A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,788
Currently Running With Scissors:
552 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Double ended needle question.  (Read 743 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: August 05, 2006 06:43:08 PM »

OK so I'm new to knitting and after knitting one successful scarf I figured I would try my luck on a hat. However I started on a circular and love it but now as I am reducing I need to move to double ended needles but I cant find size 11 at any local stores...10.5 but no 11. Do they even make them this big?
Also I have checked out several books from the library and they show how to set it up for DE needles but they don't really know "how" It seems that you would have 3 separate sections...am I lame and is there a way that they connect?
Any help is appreciated as I am at a stand still now Sad

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006 06:47:21 PM »

i dont know where you would find sz11 dpns, except maybe a yarn shop or online. As far as knitting with them, i've only knitted socks with dpns, but i will still try to offer some help. Say you have 30 stitches on your circulars, pick up ten stitches with each dpn so you have three needles holding 30 stitches. Using a fourth stitch start knitting (or whatever your pattern calls for) across the first needle, once you empty that needle use it to start knitting across the second, and just keep going around in a circle following your pattern.

Mustaches are sooo 2 years ago

my blog

I love Personal Swaps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006 07:25:47 PM »

A video of how to use DPNS.... it's towards the top so it shouldn't be too horribly hard to find.

They're not hard at all to use, they just take some getting used too.  About the size 11s... I'm pretty sure I've seen them somewhere, but I've never used any that big.  Have you tried the magic loop method or anything like that?  If you have to you could always buy another size 11 circular and do the two circular needles thing.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006 10:30:32 PM »

Thanks a bunch for the info.....I looked on-line for the brand of needles I like and they don't go to 11 Sad but some others did so I just have to wait till Tuesday when the little yarn shops open up again Smiley
Thanks again!

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006 10:41:38 PM »

if you know their diameter (size 11 is 8mm which is also about 5/16th of an inch) you might be able to find wooden dowels at a hardware or craft store to make your own - stick the ends in a pencil sharpener (or whittle them down) and sand them well.   Then you don't have to wait and hope a yarn store has what you need Cheesy

I love Personal Swaps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006 06:52:01 AM »

The dowel rod idea is a good one too.  If you have a big enough pencil sharpener that works for the tips too.  It would be a lot cheaper than any yarn shop.
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006 09:29:05 AM »

Thanks so much for all the help....I think I will be doing the dowl idea.
Thanks again!

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006 09:40:11 AM »

I did a quick search because I knew they had to go up to size 11 cause I have some 13's.  I would say though if you want to go ahead and finish your hat it probably wouldn't hurt anything to use the 10.5, just be sure not to knit tight.  I've had to comprimise like this a few times and unless you examined the thing, you really couldn't tell any difference.
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006 09:43:29 AM »

Oh you know I was going to ask what the difference was.....I was looking at them and they seems a bit bigger but if it wont really make a difference then. I might go for it (besides a have a 1/2 off coupon for Joann's anyhow )
Thanks for the link though...defiantly bookmarking that.

Lily is my best friend

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006 03:44:41 PM »

I second that it doesn't matter too much. When I do my quick size 15 hats, I usually use size 11 dpns and I have no ill effects.  And it's easier to control than size 15 dpns. 

Holy flipping cow. I changed my profile picture after 4 years on here.

Love Alpacas?  Go visit: Alpaca Love Club
Come visit my website!  www.madebytess.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Film a Teaser Film
Production Begins (PART 1)
Production: How to Make some Zombie Action
Production: How to Shoot Indoor Scenes
Writing the Script
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...