A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 300,871
Currently Running With Scissors:
636 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: gnat problem!  (Read 1063 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

capitanjen
« on: August 03, 2006 01:47:11 PM »

well, i dont even know if they are gnats, but there are so many little colonies of tiny flies that are living in my house plants! i used some insectiside, but it didnt work. then i repotted the plant, hoping to get rid of any in the soil, and it worked for about a week or two, but then they came back again! they are so annoying!! does anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of them please? I NEED ANY HELP I CAN GET!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fght ff yr dmns. crft n yr slp.
riccalo
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006 02:56:03 PM »

I searched www.google.com for "how to get rid of gnats naturally" and found this page:
( http://www.ehow.com/how_3885_rid-indoor-gnats.html ) It seemed to have some good ideas. Good luck getting rid of the nasty little buggers! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité !
bizzzibee
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006 02:04:24 PM »

I had a similar problem in my home.  It was my bird cage.  We had this huge cage for our amazon parrot that was a total pain to keep up with.  The little flies/gnats loved the moisture from the bottom of the cage.  We would "clean" the bedding of the poo poo, but even just a bit of urine or water from his dish and they would lay their eggs.  The way we beat them was to downsize the cage and keep it dry ALL the time.  Poured bleach down all of our drains (once they infest a home they will lay their eggs in the drains) including the tub and shower.  And had to be very vigilant about having no wet towels or bathmats, get them up off the floor and hang them to dry right away.  After a couple of week, when all of the eggs have hatched you will get rid of them.  Just remember that they live and reproduce on anything that is damp.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
capitanjen
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006 09:41:25 PM »

hmm... maybe i dont have a gnat problem then, because they are laying eggs in my plant's soil, not in water. does anyone know what they could be?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bubbledragon
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006 12:03:17 PM »

Might be gnats, still.  My uncle suggests taking an unused salt shaker and putting vinegar or pickle juice in it and sitting it in your problem area for a while - apparently they fly in, but get trapped in the juice.  (This is also suggested on the site linked above.)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Atomic Alice
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006 11:54:40 AM »

OMG, those little bastards, we get them all the time in our kitchen where my herbs are! HATE you little bugs.  Yeah, they like the damp soil...this year I'm only growing two types of basil and also some indigo, which, apparently, helps somehow to repel them, so it has actually cut down a lot, I only see a couple here and there now (must try vinegar trick!)...for some reason, they also seem to be attracted to the television screen (static?), b/c at night sometimes I catch one when I'm watching tv.  I swear they get in through the window screens too, they are so tiny.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://foolmoon.etsy.com

Merricat, said Constance, would you like a cup of tea?
Oh, no, said Merricat, you'll poison me.
ShaynaYasha
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006 01:38:13 PM »

OK... here's the best way to get rid of those little gnats.  Ready... go to a nursery (home depot or lowes, too) and get a $4.00 Venus fly trap.  Done.  In a couple of days, you won't see anymore gnats or fruit flies or anything else for that fact.  I live is South Florida and we get all sorts of flying things.  I put a VFT in my kitchen... Done. Grin  good luck Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

""Mother is the name of God on the lips and hearts of all children."- Eric Draven"
capitanjen
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006 01:27:18 AM »

OK... here's the best way to get rid of those little gnats.  Ready... go to a nursery (home depot or lowes, too) and get a $4.00 Venus fly trap.  Done.  In a couple of days, you won't see anymore gnats or fruit flies or anything else for that fact.  I live is South Florida and we get all sorts of flying things.  I put a VFT in my kitchen... Done. Grin  good luck Wink
i actually was planning to do this!! unfortunately, my mom would probably not like a venus fly trap in her house... too bad huh? theyre so cool too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006 02:05:22 AM »

WARNING! If you get a VFT, you do NOT want to repot it OR remove it from the plastic container! We did that and it died fast. The plant we bought for my FIL is still alive. Oh, and take off any blossoms before they flower. VFT's in the home are too weak to survive it.

We did a lot of research on them. We have a horrible fly prob since we have chicken houses on one side and cattle/pigs on the other Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
smash
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006 11:01:09 AM »

I've had excellent success with the apple cider vinegar trick. I poured some into a vase, and rolled a piece of scrap paper into a funnel. Stick the funnel into the vase opening. Apparently, gnats can get into small holes but can't figure out how to get out, thus the funnel. I just leave it sitting out and change the vinegar occassionally and I have no more gnats, ever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
CoolAger of the Year Awards
Adam Goldman: What Are You Reading?
Lisa Unger: What Are You Reading?
Passionaries by Tonya Hurley Book Trailer
7-Year-Old Shows Off The Book He Wrote About Robots
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...