A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 307,988
Currently Running With Scissors:
439 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 68
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Share your Mess...Then let's clean it up!  (Read 121100 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ezri_B
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2006 01:08:58 PM »

Ok, I'm completely embarrased that I am posting this. Since mine is by far the messiest. My main excuse for my mess is, that we have no storage in my house, so my "craft room" has really become my storage room, but there isn't enough room in it to get to my craft stuff, so I work on my crafts in my living room, and then when someone stops by, it gets tossed (sometimes literally) into the craft room. Not always to be picked up well afterwards. Plus my hubby and kids keep things in there, so the kids just toss stuff until they find the box they want.

My challenge is to clean and organize this room, however, in the next year we will be knocking down walls, so I really won't be able to keep much of this room as a craft room, and I will have to scale down even more. So I really need to get organized!

Anyway here's my pictures.

This is a pic of my craft room from outside the door. There is a lot of  Halloween and Christmas (mainly Halloween) storage in here, lots of boxes of costumes. One of those pop up laundry sorters for my yarn organization attempt. Bins and boxes of fabric. Fur to fleece, to cotton, to whatever.

This is the little craft closet behind the entrance door of my craft room

School supplies, teacher/grandparent thank you type gifts, our alginate, and plasters for mask making (you can see the top of my hubby's head in plaster in there.)

That's not even showing where I craft, which is in my living room. I have a few more pics on my blog. As you can see, it is a HUGE mess! I need organization, but I can't afford tons of organizers. Any suggestions are welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BambiKhantastic
Craftster's Resident Tattoo Artist

Taloola Rocks my World!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2006 04:18:09 PM »

I am SO glad I'm not alone!! It's so easy to just drop stuff where it is, and let it Lay...that's my problem...I'm a dropper. I have the added problem that Mr.Khantastic won't allow my books in more rooms of the house than they already occupy.

I found this article:
http://www.getcreativeshow.com/Craft_Sew_Business/Business_Seminars/craftroom.htm

and I'm going to use it as a guideline:

1. Separate your work area
(look I already have One thing done!)
2. Think about storage
3. Easy Access to Tools
4. Lighting
5. Worktable
6. Music
7. Use your walls for storage
8. Be realistic
9. Put it back!
10. Tidy up 

Now you have some tips, here's the bad news. It is impossible to simply rearrange one area of your sewing room. You must organize everything. Just as you go about clearing one area you will need to have a place to put things. Before you clean one mess it will take making a bigger mess. But it will be worth it. Remember to break down the job into smaller parts. "The best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time." Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

emt95348
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2006 04:59:13 PM »

thanks for the compliments on my room...believe me it took alot to get there. the storage cabinets were bought at wal-mart, the spool holders at jo-ann's (you can get them at wally mart or michael's too), the sewing table i got at big lots, rolling tupperware dressers i got at wal-mart and the caddy with the compartments hanging above the sewing machine was purchased at michael's. it isn't too terribly expensive if you use your 40% on everything you buy at michael's and jo-ann's!! Smiley

good luck and post some pics of your awesome rooms when you are done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A husband is someone who, after taking the trash out, gives the impression that he just cleaned the whole house.
jnaos

"Creative clutter is better than idle neatness."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2006 05:27:21 PM »

I recently cleaned up my space so I have no pictures.. but.. I went and bought one of those sauderwood pantries ($79-99)  Yarn on one shelve, fabric on another.  I used a large flower vase for the knitting needles and a flower put with cups on the inside for scissors etc.. my sewing machines fit on the bottom shelve and there's even a shelve for the crafty extras (felt etc).. for the small notions I used tackle boxes (the clear plastic cheap ones) for beads etc.. the nice thing about these is that if you look in your fishing aisle they are cheaper then the cases in your craft aisle AND you can buy a fishing bag to carry your boxes around in.

I recently sent my extras to a fellow craftster because I noticed she is a yarn diva.  I have decided that since reorganizing that if it doesn't fit on the shelve it needs to find a new home.  I have been craft-clutter free for 4 months now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2006 09:06:20 PM »

You guys make me feel so much better about my mess! BOOKCASES!! there a really cheap storage solution
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006 09:08:57 PM by flying_babyb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
spaz2phreek
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2006 06:56:27 AM »

spaz2phreek - we have the same sewing machine it looks like, 9910? something around there, isn't it great!

Grin Yup, that's it all right.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2006 01:44:15 PM »

Can I also suggest a really really old book? I stoped at my libary for a quick learning lesson for the good ole random swap, and decided to pause a minute and check out design books. Well, here we go, theres a huge section for designing for loft and aparment living (wich has great storage tips). I digress:
double duty decorating by virginia carry ISBN (makes it eaiser to find)0684 179490
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
BambiKhantastic
Craftster's Resident Tattoo Artist

Taloola Rocks my World!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2006 02:24:57 PM »

I love knowing Librarians...

Step one is done! I got the kennel out of the room, and Mr.Khantastic, in an act of faith, bought me a plastic thing full of little drawers.

I've also decided two things:
1. when I'm done, I get a little shopping spree as a treat.
2. All my excess craft crap is getting given away to in-town crafters, or It's going to the unconditional swap.

It's time for some tough love!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2006 07:38:10 PM »

Do you REALLY need 6 black markers? purging is so hard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
spaz2phreek
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2006 07:57:44 PM »

So here's my dilemma. I need more storage without saraficing floor space & without putting a million holes in the walls. So, ya know those things that hang in your closet that kind of have shelves? (If you're totally confused, click here>> http://www.lillianvernon.com/catalog/product_display.jsp?pdId=8312 for an example.) I plan to hang one of those from the ceiling. And I'll probably get something with pocket things to hang on against the wall but again, from the ceiling to avoid holes in the wall. I need to pick up some stronger hooks first, though. We'll see how that works out.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 68 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Placemat Shoulder Purse
We Can Do It!
Meatless Monday: Squash and Onion Galette

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...