A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
602 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ill-Fitting PJ Bottoms: Fit to Perfection!  (Read 16908 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thixle
« on: December 21, 2003 05:43:10 PM »

I love pajama bottoms... I always end up with a new pair around Christmas that just don't fit. You know the kind I'm talking about: the big, elastic waisted, huge crotch, tight leg man-pants with a button fly. I like mine to fit well, and thought you all might like it too! So how 'bout a tutorial for reconstructed PANTS this time. Turn those ill-fitting pants into great fitting drawstring pants!

1.  Put your pj's on inside out. Pull them up to where the crotch is comfy. At this point, the waist should be somewhere near your armpits. Make sure they are high enough in the waist to take off the elastic, and leave 1.5 inches to fold over for the new waist band (think hip hugger). If they aren't tall enough, you can just put some bias tape on later.
Mark on the side seam where your hips stick out the farthest. If you've got pockets in them, this spot will probably be at the bottom of the pocket.

2.  Now, take them off and chop off the waistband. If there are pockets, grab a seam ripper and take them out. Split the side seam down to the place you marked for the hips.

3.  Grab some pins. Put the pj's back on inside out. Pin the side seams at a comfortably loose point, angling down to the wide hip point.

4.  Look at your butt in the mirror. You'll probably want to take about an inch off of the back seam at the top so your butt doesn't look flat. Pin at the top, angling down to join the origional seam near the crotch.

Now, pull them off and sew where you pinned (red lines). Put them on right side out this time and make sure they fit. The waist should just be a bit loose. Then reinforce the seams.

5. All that's left is finishing the waist band. It's really just a basic hem. Fold the top over about 1.5 inches. Press, then sew 1/4 inch from the top, all the way around. Fold uder the raw edge and press. You are going to make a channel for your drawstring to go through, so you need to leave enough room for it. Sew down about 3/4 of an inch from the top seam.

If you've got a button fly, DON'T sew it down! Leave it open like this pic:

Cut a little hole for the drawstring to go through and buttonhole (blanket stitch) around it. Thread your drawstring through (if you hook it onto a saftey pin, it threads really easy). Put them on, and prance around in your "new" pj bottoms!!!

Ooops, thought we were done-- You may be if you like those tight leg holes... I don't. If you are lucky enough to have pockets, just use the fabric from them to make bell bottoms that match (you can always use contrasting fabric, though). Cut the fabric into 2 triangles, split the seams on the cuff of the pants, and sew the trangles in. Easy-peasy. Put them back on and continue prancing!!!

Here are my "new" bottoms. It took about an hour start to finish.
Front:

Side:

Bottom:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2003 01:15:53 PM by thixle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
recyclerdudette
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2003 06:07:42 AM »

Nice work!!! Those are so cute.  I really love the fabric too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not old, I'm VINTAGE!
firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003 12:18:23 PM »

excellent.  very funny tutorial as well.  and those are hot pants!  my pyromaniac self covets a pair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thixle
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003 02:02:26 PM »

Well, I added another step- I sewed extra wide bias tape to the legs of mine yesterday to make them longer. It makes the bell-bottoms stand out more, too.

firefly-- I'll let you in on a secret: The pj's came from Wal-Mart, in the men's section, and the were only $5!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003 05:24:13 PM »

very funny-are you trying to temp me into breaking my anti-walmart vow?  Tongue  it won't work.  i'll just covet yours til i spot some at the goodwill that i like Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thewalrusisme
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2003 06:38:54 PM »

very funny-are you trying to temp me into breaking my anti-walmart vow?  Tongue  it won't work.  i'll just covet yours til i spot some at the goodwill that i like Wink

::gives firefly a high five::  Wink Down with the evil walmartian empire
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art is why I get up in the morning.  My definition ends there.  It doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define." ~ A.Difranco
thixle
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2004 03:16:36 PM »

firefly-- I just saw this FABRIC today, and it wasn't at Wal-Mart! It was at a locally owned Singer Sewing place... So, your pyromanic self could have the fabric and stay out of wal-mart! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
guitar*girl
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005 02:57:33 PM »

what's wrong with walmart? better then ABERCROMBIE!
hehe
those are some hotttt pants! hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've lost my sanity; can I borrow yours?
unlikely_redhead
don't give me anythign sharp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005 09:28:40 PM »

those are "hott"  Wink no, but that's cool tute anyhow because i have a bunch of pants like that; croth hangs down to my knees and the leg openings are about the size of my arm  Roll Eyes
what's wrong with walmart? better then ABERCROMBIE!
hehe
those are some hotttt pants! hehe

http://homesteadingtoday.com/vb/showthread.php?p=378053
http://fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html
http://www.fastcompany.com/soundoff/reader_comment.html?cid=17248
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005 09:34:21 PM by unlikely_redhead » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pessimism: because i'd rather be pleasently surprised than horribly disapointed
oohhowpretty

You gotta love Regina

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2005 04:15:32 AM »

hehe cute jimmy jams
you changed them well
am i the only one who likes jimmy jammies to be huge
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'maybe you should cut your own hair coz that would be so funny'
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chicken Quesadilla
How to Make Moist Banana Bread
How to Make Sauerkraut
How to Make a Breakfast Casserole
How to Make Seared Ahi Tuna
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...