A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,048
Currently Running With Scissors:
443 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: crafts for teenage boys to do  (Read 46434 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stolendreams

I'm thinking we'll rise again

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 04, 2006 08:54:27 AM »

My brother is in the middle of his school holidays, he's bored already and he's not even half way through. He's 15.
He is fascinated by crafts, yesterday he sat down with me and I showed him how I'd created a beaded bracelet. He is genuinely interested in everything I try from stitching to candle making, but the problem is that he can't seem to find a craft that isn't too 'girly' for him.

So I figured here is the perfect place to ask. Does any one have any suggestions for crafts he could try?

I've already taken him to hobbycraft and shown him craft magazines and everything, but he hasn't really found anything to interest him. He's into music and gardening and he's a good artist although he doesn't draw or paint often.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/stolendreams

Formerly known as risingphoenix
SherNWT
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006 08:57:09 AM »

not girly but definitely not cool

Model making?

Sher
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006 09:07:15 AM »

Hmmmm, i like this kind of puzzle.....
Photography?
My 13 year old nephew got his hand on my cameras, and it'll be lucky if I ever see them again!  Dovetails nicely into interests in drawing.

Also: woodcarving;
bonsai - goes with the gardening thing
really BIG macrame -- like swings and hammocks and things;
sculpting with various clays;
Oh! metalwork! -- show him the chain maile stuff here on craftster! There is (was) a young man on here who had some incredible stuff pictured -- very cool.

??  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
dancedupapillon
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006 10:03:49 AM »

Wow, I wish my 15 year old brother were crafty.  He respects my craftiness and fixes clasps on my bracelets, but mechanics and machining are more his thing.  He does have an eye for the aesthetic, though...  He sometimes brings me back interesting engine peices from the shop he works at.  Cheesy

Although knitting and crecheting are typically "girly", he can make himself a manly scarf or socks or something.  I've recently re-discovered knitting and want to share the joy.  Grin

I also second the chainmail.  Very masculine, very cool.

Um, papier mache and plaster gauze sculpture.  Reconstructing things into lamps.  Needlefelting!  The tools are scary and awesomely dangerous, deffinately not girly.

I hope he has fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
charliebrown

Babies are for lickin'

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006 10:08:23 AM »

I have a 19 year old son and he is into making anklets with hemp and wooden beads, making murals with stencils and spray paint and the whole melted bead thing. I also have a 19 year old nephew who does stenciling on jeans with spray paint.

Hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006 10:28:46 AM »

My husband, until recently SWORE he wasn't crafty but I have successfully sucked him in! MUAHAHAHHAHA

Anyway.....he has enjoyed bead melting a BUNCH.  He has raised it to an art form I'm telling you! It's crazy! He even bought a blow torch! I'm not suggesting your 15 year old brother go out and buy a blow torch but he could melt beads.

Melted Bead Craft-A-Long:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=110217.10

My husband also used to build models as a kid and he used those techniques to build the boat below out of pasta and Popsicle sticks.
The Good Ship Ragu and the Pasta Pirates:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=98811.0

He also used modeling techniques for the most recent craft challenge.
Home Sweet Home:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=111622.0

Basically, he will do anything that is a challenge and/or has some sort of danger/science component.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stolendreams

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006 12:45:10 PM »

I'm not suggesting your 15 year old brother go out and buy a blow torch but he could melt beads.

The image of him with a blow torch is fairly scary.

Thank you everyone, really fantastic suggestions.
I will pass them all on to him and definitely direct him to some of the chainmail pieces on here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AriesEJ
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006 11:03:47 AM »

1) Stenciling (some very cool guy images here on craftster). 
2) Sculpty.
3) guy necklaces.
4) friendship bracelets for a g/f (platonic or otherwise)
5) felting creatures.  Some guy made an amazing dragon.
6) etching (make sure he knows to be careful--read warnings)  Use ready made stencils or make his own.
7) woodburning
4) iron transfer.  Every guy has a movie hero or favorite band
5) buy cheap sneakers and use fabric paint or markers.  I saw lyrics on sneakers.
6) a guy sewed up a wonderful creature for his g/f.  It was sweet.  I'm sure he got kidded by his male friends, but the females commenting on his post melted.
7) Learn to sew.  Make custom phone and DS cosies.  Make a messenger bag.  A CD wallet.  Something to hold games.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Philip7424298

Peeps. The start of racism.....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006 12:19:52 PM »

Ok I'm a teenage guy who does anything crafty! (yes even knitting, and sewing), But some cool crafts to do that my friends have complimented me on are those belts made with pop-tabs, capri-sun wallets, and starburst wrapper chains! Of course if he's really tough he could try knitting! no really i'm not kidding try it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\  /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny.
He is on his way to world domination, one signature at a time!
(Copy and paste to help him take over the world)

http://kofk.de/animal.php?id=kingBosney
stolendreams

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006 08:30:46 AM »

Thank you both. And philip, thank you for a teenage guy perspective, really helpful.

