A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,850
Currently Running With Scissors:
621 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Westminster Fair?  (Read 1117 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mojo
« on: August 13, 2004 01:33:25 PM »

I heard rumor that there's some sort of craft fair going on downtown tomorrow (8/14) but I can't find any official info.  Anyone know the scoop?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

boygirlparty
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004 04:06:20 PM »

they seem to get put together on the last minute side.. another one is coming up!  here's the info:

Tazza is trying to coordinate another streetfest on
October 9.  We received a lot of good feedback on our August 14th event and
this time we will do our best not to schedule it in between two hurricanes.

On October 9th, FirstWorks Prov is holding a festival that will take place
on Westminster Street (check out www.firstworksprov. com).  It is going to be
a fantastic event.  Your tables and tents will be set up right in the heart
of it.  In addition, there will also be a waterfire that night.  It would
start at around 4pm.  This time you will have to bring your own table and
tent.  There may be a small fee for the event.

i don't know who exactly you're supposed to contact since the email i received was a forward of a forward of a forward, but if you call Tazza, they could probably direct you to the right person.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.boygirlparty.com: illustrations and fun stuff by susie ghahremani
http://shop.boygirlparty.com: the shop at boygirlparty.com
sewing stars
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004 03:15:44 PM »

i was there. it wasn't good at all. very disorganized and too far away from the actual waterfire. i think they should move it down towards the river.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sewingstars.com
never forget how to fly...
boygirlparty
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004 06:05:59 PM »

i think the organizers of the westminster fair are trying to include the crafty community (found just up the road, across the highway, on westminster by way of okie dokie) by way of allowing space for craft sales in the middle of their fest, something geared toward people coming to the event who are involved in some way with the providence chamber of commerce.  really it's just to give crafters some exposure it seems, not to make $$ or be seen as a craft fair, but rather a community event.  waterfire is a pretty different event altogether, one that isn't really geared toward the community specifically.  in fact, it seems pretty geared towards tourists.  and while i think it would be neat to have crafters there, and be excellent exposure for crafters as well as a sure-fire way to make a buck, that's not really an alternative.  it's cool that the westminster st. people are, at the very least, making an effort to be inclusive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewing stars
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004 05:49:52 AM »

maybe you had better luck at the july westminister sale, but the august one i was at wasn't worth my time. i wasn't under the impression that they were trying to include crafty people with the fest but rather we were suppose to be the fest, because the only other event (which was 3 blocks away) was tango dancing. i don't know...i still feel like if it were more directly involved with waterfire it would be a better sale, or maybe when downtown has been a little more revitalized it would be okay to be further down on westminister like we were. we were just ploped on the street outside of tazza, i think last time there was a store front involved...that is what i heard from johanna. i was just really uncomfortable there, and a couple of crazy people were bothering a few of us. like one guy tried to take a stuffed animal off the table and said i should give it to him for free, all the while breathing smoke all over my stuff. maybe i just had a bad experience.

how was it in july?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sewingstars.com
boygirlparty
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004 09:55:26 AM »

at the july westminster st. fair, i definitely recall being scarily chased down the street by a terrifying big nazo puppet.  overall, the event wasn't well publicized, but i had fun.  margaret, johanna and kath had gotten some food and drinks together - so at the very least, when nobody was selling much, we hit the sauce.  minty lime!
the sale wasn't amazing, i only sold a couple things, but then again - it was tax free and there was no charge to participate, so i really can't complain.  i'm grateful that there was any sort of event like that at all.
i got the impression that the people who were at the event had no idea a craft sale was supposed to be going on...
anyway, i agree with you that the event is in no way intended to *serve* the craft community (at least it seemed in july, the location was slightly better!) but i appreciate the efforts from the people involved to make the attempt to include us, even if it's a little haphazard, and even if it feels like not a whole lot gained, the providence crafty community coming together is always a nice experience to take part in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewing stars
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2004 01:20:48 PM »

the crafty community of providence has really come together because of events like craftland, and also due to craftster. because of stores like oop, and events like the risd alumni sale it seems like the providence community is already really nurturing towards the crafty arts, and these two things have helped all of us crafters find eachother and get to know one another.

i am all for a weekly or monthy run street faire (i used to do the monrovia street faire in california for three summers and it was weekly) but i think another location would be better. i feel like the lady at tazza wanted to get us crafters together, but due to a lack of publicity and parking it was a no go. i have to admitt it was fun hanging out with deb, kath, johanna, and the others (like the ANT guy, doug). big nazo was at it for a 1/2 hour or so, but one kept humping the few customers that were wandering down, which made them leave, and all the crazy people were disconcerting at times.

i wish there was a way to run a summer street faire on Thayer street, or possibly a side road up there, like along the back of wheeler. i think that would be really good locale for a street faire. maybe someday i'll try to organize one...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sewingstars.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cornbread Stuffing Recipe
How to Make Macaroni and Cheese
Behind the Sandwich: Crispy Pork at Bark Hot Dogs
The Best Burger in New York City: The Brindle Room
Dr. Travis Makes a Healthy Deep Dish Pizza
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete
Mmm, Bacon!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...