A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
525 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Your honest opinion about wedding decor  (Read 3895 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Faren
Sit and Spin

I am Sci-Fi

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006 07:31:07 AM »

I think it sounds beautiful!  and I agree with everyone else, it is your wedding!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal Swap Friendly!

My Wists  http://wists.com/Faren
http://www.flickr.com/photos/faren422/

New hand spun yarns listed! 2/27/10
http://www.annellsannex.etsy.com
kinkyknit
Pathological Knitter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006 08:12:58 AM »

My honest opinion on wedding decor (well, wedding anything, actually) is: Sod what anyone else thinks, it's your day, have it just how you want it   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

McJulie-O
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006 10:28:49 AM »

It sounds wonderful to me! You can't let others dictate your limitations.....bes ides, being frugal at this point will speed you on to a much better marriage without the HUGE CRIPPLING debt that weddings-by-the-(very expensive)-book can engender. You might envision how you will spend your savings later on, whether on a house or a car or something entirely more useful.

When my daughter was married, she wanted an underlying theme of Growing, growing together, growing in character, growing closer.......she had fresh flowers and greenery everywhere, but each of the floral centerpieces had multiple photos from the bride and groom's childhood and family activities (laser photocopies glued to sturdy cardstock) stuck on floral picks in the arrangements. Because the variety of pictures was spread all over the room, folks mingled and mixed while moving around the room looking for the cute pictures they hadn't seen yet. Several people commented on how fun it was.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006 10:51:48 AM »

My brother's wedding was simple, chic, and eclectic. They got married in a historic garden in Central Florida (Bok Tower Gardens) They did a loose "Old Florida" theme.

His wife had a painted wire bird cage (with the cage door open) or wire vase at every table with Ivy and some wild flowers.  They did place cards out of that really cool paper that has seeds in it, each name was hand written by his bride.  (It was a really small wedding.) Then for other decorations there were wire bird cages and ivy "about" the room.  Their "gift" to everyone was a very simple stained glass flower suncatcher, in the colors of the wild flowers, that my mom made. The wild flowers....and I'm going by memory....were mostly yellows and white.  But the stained glass pieces had a few more colors. The stained glass flowers were all one color not multi colored.

When the guests arrived at the hotel (a very "Old Florida" hotel....built in the 1920s....it was the kind of place people used to come to and stay for months then go back up north in the summer.) Every guest had a goodie bag waiting for them with candies, fruits and other snacks from the area.  The bags were decorated in vintage postcards of their wedding location from this web page: http://www.floridamemory.com/PhotographicCollection/collections_index.cfm Or here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=111723.0.

The end result was VERY nice, simple, and classic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lindira

"The freckles in our eyes are mirror images"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006 11:22:29 AM »

I think your ideas sound very beautiful! I had lanterns at my wedding, and they cast a nice, soft light on everything.

You shouldn't let that person's opinion make you lose confidence in your ideas. A lot of people think of weddings as a time to show off or impress other people. Like Keeping Up with the Joneses, but instead of planting award-winning roses and begonias, you match unicorn ice sculptures with unicorn-shaped Swarovski crystal centerpieces. And there's nothing wrong with wanting ice sculptures and crystal centerpieces that match, but if that's not who you and your FH are, then it loses it's significance. Do what works for you, and don't worry about what other people think. With weddings, everybody is very vocal about their opinions, and they're all different, so you might as well make yourself happy and not torture yourself with making everybody else happy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhiandmoi
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2006 12:06:52 PM »

I think it could go either way, thrown together or cohesive. For my wedding - which is in 36 days - we are having basically 3 different centerpieces. We are actually having 6 different center pieces over 22 tables, but we are having 4 kinds of mini topiaries, vases filled with fruit, and then a more traditional floral arangement. I didn't want them to all be matching, but I didn't want too much going on. Besides making 22 different centerpieces is too much work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katiekaboom
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2006 03:33:32 PM »

My opinion is to do it yourself. It may take  a lot of hard work but it will be what YOU want. I hired a so called "professional" at my wedding and she totally screwed all kinds of things up because she overbooked. I didn't even know she had other weddings on that day. Put it this way she was still putting candles outside when my guests where arriving. After that I really wished I went with my first instinct to do it all myself because I would have had what I wanted down to the last little detail.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My heart beats outside my chest. He sleeps in a Spongebob Bed.
anniefee
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2006 04:03:59 PM »

i think your ideas sound lovely! i think the fabrics and lanterns sound eclectic and fun.  at my wedding last october we bought bouquets of fall flowers from various stores the day before the wedding and used old-fashioned teapots as vases and those were our centerpieces. when we ran out of vases, we used raffia to wrap around the leftover flowers and used those as centerpieces and decorations around the deck (reception was outside at a friend's farm). my mom at first thought it would look completely thrift store thrown together, but once she saw it all laid out she loved it.

so! keep going with what you are planning. it all sounds like it will really come together and look cohesive but not boringly uniform.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done." Teddy Roosevelt

http://annieisabel.etsy.com
Ris
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2006 04:49:11 PM »

Hey, i think it sounds rad. If you think it might be to "scattery," you can always have one or two elements tying everything together, such as spraypainted gold/bronze leaves scattered in and amongst the items on every table, or make sure all your tins are the same color, etc. You could even string in gold lights or candles or something throughout the items, just to kind of make it seem more like ONE piece, as opposed to many pieces. Even some sort of matching ribbon flowing around the items would work.

I think it sounds different and wonderful! I for one would like to see more weddings like yours! I got married in vegas and the hardest decision I had to make was what color combo I wanted for my flowers. I said PINK AND YELLOW!!! Man I was the laziest bride ever. Cheesy 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Polybeadry
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2006 05:36:39 PM »

That sounds gorgeous, original and memorable.

You know what you need to start doing? When people give you advice like that, say "thanks for your input", smile, and then do what you want. Because trust me, in the next year you're going to go crazy if you try to listen to everyone or accomodate what everyone else wants/needs/thinks about your wedding.
Its your day, your wedding, you only get one, so do it YOUR way. (and your fiance's way of course!)

I've been to a lot of weddings, and I really liked the ones where people decorated their own way and did their own thing.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty.Old.Hipster?
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Agua Bendita 2013 At Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Swim, Miami Beach
Dolores Cortes 2013 At Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Swim, Miami Beach
Éclairée 2013 At Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Swim
Oscars 2012 Red Carpet Fashion Wins and Fails
Different Celebrity, Same Dress: Kirsten Dunst Vs. Tory Burch
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...