He's going to have a go at melted beads, which means saying goodbye to some of my beads, but if it keeps him busy its worth it. And I will definitely be trying to get him to try more of your sugestions

(sadly philip i think knitting is unlikely Roll Eyes)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kpuppy
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006 11:47:53 AM »

Knitting, while I know is percieved as a 'girly' thing, it really isn't! There are a ton of websites out there that are dedicated to men knitting...such as...

http://www.menwhoknit.com/
http://www.menknit.net/ (I particularly like this one -- there are blogs, forums, how-to's, and it is all guy-friendly!)

The best part about knitting is that he can make himself scarves and hats that don't look homemade, so if he is embarrased by his new 'hobby', nobody has to know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strutter
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006 01:11:57 PM »

I think it's stupid how certain crafts are supposed to go to one gender. I mean, its not like it's birth control or something-speficially.

What about alterted books or alterted cds?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stolendreams

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006 02:15:02 AM »

I think it's stupid how certain crafts are supposed to go to one gender.

I totally agree.

thanks all  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethanyCampbell
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006 08:36:23 AM »

i agree too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beth

Check out my job at:
www.data-inputing.com - Earning Money Online From Home!!!
shellybean
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006 08:53:05 AM »

pottery! You don't have to go out and buy a wheel until you get pretty committed to it b/c there's lots of stuff you can do with just clay. There's nothing unmanly about playing with mud and fire. Smiley Also, I took a pottery class in college- the students were predominantly male and it was taught by a man.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blessed are the cracked, for they let in light.
Strutter
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2006 11:30:15 AM »

I think it's stupid how certain crafts are supposed to go to one gender.

I totally agree.

thanks all  Smiley

Gender boxes suck. I mean, it's not gender box at all if its by choice. like a woman who chooses to sew, but saying that it's a woman's craft etc... is stupid. same thing if it was for a guy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dancedupapillon
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2006 11:47:22 AM »

I find it funny that when I learned to weld, girls and guys alike thought it was pretty cool, but most guys shy away from working with yarn or fabric.  The actual type of craft has nothing to do with your sexual organs.  I agree, gender roles suck.

On the other hand, I think risingpheonix's brother meant that he wouldn't make use of some of the products.  Even the boys I know who are willing to wear pink without worrying that someone will question their sexuality probably wouldn't wear delicatly beaded jewelry or carry a purse made out of an old shoe.  Unless he has many a female friend or relative to craft for, I could see why he would call them "girly".

Kuddos to you, risingpheonix's brother.  Way to be a crafty boy.  There are far too few of you.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
stolendreams

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006 12:50:53 PM »

On the other hand, I think risingpheonix's brother meant that he wouldn't make use of some of the products.  Even the boys I know who are willing to wear pink without worrying that someone will question their sexuality probably wouldn't wear delicatly beaded jewelry or carry a purse made out of an old shoe.  Unless he has many a female friend or relative to craft for, I could see why he would call them "girly"

Yup. He's fascinated by some of the jewellery I make, but even if he did do it the only use he'd have for it is to give it away.
Also some of the problem may be that he's at a predominantly male school and admitting he knitted or something similar would probably be very embarrasing for him (this isn't my opinion, I'm all for guys crafting, knitting, sewing, whatever. I'm just trying to put it from his perspective)

Anyway, yeah, definitely didn't mean to offend anyone when I said 'girly crafts' Like I said, it's not my opinion at all. Gender should have nothing to do with crafting or any other part of your life.

He made a melted bead dish today and is going to have a go at woodwork as well.
All your suggestions are in a list for him so that we won't lose them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strutter
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2006 01:05:52 PM »

On the other hand, I think risingpheonix's brother meant that he wouldn't make use of some of the products.  Even the boys I know who are willing to wear pink without worrying that someone will question their sexuality probably wouldn't wear delicatly beaded jewelry or carry a purse made out of an old shoe.  Unless he has many a female friend or relative to craft for, I could see why he would call them "girly"

Yup. He's fascinated by some of the jewellery I make, but even if he did do it the only use he'd have for it is to give it away.
Also some of the problem may be that he's at a predominantly male school and admitting he knitted or something similar would probably be very embarrasing for him (this isn't my opinion, I'm all for guys crafting, knitting, sewing, whatever. I'm just trying to put it from his perspective)

Anyway, yeah, definitely didn't mean to offend anyone when I said 'girly crafts' Like I said, it's not my opinion at all. Gender should have nothing to do with crafting or any other part of your life.

