A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,665
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: crafts for teenage boys to do  (Read 45829 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kpuppy
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006 11:47:53 AM »

Knitting, while I know is percieved as a 'girly' thing, it really isn't! There are a ton of websites out there that are dedicated to men knitting...such as...

http://www.menwhoknit.com/
http://www.menknit.net/ (I particularly like this one -- there are blogs, forums, how-to's, and it is all guy-friendly!)

The best part about knitting is that he can make himself scarves and hats that don't look homemade, so if he is embarrased by his new 'hobby', nobody has to know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strutter
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006 01:11:57 PM »

I think it's stupid how certain crafts are supposed to go to one gender. I mean, its not like it's birth control or something-speficially.

What about alterted books or alterted cds?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stolendreams

I'm thinking we'll rise again

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006 02:15:02 AM »

I think it's stupid how certain crafts are supposed to go to one gender.

I totally agree.

thanks all  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/stolendreams

Formerly known as risingphoenix
BethanyCampbell
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006 08:36:23 AM »

i agree too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beth

Check out my job at:
www.data-inputing.com - Earning Money Online From Home!!!
shellybean
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006 08:53:05 AM »

pottery! You don't have to go out and buy a wheel until you get pretty committed to it b/c there's lots of stuff you can do with just clay. There's nothing unmanly about playing with mud and fire. Smiley Also, I took a pottery class in college- the students were predominantly male and it was taught by a man.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blessed are the cracked, for they let in light.
Strutter
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2006 11:30:15 AM »

I think it's stupid how certain crafts are supposed to go to one gender.

I totally agree.

thanks all  Smiley

Gender boxes suck. I mean, it's not gender box at all if its by choice. like a woman who chooses to sew, but saying that it's a woman's craft etc... is stupid. same thing if it was for a guy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dancedupapillon
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2006 11:47:22 AM »

I find it funny that when I learned to weld, girls and guys alike thought it was pretty cool, but most guys shy away from working with yarn or fabric.  The actual type of craft has nothing to do with your sexual organs.  I agree, gender roles suck.

On the other hand, I think risingpheonix's brother meant that he wouldn't make use of some of the products.  Even the boys I know who are willing to wear pink without worrying that someone will question their sexuality probably wouldn't wear delicatly beaded jewelry or carry a purse made out of an old shoe.  Unless he has many a female friend or relative to craft for, I could see why he would call them "girly".

Kuddos to you, risingpheonix's brother.  Way to be a crafty boy.  There are far too few of you.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
stolendreams

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006 12:50:53 PM »

On the other hand, I think risingpheonix's brother meant that he wouldn't make use of some of the products.  Even the boys I know who are willing to wear pink without worrying that someone will question their sexuality probably wouldn't wear delicatly beaded jewelry or carry a purse made out of an old shoe.  Unless he has many a female friend or relative to craft for, I could see why he would call them "girly"

Yup. He's fascinated by some of the jewellery I make, but even if he did do it the only use he'd have for it is to give it away.
Also some of the problem may be that he's at a predominantly male school and admitting he knitted or something similar would probably be very embarrasing for him (this isn't my opinion, I'm all for guys crafting, knitting, sewing, whatever. I'm just trying to put it from his perspective)

Anyway, yeah, definitely didn't mean to offend anyone when I said 'girly crafts' Like I said, it's not my opinion at all. Gender should have nothing to do with crafting or any other part of your life.

He made a melted bead dish today and is going to have a go at woodwork as well.
All your suggestions are in a list for him so that we won't lose them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strutter
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2006 01:05:52 PM »

On the other hand, I think risingpheonix's brother meant that he wouldn't make use of some of the products.  Even the boys I know who are willing to wear pink without worrying that someone will question their sexuality probably wouldn't wear delicatly beaded jewelry or carry a purse made out of an old shoe.  Unless he has many a female friend or relative to craft for, I could see why he would call them "girly"

Yup. He's fascinated by some of the jewellery I make, but even if he did do it the only use he'd have for it is to give it away.
Also some of the problem may be that he's at a predominantly male school and admitting he knitted or something similar would probably be very embarrasing for him (this isn't my opinion, I'm all for guys crafting, knitting, sewing, whatever. I'm just trying to put it from his perspective)

Anyway, yeah, definitely didn't mean to offend anyone when I said 'girly crafts' Like I said, it's not my opinion at all. Gender should have nothing to do with crafting or any other part of your life.

He made a melted bead dish today and is going to have a go at woodwork as well.
All your suggestions are in a list for him so that we won't lose them.

I wasn't like when posting my comments, "How dare you write girly for boy." But just saying that its stupid when other people think that. But in the end, it's just choices. And whatever he chooses I hope he gets awesome at or make cool use of. It's awesome though when you find crafty boys since there aren't a lot (that we know of).

Hopefully I wasn't like mean when I wrote it. I don't want to push anyone down, but I wasn't directing that at you.

(But I admit, when I first saw it I was like, what? I'm not good at not being serious when it comes to joking on [a topic] or like this where you meant it for someone and not by boxing them-which I realized after reading some posts.)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006 01:14:58 PM by veganxwater » THIS ROCKS   Logged

stolendreams

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2006 01:32:34 PM »

Hopefully I wasn't like mean when I wrote it. I don't want to push anyone down, but I wasn't directing that at you.

No, you weren't. I just wanted to make sure anyone else coming along and reading understood. 'girly' probably wasn't the best word, but it was one he'd used earlier that day and I couldn't think of a better word to describe how he felt about it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kelly Osbourne Dishes On Fall Trends
How-To: Chic and Functional Ponytail for Athletes
Makeup Mistakes To Avoid
Facial Toners You Can Make At Home
Need to Know: The Return of Penny Loafers, Cheap Eats, and Closed Circuit
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...