A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,187
Currently Running With Scissors:
403 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
    Print  
Topic: 8/3/06 - Craftster Infiltrated! Darn Spammers/Scammers!  (Read 15120 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

babyduckling4

My beautiful Janome

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2006 08:49:47 AM »

I like the idea from Teddybearbones, but I would be worried that they would start posting junk all over the forum just to be able to PM people. Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2006 09:28:06 AM »

What I noticed about the people who PMed me is that their post count was 0. What if you made it so you needed 1 post to PM someone? that would definitely screw the scammers over.. and anyone who had trouble PMing people would obviosly post in a public way to ask how to fix it, and thus fix it ;]

I think that's what Leah was considering when she mention this...

I'm going to try to come up with some safeguard that prevents people form being able to do this. It's tricky to come up with just the right safeguard though because I want to try not to punish people who legitimately sign up to send someone a legitimate Private Message.

We don't want to detour those people that legitimately sign up to PM someone. Sad  I've had quite a few PMs from new members that signed up with a question about a project and then later became more involved in the public posting/forum aspect.

I like the idea from Teddybearbones, but I would be worried that they would start posting junk all over the forum just to be able to PM people. Huh

I agree!

This is a problem we tend to have with members that sign up with the intent of advertising/spam.  We tried to nab them as quickly as possible & usually with reports from all of you, we do...but they are quite the lil' pests!  I think they might publically post their scam, rather than PM it or post something/anything just to be able to PM.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Strutter
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2006 11:24:59 AM »

I hope it didn't sound horrible when I wrote it~ I just couldn't grasp why someone would use something so horrible to try to get money from someone!

Nah, it doesn't sound horrible...I laughed when I read it, too.  And it's a logical question.

Thanks for all your work, Leah.  And that scambaiting site is really...something special.

I didn't think it was horrible, I just laughed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2006 03:44:58 PM »

Here are some examples of Craftster spammy PMs I have received...

From Prince Micheal,
Abidjan Cote D'ivoire
West Africa.

Dear One,

I am Prince Micheal David the only Son of late King David Kule,
My father was former Director of finance Sierra-Leone diamond,Gold and mining corporation, in Free Town , the economic capital of Sierra Leon, my father was poisoned to death by his business associates on one of their outings on a business trip .While my mother died when I was a baby and since then my father took me so special. Before his death on october 2005 in a private hospital in Free Town Sierra Leon. he secretly called me on his bed side and told me that he has the sum of Seven Million Two Hundred Thousand,United State Dollars. US($7,200.000.00) left in fixed /suspense account in one of the prime bank in Abidjan the economic capital of  Cote d'Ivoire,that he used my name as his only Son for the next of Kin in depositing of the fund. He also explained to me that it was because of this wealth that he was poisoned by his business ssociates.That incase he die I should move out of the country down to Cote d' Ivoire where he made the deposit to seek for a foreign partner in a country of my choice where i will transfer this money and use it for investment purpose after my education such as real estate management or hotel management.I am living in Cote D'Ivoire since 3months now.
Dear I am honourably seeking your assistance in the following ways,To provide a bank account into which this money would be transferred to,To serve as a guardian of this fund since I am only 22years and To make arrangement for me to come over to your country to further my education and to secure a resident permit in your country while you will be take care of investing this money.
Moreover, Dear, I am willing to offer you 15% of the total sum as compensation for your effort/ input after the successful transfer of this fund into your nominated account overseas Furthermore, you indicate your options towards assisting me as I believe that this transaction would be concluded within Seven (7) days you signify interest to assist me.

Anticipating to hear from you via this address <removed> or call <removed>

Best Regard,

Prince Micheal.

FROM MARK & SISTER
ABIDJAN COTE D IVIORE

My Dear
                     CONFIDENTIAL
I am mark kono from Ivory Coast. I lost my Father Mr.williams kono a couple of months ago. My Father was a serving director of the Cocoa exporting abroad until his death .He was assassinated last january 09/01/2004 by the rebels following the political uprising. Before his death he had a box deposited in a Security Company here in Cote d' Ivoire up to the tune of ($9.5M)is in the box, which  was for the importation of cocoa processing machine. I want you to do me a favour to receive this box to a safe place in your country or any safer place as the beneficiary .MOREOVER,I AM WILLING TO OFFER YOU 10% OF THE TOTAL SUM AS COMPENSATION WHEN THE BOX IS SUCCESSFUL DELIVERED TO YOUR COUNTRY.)I have plans to do investment in your country, like real estate and industrial production.This is my reason for writing to you.Please if you are willing to assist me indicate your interest in replying me soonest,see our email is <removed>

Thanks
Best regards
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2006 06:59:50 PM »

That punk still didnt reply Grin

He probably was shocked that there was a reply  Cheesy don't know what to do, but they know now that your e-mail is a live one.

