A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
466 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Freeform lace scarves  (Read 21914 times)
Tags for this thread: no_knit_scarf  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

takia
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006 11:24:19 AM »

tute tute tute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vampirategurrl08
I'm kind of a big deal.

That's how I roll!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006 11:51:00 AM »

wowzers!!! absolutely fantabulous!
I agree the look would be great for fairy wings, and other things...that's so neat! great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Torn apart at the seams and my dreams turn to tears.

http://www.wists.com/kyy08
jofre146
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2006 11:51:42 AM »

I used a freeform lace scarf kit made by Mokuba, the Japanese ribbon company. The kit is comprised of two pieces of stabilizer, one is see through (for the top) and the other is papery and sticky. Both are water soluble. Mokuba puts out two scarf kits - one with all the directions, stabilizers and yarns, etc. and one with only the stabilizers (alot cheaper). Since I had read about this technique before and I wanted to choose my own ribbons and yarns, I chose the kit sans directions.

I've seen in various stores that Sulky also makes water soluble stabilizers that can be used instead - the price of all the necessary "ingredients" is comparable if you opt for that. I think you have to buy some fabric adhesive if you use the Sulky stabilizer, since the stabilizer isn't sticky and the ribbons and bits won't stay in place if you don't. Make sure you get the water-soluble adhesive spray if you do use it. I've since ordered a bunch of pieces of water-soluble stabilizer from someone on the internet (can't remember who...) and have made two scarves for friends from that. I don't have pictures of them because my friends live in the Netherlands, and I don't!

My finished scarves are 50 inches by 8 inches. They are composed of bits and pieces of silk embroidery ribbons, eyelash yarns, regular sewing thread and other yarns and ribbons. I used up a bunch of hand dyed silk embroidery ribbons I had made long ago and had never gotten around to using.

You could get creative and use other stuff besides ribbons, like those little fabric yo-yo's or bits of plastic, or old credit cards or whatever. As long as you can "lock" the little items in place, you should be able to do it.

I consider these scarves sewn items since you must lock all the ribbons and yarns together by machine, sewing a grid pattern over everything.

What you do is lay down the big piece of water soluble interfacing, with the sticky side up. You are going to stick all the ribbons and yarns, etc. onto this sticky surface.

First lay down an outer border of ribbon - one that goes all the way around the border of the scarf. This is  important because it sets the boundaries of the scarf, and is the first surface you will actually sew. You don't have to lay out an outer border but it gives you a frame of reference.

Once that is in place, you get creative and place all your yarns and ribbons on top of that.

When you are satisfied with the freeform patterns of ribbon and yarn that will inevitably emerge, you then place the see-through sheet of soluble stabilizer on top of the ribbons - this piece of stabilizer isn't sticky, but will adhere to the sticky stabilizer underneath all the ribbons. You can go ahead and pin through all layers with quilters pins, just to make sure everything stays in place.

Here you are seeing the backside of the scarf with the papery stabilizer and a grid sewn in 1 inch blocks.

After that, you sew a 1 inch grid through all the layers, this will "lock" all the ribbons together.
Finally, you dunk the whole mess in water and rinse out the stabilizers - this takes several rinses, and hang your masterpiece out to dry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
strangerthanyou
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006 11:56:30 AM »

That is so cool! Thanks a bunch for the tute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitsue43
Conspiracy Theorist.

Gamers unite!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006 12:04:31 PM »

Color me amazed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sora: I've... I've been having these weird thoughts lately. Like...Is any of this real... Or not?
krafty_kelly
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2006 12:10:39 PM »

Wow, that is the most unique thing I've seen in a long time.  Your work is so, so pretty!  I'm in awe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2006 12:57:30 PM »

that is fantastic.  I love ribbons.  There is a Mokuba store (Mokuba Ribbons & Trim) in Toronto on Queen St West.  Are you from Toronto, or did you buy it elsewhere?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
vinotinto
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2006 02:10:24 PM »

These are exquisitely beautiful.  Fantastic job!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dirtythghts4
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2006 02:23:01 PM »

wow. that is REALLY cool! i didn't know they made that stuff. Smiley

very cool, very nice. they would make great presents.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*sigh* so is life, i've often said
timarie
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2006 02:48:25 PM »

I love this. I may have something new to try out

hitting "this rocks"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sherry Lansing: The First Wives Club
Sherry Lansing: You Married Your First Boyfriend
Callie Khouri: Oscar-Winning Writer & Creator of "Nashville"
Callie Khouri: Being a Female Director
Callie Khouri: A Director She Could Trust
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...