A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 305,036
Currently Running With Scissors:
353 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 68
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Share your Mess...Then let's clean it up!  (Read 92760 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cinderly
Crazy Cat Lady (in training)

Morkmer loves his eggy!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2006 08:10:41 PM »

Great solution, given the wall-hanging limitations.

You could even get a length of closet rod and hang *that* from the ceiling, then hang your shelves, shoe-bag/pockets, and whatever else from the closet rod.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stuff I've made  --  Swap Info  --  Wist  -- got a secret?

Got 4.5" cotton squares?  I <3 personal swaps!
xsattentionspan
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2006 10:12:08 PM »

So here's my dilemma. I need more storage without saraficing floor space & without putting a million holes in the walls. So, ya know those things that hang in your closet that kind of have shelves? (If you're totally confused, click here>> http://www.lillianvernon.com/catalog/product_display.jsp?pdId=8312 for an example.) I plan to hang one of those from the ceiling. And I'll probably get something with pocket things to hang on against the wall but again, from the ceiling to avoid holes in the wall. I need to pick up some stronger hooks first, though. We'll see how that works out.

I can't find the episode but I saw a cool demo on "The Christpher Lowell Show"  He took for of those and attached them at the top to a circular piece of wood.  Then he put a lazy susan turning thing on that piece of wood and put another one on top so that they turn like a .. well like a lazy susan.  Then he attached it to the ceiling.  I don't think it quite reached the floor. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarafina65

automatic supersonic hypnotic funky-fresh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2006 12:06:05 AM »

See, I don't have a room, or even a closet, I just have a desk. And I have made it so that I can't even sit at it, I have to take all my stuff and sit on my bed to do things! This is inspiring, and I will definitely post some more pictures once I get it out of its current (gross) state.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

aliastriona_angerboda
Pirate Queen, Insane Woman, Complete Nerd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2006 12:40:53 AM »

I'm not the only one!

Lacking any separate place for my crafting stuff, it all gets mixed in with everything else I own...which is all supposed to fit in an 11x11 foot room.  That doesn't work very well.

I do most of my crafting (the smaller stuff at least) sitting here at the computer, and it shows:

That little bitty space in front of the monitor is the sum total of my workspace.

The craftyness is growing though, and has also become a cardboard box of yarn topped with a basket of paint topped with eight million other things, including a cereal box waiting to be made into...something.

A lot of my mess is in my room, but there's a lot of non-craft-related junk involved, so I won't post it on here...
It's on my blog though, if you wanna go and ogle my slobbishness: http://tsiomeconsequences.blogspot.com/2006/08/share-shame.html

What I really need to organize myself is more space, but building an extension is pretty much impossible.  I'm also too attached to my stuff to live a minimalist lifestyle, so I'm gonna get to work on making the most of the space I have available and then saving up for more storage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2006 12:54:36 AM »

Oh my goodness, you ladies totally crack me up!
I wish I would've shown all these pics to my hubby when he was complaining about my messes...see?  I don't have NEAR as much stuff as my craftster girlfriends!!!!

All that being said, I had this great little room last fall for my crafting.  I organized the closet with all of my collage, scrapbooking, beading, calligraphy, paint and paintings, etc, etc. stuff.  I had 2 nice big shelves, with black baskets with all my art supplies............THEN, in December, I got this:

(His name is Diego, btw, clutching the taggie blankie I made him!)

SO, my craft room /office became a nursury!

Now my laptop sits on the kitchen table (the only real table in the house!) and this is where I do all my crafting/emailing/letters/bills/painting...oh, and eating too, as does the rest of my family of 4! Needless to say, I wanted to have my supplies handy and yet not taking over the kitchen (which is ALSO open to the living room!!!).  I have a split personality; I am very creative and crafty (about 98%) and ALSO, very administrative and organized (about 85%).  These 2 have been at war lately!  I have been working on a LOT of projects in a LOT of different mediums (last 2 weeks: 1 dress, 1 shirt, 1 journal, magnets, shrinky dinks, a swap package, clay beads, glass beaded jewelry, the MONA LISA painting, a ton of melted bead projects....GEE WHIZ!  I have crafter's ADHD!).  I have had alll sorts of projects spread out all over the place!  (Which reminds me, don't let your 8 month old eat beads Tongue )  Most of my things are in the garage now.

I have been working at getting it all organized, so I don't have pics from the beginning, but I will show a few befores and afters for you:

3 things y'all haven't mentioned much that work for me and I wanted to re-iterate:

---PURGE! Get rid of stuff you dont need...trade, stashbust, or put it in a MUST-USE pile to give yourself one more chance!  Here are a few good questions for this:
-Have you used it in more than a year or two?
-When was the last time you ACTUALLY thought about using it?  Did you forget you even owned it?
-Do you have sentimental attachment to it?

---ORGANIZE!!! NO matter how small your space, you can make it work with the right organization!  IKEA is total proof of this!  It takes a lot more space (and energy) to pile stuff up than it does to sort it into boxes.  This doesn't have to be expensive, either!  
-Hit the $ store for shoebox sized bins for thread, clay, beads, etc.  You can also get plastic laundry baskets at my dollar store, good for rolling your fabrics into so you can see them all at the top of the basket and through the sides, and easy to carry! Buy a few of the big tubs at your local Home Depot store for any big projects... Just get stuff that is stackable.  My mom built shelves from Cinderblocks and 2x4"s, very cheap and sturdy; she just covered the blocks with fabric.
-Also, if you aren't going to use it often, move it out of the way!  For me, my candle-making supplies, tools, decorating/faux finishing stuff have always been stored in the garage, cause they won't be damaged by the heat and I don't use them as often.

