A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,751
Currently Running With Scissors:
553 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My First Two Felted Bags  (Read 2577 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SlickMariaVic
« on: August 05, 2006 11:34:47 AM »

After an initial mishap purchasing the wrong yarn at Micheals the discussion board helped me pick the correct yarn for www.helloyarn.com's fulled lopi tote. The only 100% wool yarn I could find there was Paton's Classic which definately did the trick, but left alot to be desired in the way of variety.

I was so happy with the finished product I visited my local yarn store to see what other wool yarns they had availabe for another felted bag.  There I found an awesome Lopi yarn that was grey with random flecks of color.  I also purchased the pattern for this other bag.  I think its called Flowers on the Go.  After felting it the bag became so fuzzy I had to give it a haircut to see the bits of color.  I don't know how well the pictures show them but their there! Oh and I also used a magnetic snap for closure.

The one problem that I had with this bag is with the blocking.  In the second picture you can see how the bottom isnt totally flat.  Does anybody have any tips on how to fix this? Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010 10:03:05 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That which is creative must create itself -" Keats

Pinterest
http://pinterest.com/slickmariavic/
yarncookie
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006 11:37:55 AM »

I especiallly like the first one with the cool handles. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look at me, I'm on TV, it makes up for the shortcomings of being poor. Now I'm in a million pieces picked up for deliberation by the people listening at home, by the people watching on the telly...
Scrap-n-Craft

Life is a gift, don't waste it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006 11:38:15 AM »

I really admire you...you did a great job!  I love crafts, they just don't always love me!  Great job!  I wish I had advice for you, but I always have to ask my mom! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SeeMe

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006 06:26:29 PM »

For the bottom bit, you could always put a heavy something in there to make it flat. Like a full box of laundry soap, and stand it up on the bottom. Or, you can flip it upside down (with box inside of it) and place heavy books or something on the bottom, to make it flat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog Wist
Would like to swap for broken (torn) dollar bills! I have an idea and don't want to use "good" money!
"They aleady have a soda like that. It's called Soylent Cola."
"How is it?"
"Eh, varies from person to perso
SlickMariaVic
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006 08:51:54 PM »

Thats a good idea.  I did block it initially after it was felted.  I placed something inside.  I might reblock it and do what you suggested by placing something on top.  I was also thinking of maybe pinning it the ground along the bordering edge of the bottom so it stretches and flattens.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
rachillsk8
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006 06:37:36 AM »

I always line my bags (even when felted, I don't like fuzz on my car keys, lip gloss, etc).  If you line it, you can make a sturdy bottom--cut some sturdy cardboard or thin plastic to the shape of your bag, cover it in your lining fabric, and pop it in the bottom of the bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

talmina
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006 04:37:41 PM »

I always line my bags (even when felted, I don't like fuzz on my car keys, lip gloss, etc).  If you line it, you can make a sturdy bottom--cut some sturdy cardboard or thin plastic to the shape of your bag, cover it in your lining fabric, and pop it in the bottom of the bag.

Just out of curiosity, how do you sew in your lining on felted bags.  I'm about to do a heavy quilted lining in a laptop bag and any helpful hints would be appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calysa
I heart Anegada

~ will craft for peanuts ~

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006 06:12:21 AM »

Great job on your two cute bags!

To firm up the bottom of a bag, I cut a piece of plastic canvas to fit inside then cover it with fabric using Heat Bond tape to bind all the edges.  Just don't set your iron too hot - you don't want to melt the plastic canvas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
diy_girl
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006 10:16:09 AM »

Your Lopi bag looks great!  I too tried this pattern but with a different yarn than called for.  However, I made mine too long and it didn't shrink enough and it looks like a big bucket  Undecided

maybe I will try to make this one again.  How many strands did you use of Paton's wool?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SlickMariaVic
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006 12:29:40 PM »

diy_girl-I used 2 strands held together.  I only purchased two skeins as well for the bag, but had to finish it up a few inches less than recommended.

I don't know that I would line the entire bag but I do think a piece for the bottom would definately be helpful.  I'll try to reblock it and see what happens.  At the craft store where I purchased the Lopi yarn and pattern for the bag they had one that was already completed.  It didnt have any support or linning at all but still had a perfect bottom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Most Overlooked Event Detail
A Smart Trick For Serving Food Buffet Style
How To Set A Dining Room Table With Limited Space
Fun Themes For Summer Parties
VF STYLE: Iconic America - Tommy Hilfiger and George Lois
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Bird Feeder
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...