He made a melted bead dish today and is going to have a go at woodwork as well.
All your suggestions are in a list for him so that we won't lose them.

I wasn't like when posting my comments, "How dare you write girly for boy." But just saying that its stupid when other people think that. But in the end, it's just choices. And whatever he chooses I hope he gets awesome at or make cool use of. It's awesome though when you find crafty boys since there aren't a lot (that we know of).

Hopefully I wasn't like mean when I wrote it. I don't want to push anyone down, but I wasn't directing that at you.

(But I admit, when I first saw it I was like, what? I'm not good at not being serious when it comes to joking on [a topic] or like this where you meant it for someone and not by boxing them-which I realized after reading some posts.)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006 01:14:58 PM by veganxwater » THIS ROCKS   Logged

stolendreams

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2006 01:32:34 PM »

Hopefully I wasn't like mean when I wrote it. I don't want to push anyone down, but I wasn't directing that at you.

No, you weren't. I just wanted to make sure anyone else coming along and reading understood. 'girly' probably wasn't the best word, but it was one he'd used earlier that day and I couldn't think of a better word to describe how he felt about it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strutter
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2006 01:47:39 PM »

No, you weren't. I just wanted to make sure anyone else coming along and reading understood. 'girly' probably wasn't the best word, but it was one he'd used earlier that day and I couldn't think of a better word to describe how he felt about it.

If your quoting him [or anyone] or can't think of a better word then it makes sense to use it. I do that to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stolendreams

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2006 01:54:01 PM »

Wow, this has got very off topic.

But thanks. I'm glad I didn't offend you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cinderly
Crazy Cat Lady (in training)

Morkmer loves his eggy!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2006 01:54:47 PM »

What about reconning clothes?  He'll put his own spin on it, but the whole concept is pretty punk-rock.  I think a jacket (blazer) made out of old cords would be particularly killer.  (Great, now I've got another project for my list.)  He could also make himself a snazzy new bag for school from found items. 

If he's *just* looking to keep his hands busy, he can take up knitting/crocheting/quilting for charitable causes.  Good way to support any causes dear to his heart, too.

Decoupage doesn't have to be girly, either.  Pencil box + images he likes + modge podge = new locker or desk accessory.

Mosaics or stained glass could be cool, but time- and cost-intensive to set up (I think).

Screenprint.  Make journals.  Paint stuff.  Stencil rocks for a garden border.  Make stuff with duct tape.  Become a phenomenal baker or chef.  Recycle children's toys into yard art.  Etch or paint some glasses.

Or, better yet, get him to register on craftster.  He could easily burn up the rest of his break browsing through stuff here.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stuff I've made  --  Swap Info  --  Wist  -- got a secret?

Got 4.5" cotton squares?  I <3 personal swaps!
Strutter
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2006 02:05:30 PM »

What about reconning clothes?  He'll put his own spin on it, but the whole concept is pretty punk-rock.  I think a jacket (blazer) made out of old cords would be particularly killer.  (Great, now I've got another project for my list.)  He could also make himself a snazzy new bag for school from found items. 

If he's *just* looking to keep his hands busy, he can take up knitting/crocheting/quilting for charitable causes.  Good way to support any causes dear to his heart, too.

Decoupage doesn't have to be girly, either.  Pencil box + images he likes + modge podge = new locker or desk accessory.

Mosaics or stained glass could be cool, but time- and cost-intensive to set up (I think).

Screenprint.  Make journals.  Paint stuff.  Stencil rocks for a garden border.  Make stuff with duct tape.  Become a phenomenal baker or chef.  Recycle children's toys into yard art.  Etch or paint some glasses.

Or, better yet, get him to register on craftster.  He could easily burn up the rest of his break browsing through stuff here.  Smiley

Those are good ideas. I can't believe i didn't think of reconning clothes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Philip7424298

Peeps. The start of racism.....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2006 02:46:57 PM »

Hey Thanks for suporting me in being a gut who knits! I know that Knitting as a guy, at school I've started a trend with guys knitting, and have become very popular! also I second the duct tape idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\  /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny.
He is on his way to world domination, one signature at a time!
(Copy and paste to help him take over the world)

http://kofk.de/animal.php?id=kingBosney
shellybean
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2006 02:58:37 PM »

Woodworking=awesome! My grandfather used to go to junk yards and get old armoires, stools, chests, etc... and restore them. He also would get blocks of wood and turn them into beautiful bowls and he turned slices of old stumps into clocks. The moral of the story: he found a way to keep himself busy and also left us with wonderful family heirlooms. He made me a hopechest when I turned 16 and it was in my parents storage building when huge oak a tree fell directly on that part of the building during hurricane Katrina. The tree was literally sitting on top of it. The only parts of it (and its contents) that were broken were the wheels on the bottom. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blessed are the cracked, for they let in light.
diosaperdida
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2006 05:32:57 PM »

I was chit chatting with a lady in the knitting book section of a large bookstore today...and she proudly told me that both her teenaged boys knit and crochet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
swift

That's never a pit bull!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2006 08:09:29 AM »

I'm offering a candy making class at the library and the first five registrants were boys! Apparently teenaged boys like to eat. Hmmm, I think I'm on to something here.