---LIST!  This is the administrative side of me:
-I use 1" notebooks for all of my crafts...I have them for parties, calligraphy, jewelry, clay, cake decorating, home improvement project, plus 3 for painting!  Whenever I see something in a magazine I want to attempt, I rip it out and put it into a sleeve in the right book!
-I make myself have some discipline with my time, otherwise I would craft all day!  Balance your time; do something you NEED to do (a cleaning chore), then give yourself permission to make something as your reward!  Balance the play with some work.
-Write down all the projects you want to do.  I use a sheet with 3 columns, one for tasks/chores/cleaning that needs to be done, one for big projects, one column for little ones.  Then you have the choice each day how to spend your time!  It also is rewarding to cross them off your list each day!  You can add the date to document your creative path!

Okay, I can breathe now.  I feel like I need to come over and help someone clean up their space now!!!!  It is a lot like 'Monica' on Friends; the irresistible compulsion to organize!  My former employers loved it.  Anyone in Fort Worth Texas need a manic organizer?  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

emt95348
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2006 01:08:59 AM »

well he sure is a cutie and i am sure that he is worth giving up your crafting space as hard as it was Smiley i am loving those eyes of his...congrats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A husband is someone who, after taking the trash out, gives the impression that he just cleaned the whole house.
tinybits
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafty Monster Strikes Back

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2006 01:11:25 AM »

thanks god that i am not the only one  Roll Eyes i have a small room with storage problem which i have to share with my crafts. so there are crafty things everywhere. some cloths to be recycled in the sewing projects sits in the corner while cardboards and such hiding behind the couch. the yarn stash took over the bedside with all those cute fabrics and the needles poking while i am trying to change my cloths. inside the closet i have notions, itty bittys to recycle, beads and such in small boxes.. my sewing threads, needles and other supplies immigrated on top of the textbooks. i have serious storage problem.. i am thinking to have this door over see through shoe storages for the little things. and i definetely have to buy some shelves to put inside the huge but useless closet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xamonster

"Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2006 06:38:38 AM »

I can't find the episode but I saw a cool demo on "The Christpher Lowell Show"  He took for of those and attached them at the top to a circular piece of wood.  Then he put a lazy susan turning thing on that piece of wood and put another one on top so that they turn like a .. well like a lazy susan.  Then he attached it to the ceiling.  I don't think it quite reached the floor. 

Ha ha I used to watch Christopher Lowell on the Discovery Channel religiously, until he was moved to a different station. I loved his projects.

I've been watching this thread I love the idea. Since my crafting area is really just my closet (storage, among my clothes) and my bed (workspace), I probably won't post photos. I did just re-organize some of my boxes, though. (I use the Sterlite Show-Offs. They're great you can even put hanging folders in them.)

Of course, I've got a dresser drawer, plus a Sterlite box, plus some random plastic bags, plus a shelf or so full of yarn. I have some of my WIPs in one basket, but I'm afraid to overflow as we have three cats and a large dog.

(I'll have to come back later work beckons.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I brought you flours."

Check out my blog and my wist!
elfin enigma
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2006 06:48:38 AM »

ahhh!  i've found my home!  [this thread, haha.]  i have a disaster.  i've taken over a room, but it's not a craft room...and i should be thankful to have this space because i won't have a designated crafting area at all soon aside from a corner of another room...i don't have a table, everything is on the floor.  sewing maching, ironing board, the measury-cutty-"superboard"...everything.  [my back is not pleased.]  fabric is haphazardly stuffed into a few boxes, i have a teeny bit of organization in the form of an old caboodles box with most of the supplies...the ones i rarely use anyway, the others are out all over the place [scissors, seam ripper, etc.]  a few weeks ago i was thinking about this and brought out a 3 drawer rolly-cart and a few plastic boxes but haven't touched anything yet.  so today's the day, ladies.  day off, inspiring thread...i'm hoping i'll actually get somewhere, because quite honestly i dread even the thought!  so tedious!  and like someone somewhere said [maybe in one of those linked articles?], it's hard to be inspired by neat little orderly piles of things.  okay, but now i'm just making excuses   Undecided 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bubba*tink

there's nuffin loik a warm cable-knit necklace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2006 07:44:56 AM »

HURRAH for craft rooms!!!!  And I'm glad that my room inspired you to clean it up, bambikhan!  You have no clue...I've been messy all my life, which is a mystery to my parents and brothers since they're all so tidy.  I've been doing really well, my room needs a tiny bit o pickup, but it in no way interrupts the crafting process! Wink

I'll just put the link to my sewing room revamp rather than post the pics again: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=94382.0

Even though messes are cute and a great conversation topic, it's just so much easier and such a relief to have it clean and tidy, it's reduced a lot of stress in my sewing life! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can tell you, Fall is composed of

1 part dead fish smell
1 part wet leaves
1 part arctic chilled air (not winter chilled variety)
2 parts crunchy walking
a pinch very cold rain
some apples you picked yourself
a few very still moments
a good deal of inner reflection
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 68 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...