They already know it's a live one since the email didn't bounce.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
Hollow Shel
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2006 06:35:23 AM »

We don't want to detour those people that legitimately sign up to PM someone. Sad  I've had quite a few PMs from new members that signed up with a question about a project and then later became more involved in the public posting/forum aspect.
As a new member (yay for second post!) I understand why you wouldn't want to discourage people - but at the same time, as a newbie I totally understand the idea of having to be careful of spam/scammers. If I couldn't pm cause I didn't have a post count high enough, I'd understand, so long as it didn't require some outrageous number of posts. As well, sweets4ever you're a moderator, and undoubtedly get more pm's than the average person. Perhaps make it possible for newbies to pm mods but not general users at first? Yes, it sucks for the mods - but they're all aware of the spam/scam problems, and someone who isn't aware of it might get taken in.
This (posting junk) is a problem we tend to have with members that sign up with the intent of advertising/spam.  We tried to nab them as quickly as possible & usually with reports from all of you, we do...but they are quite the lil' pests!  I think they might publically post their scam, rather than PM it or post something/anything just to be able to PM.
good point - but at least a publically posted scam can get a rebuttal from a mod and then get locked down as an example of "what sort of messages NOT to reply to" or just outright deleted, and the spammer's account taken away. Though I do figure that it's likely to make more work for the mods - so I understand if it's not a favored option. (this board appears huge and it's undoubtedly a challenge to keep up with it)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am not obsessive compulsive, I am not obsessive compulsive, I am not obsessive compulsive...

Bringing sexy back for a refund. It really just wasn't "me".
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2006 06:45:39 AM »

Good points, Hollow Shel!   It's great to hear these ideas from a new member, especially since you are in the position of the members we were concerned about detouring, turning away, etc.  It's good to know that you would understand if we had some sort of post requirement prior to PMing...really good!  Smiley

As for PMing mods or more work, it wouldn't be a problem at all (not to me at least - I probably shouldn't speak for all the mods or they will hunt me down & bop me on the head).

Perhaps we could combine all of these ideas...?  I was worried about something like this causing scams to be posted all over the boards (some of the boards aren't as active and don't have daily moderators, so I'd be worried they may not be nabbed as quickly on those).  Maybe a newly registered user must have 2 (just grabbing a wild number) posts and can only post on the board, "Introduce Yourself" (or some other fairly-contained board that could be easily moderated...not the ever-so-popular Misc. Completed Crafts board which is humongous!) prior to posting anywhere else OR PMing.

This may nab those nasty PM spammers as well as the post spammers that have their first post similar to "BUY MY NOKIA CELL PHONES! BUY BUY BUY!" (argh, those annoy me!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Audiz

"Autism Awareness"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2006 08:13:37 AM »

This is a funny version of the "scam the scammer," and it's even a little bit crafty (kind of).

http://www.newssocket.com/features/article/231/

Kiell

I have to say this was the funniest  Cheesy Glad to see that the scammer got a dose of his own medicine.  This guy did a great job  Smiley  ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is no wisdom greater than kindness.
BethanyCampbell
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2006 01:11:56 PM »

Oh, I get them all the time in my e-mails. I just report them.  The lastest ones I've been getting are some soldiers in Iraq found a large amount of money US currancy and want to hide it for safe keeping and promising to split, LOL!!! Yeah right.  Now that is screaming spam/scam.

Thats so funny!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beth

Check out my job at:
www.data-inputing.com - Earning Money Online From Home!!!
KnitChick1979
Antauri Fangirl

Going ghost!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2006 11:14:54 PM »

I agree with the requirement to post before PMing idea.  I haven't gotten any of those spam posts here but many in my many email addys I've had in the past 12 years, and just lately (last week or so), two in SNAIL MAIL.  Annoying as all get out? Heck yeah!

Mary Jo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Mind over matter is nothing compared to hands-free refreshment!" ~Antauri

Help in the race to beat Alzheimer's!

Information for swap partners
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Print  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Select With the Polygonal Lasso Tool in Photoshop CS3
How to Select With the Selection Tool in Flash CS3
How to Set Snapping Options in Flash CS3
How to Show or Hide Rulers in InDesign CS3
How to Switch Between Merge Drawing Mode and Object Drawing Mode in Flash CS3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...