Stencilling and etching glass with that etching cream is considered manly amongst my male friends, and bookbinding is definitely in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's not an obsession. It's a quest for excellence!"
stolendreams

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2006 10:42:52 AM »

Apparently teenaged boys like to eat. Hmmm, I think I'm on to something here.
LOL. I think you may be. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2006 11:01:42 AM »

My husband is a Scout and Venturer leader and does lots of cool crafty things with his teenage boys that even my husband doesn't really consider "crafty":

1.  Leatherwork.  They all love the leatherwork.  You can buy kits and so on from places like Tandy Leather, or just the materials.  Hubby and troup have made knife sheaths, wallets, book covers etc, always tooled and oftened dyed.  Don't forget DIY punk rock accessories!

2.  Woodburning.  The scouts burn their staves and canoe paddles etc, but lots of things are wood, and with time and patience, a length of wide, flat board can become a real work of art.

3.  Pioneering.  That's tying sticks together with ropes to build things.  The scouts make flagpole stands, towers etc.  I think it would be awesome to have a set of end tables and a coffee table made out of nithing but sticks and string.  Or a chair... a shelf... boxes... a stereo stand...

4.  Painting.  Picasso to Monet to VanGogh to Michaelangelo... all guys.  Good paint by number kits are available for beginners.  They teach the techniques and don't end up lookinglike paint by number. 

5.  Model Rockets.  Start with a kit to learn the basics.  Then just get a cardboard tube and some balsa wood and model paint and go to.  Then blast the thing to kingdom come out in a big field (here in northern Ontario, we have 5 good months of rocket-firing on frozen lakes).

6. Model anything.  Think those dinosaur or animal kits you can get at touristy places with the pre-punches pieces you put together.  Again, get one of those to learn from, then go nuts with a sheet of wood and an exacto knife.

7.  Stuff out of duct tape.

8.  Stained glass.  Traditional, or set it in concrete to make patio stones or table tops.

9.  Plaster of paris also lends itself to a variety of crafts.

10.  Papier mache.  Who doesn't love papier mache?  I made a piggy bank a few years ago with a balloon and the cups from an egg tray as a base, and strips of newspaper with wallpaper paste to stick them down, elementary-school style.  I painted it with tempera then varnished it.  It's rock-solid awesome.  Come to think, I should post a picture sometime...

Anyhow, there's the first 10 things I thought of.  Happy crafting!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2006 11:13:22 PM »

Lots of good ideas. Yarnhag's mentioning model rockets made me think of those 2-liter plastic drink bottle rockets (you pump water in them until they "fire off") that children can make, which then made me think of marshmallow guns. What boy wouldn't like to have a marshmallow gun? There's tutorials online, possibly even on Crafter.

While it obviously wouldn't be for every boy, some might like to make knotted rosaries. I tend to think of knotting as a "male" craft, possibly because I associate it with sailors and generations of fishermen making and repairing nets. If you page down on this page
http://www.rosaryworkshop.com/SERVICEcordRosaries.html
there's instructions on knotted cord rosaries. And this page
http://www.rangerrosary.com/make.html
has instructions on "ranger rosaries", which are made of parachute cord, plastic pony beads, and plastic crucifixes in dark colors, so that they are lightweight, quiet, and reasonably camouflaged for soldiers to use; they're pretty masculine-looking. Like I said, they're not for everyone, but maybe the knot instructions on those pages could be adapted to make other craft items.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
Lollirot
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2006 02:45:36 PM »

I think it's stupid how certain crafts are supposed to go to one gender. I mean, its not like it's birth control or something-speficially.

What about alterted books or alterted cds?
Agreed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Naphtha
Display your favorite memorabillia!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2006 03:12:44 PM »

At camp every year there's a big ordeal about what to do with the oldest boys during arts and crafts time, but without fail it comes down to soapstone carving and lanyards. Soapstone carving is so much fun, and it's just rock and sharp utensils- nothing in the traditional sense of 'girly' there. And the lanyards with six strands are super-cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Star Style: Who Inspires Solange Knowles
Dress Code Violations From The 2013 Grammys
Best & Worst Dressed From The Grammys 2013 Red Carpet
How to Pick a Swimsuit for an Hourglass-Shaped Body
How to Pick a Swimsuit for a Pear-Shaped Body
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...