminds me of a pattern I saw online for a knit, beaded purse using 0000US needles(wouldn't that cut your hands?!)and instructions for above 1000 rows, literally. Mental...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fozziebear54
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006 10:38:31 PM »

Bagfairy: I wish I knew how to use it as embroidery thread. I'm willing to bet that it was originally my grandmother's yarn, and she used to do all sorts of crafterly things with yarn - embroidery, cross stitch included. Sadly, my skill with that ends with those cross stitching kits that are designed for eight-year-olds.

Jane: I didn't know that about doubling yarn not exactly doubling the gauge. I'm trying to think of an explanation that makes sense. It's probably something simple, like the yarns smoosh together slightly instead of remaining completely distinct entities. Neat fact. Oh, and it's 100% wool yarn.

Layering the yarn and making small things like flowers is probably the way I'll have to go. That, and using it to stitch in accents. I was half-hoping someone would try to convince me to go the way of the small needles (the colors are oh-so-pretty and deserving of proper treatment), but you're right, it'd be a quick road to insanity. Tongue

Along those lines... Have either of you seen that website for hand-knit Barbie clothes made on anything ranging from US 0000 to US 00? There was even a pattern for a Fair Isle sweater. I can't imagine anyone knitting that without the padded room. o_0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thebagfairy
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006 12:45:22 AM »

Barbie fair-isle on 0000 needles...sounds like knitter's hell to me! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitty824
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006 01:42:04 PM »

the perdita cuffs in the summer knitty use embroidery thread... I made a couple and it is really tiny knitting, but they aren't huge, so it's not as bad as you'd imagine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fozziebear54
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006 03:34:56 PM »

Ooh, that's a good one. I think some of my friends would like a wrist thingy like that. Thanks for the suggestion!

Is there some sort of way other than swatching like mad that I can figure out what size of that cotton thread my wool is equivalent to?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006 06:03:33 PM »

Mini knitting is actually really fun!  I picked up a bundle (and I mean that literally, there were about a dozen dpns stuffed into a carved wooden... needle container...) of antique tiny dpns at a garage sale last summer.  There are 00, 000 and 0000 needles.  With some homespun wool thread from the Amana colonies, I get about 13 stitches to an inch.  Really fun, and not as bad as you'd think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006 09:06:57 PM »

there's the perdita cuffs, and IW Knits has a free pattern on their site for divine beaded purses that i think uses a very fine yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knightswhosayknit
Veni, Vidi, Texui

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006 09:52:36 AM »

And since you were considering something fair isle-y, you could modify perdita to have more colorwork rather than (I think?) lace.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone on Ravelry? My username is Caitlism, friend me!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How Mega Pixels Affect Print Size
Review of the Nikon D80, D40, D40X and D60
Review of the Nikon D300 - Part 2
Review of the Nikon D300 - Part 1
How to Know whether the Nikon D90 and D300 is Right for You
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Reusable Dryer Sheets
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...