A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,522
Currently Running With Scissors:
621 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bettie Page blanket- my big secret project is ruined...*now with pics*  (Read 1266 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Shortstuff411

Yarn Frog Princess and sometime Knittin' Kitten

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2006 02:29:47 PM »

Argh!!! I just want to scream!  Sad

I have been working on a project, (the biggest one I've ever attempted) since APRIL (I know some of you on here can turn out a sweater in a week, I only wish I could!) I was hoping to unveil it to you all really soon.

But it looks like it won't be here at all, well, not in the way I hoped  Undecided

I finally got to the top, started the border- which is in basket weave- like a giant moss stitch type thing, it wont add up, though it should.

Then I was told to put the shading on it in duplicate stitch, well, it looks messy, and I wish I'd stuck with the intarsia I originally planned, even though each row was taking 20 mins to do that way.

Also even though I charted the pic (which I got off the net) onto knitpro, it has still come out wide and squashed looking, anyone else had this problem?? It looks like I should have knitted each row on the chart twice to make the pic the right shape.

It would have been great, it was going to be finished just in time to coincide with the release of the film of the life of said subject (a clue)  Wink

I feel so downhearted, I've put most of the other projects on hold to do this, I was so excited with it. And to top it off, my wrists are killing me as I was trying to get it done in time to take to the next 'Knit Club' meet next weekend.  Cry

So.... do I stick with it, even though its a disaster, or cut my losses and start a new (smaller)  Wink one?

I'll get my other half to put a link with a pic of said disaster and chart on here later.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!  Undecided
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006 05:13:20 AM by Shortstuff411 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have...
lunasblue
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006 04:28:48 PM »

my 2 cents - if you think you'll wear it, keep on! If you think you'll end up stashing it in the back of the closet, start again.
maybe someone at your knit club can help you? or just put it away for a bit and work on your other projects Smiley
Earlier this year I was working on 2 sweaters, I'd ditch it when I got sick of the color and pick up the second one till I got sick of that one. It took way too long to make them but I was happy with my sweater when it was done and my sister loved hers... trying to keep your spirits lifted Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
djinnj
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006 10:12:51 PM »

I'd probably frog it and start again with a better understanding of how to get what I want.  It'd be faster the second time 'round too.

Re: knitpro.  If you used it when it only had the square chart, they you're out of luck.  Knit stitches at a normal gauge are not square.  If you used the new version which has rectangular cells, it would depend on how you oriented the cells (should be wider than they are tall).  And since knitpro goes by a 7::9 ratio (I believe), it still won't be perfect unless you're gauge is exactly 7st by 9r.  When I chart things, I take my gauge and then use an actual size graph generator (for example http://www.tata-tatao.to/knit/matrix/e-index.html) and then open it up in Photoshop Elements and superimpose it over the image I want.  Or print it out and use pencils to do it by hand.  Charting this way means you can adjust the image to get it as close to perfect as possible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shortstuff411

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006 03:20:46 AM »

Well, here it is, my other half saw it and said the same as me, it definately looks like it should be twice the height. I used the correct rectangular graph on the knitpro site, and it took until knitting her head to be able to see it wasnt going to look right.  Roll Eyes She looks somewhat alienlike.  Shocked

So.... do I frog and find a new pic?? I may just save it long enough to take to my Knit Club to give everyone a laugh!  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

The original picture

The disasterous results  Undecided (just look at that wierd eye! and that squashed head! and skinny arm, eek!!!!  Shocked Even if the other shading was filled in with duplicate stitch, to give the shape of the features, it's scary, but its right *according to the pattern*!  Roll Eyes

the chart (excuse the scribbles)

Gratuitous pic of my latest additions to our evergrowing Nautie family 'Orrpy' (red one) and 'Skully' the white, dead one- my 'Nautaloid homage' to Tim Burton!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

djinnj
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006 04:44:14 AM »

It looks like the cells on your chart are oriented the wrong way for the direction you're knitting, but it's hard to tell.  Also, keep in mind that the farther your gauge is from the chart gauge, the less it will look like the chart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shortstuff411

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006 05:15:43 AM »

Thanks djinnj, I did re-do the chart on knitpro again, but it came out the same, so I think I'll try it the way you described and give the link you posted a go.

Cheers  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006 05:42:25 AM by Shortstuff411 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wizardesssss

Cherish your bliss!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006 07:34:20 AM »

LOL....Her boob looks weird  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
White Chocolate Cheesecake from Colicchio & Sons
Your Definition Of Salad Should Not Include This
Chocolate-Dipped Shortbread Cookie Recipe
How to Make a Next-Level Fruit Salad
How to Make Movie Theater Popcorn Cake
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...