A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,528
Currently Running With Scissors:
349 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Jump to page:
    Print  
Topic: 8/3/06 - Craftster Infiltrated! Darn Spammers/Scammers!  (Read 15210 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KnitChick1979
Antauri Fangirl

Going ghost!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2006 06:12:52 PM »

Oh I'm on the Do Not Call list, put both phone lines on as soon as it opened up.  Places get around it though.  Life Source is constantly calling (I call them the Vampires, guess my dad's blood is to their liking).  It helped a bit, but not that much.

Mary Jo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Mind over matter is nothing compared to hands-free refreshment!" ~Antauri

Help in the race to beat Alzheimer's!

Information for swap partners
teddybearbones

I made you a bag lunch C:

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2006 06:53:41 PM »

There is a do not call registry, register your phone # and soliciators cannot call you or they risk being fined.   Also, heard at one time that the samething was gonna go for e-mails but guess that would be difficult, haven't heard anymore about that one...

The do not call registry is only for telemarketers... teleresearchers are exempt. (and it's also only in the states ;] )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

|art| |etsy| |wists| |blog|
Audiz

"Autism Awareness"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2006 09:47:58 PM »

Oh I'm on the Do Not Call list, put both phone lines on as soon as it opened up.  Places get around it though.  Life Source is constantly calling (I call them the Vampires, guess my dad's blood is to their liking).  It helped a bit, but not that much.

Mary Jo

Never heard of Life Source, Oops Shocked better not say or they'll start call me.  Hey, that's a good name for them  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is no wisdom greater than kindness.
Audiz

"Autism Awareness"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2006 09:56:00 PM »

There is a do not call registry, register your phone # and soliciators cannot call you or they risk being fined.   Also, heard at one time that the samething was gonna go for e-mails but guess that would be difficult, haven't heard anymore about that one...

The do not call registry is only for telemarketers... teleresearchers are exempt. (and it's also only in the states ;] )

I know of the telemarketers, not to sure about the other, phone company here told us all except for ones that you are doing business with and if not a complaint is then reported which in turn the are fined, we never went that far.  In the beginning we had calls coming out of our ears  Tongue .  Now, it's peace and quiet  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

correctionowife
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2006 10:54:15 PM »

I got one just last week. You want to know how to get it to stop... just ask them to send you money in form of a cashier's check or money order. Hey, couldn't hurt to try. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarah-

Feeling the need to crochet...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2006 03:56:31 AM »

I noticed a few of these but just deleted it. I have noticed I have been getting a lot more of them by email too.

In the UK we have the Telephone Preference Service and Fax Preference Service to get rid of the marketing and research calls. But occasionally people seem to get our number but if we say we are on TPS they hang up - because they could get themselves in trouble ! hehe.
I wonder if you get such a thing on email....hmmmm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarah -

http://www.wists.com/sarah-
teamo.etsy.com - Miniature bears now available!

I'd love to do a personal swap! - PM me!
Audiz

"Autism Awareness"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2006 05:41:35 PM »

I got one just last week. You want to know how to get it to stop... just ask them to send you money in form of a cashier's check or money order. Hey, couldn't hurt to try. Wink

Cheesy that would be great if they could sent the money, I could go for some about now  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

holden_267
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2006 04:52:03 AM »

Oh, I get them all the time in my e-mails. I just report them.  The lastest ones I've been getting are some soldiers in Iraq found a large amount of money US currancy and want to hide it for safe keeping and promising to split, LOL!!! Yeah right.  Now that is screaming spam/scam.

Im new to this
THIS ROCKS   Logged
princesakati
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2006 07:40:30 AM »

actually, NO!  a guy in my town went down on felony fraud charges because he sent some woman he met on the internet cash in exchange for money orders -- somehow he didn't notice they all had the same serial # and he tried to cash them.  poor shlub.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You've gotta sing louder if you want to stop war! -- Arlo Guthrie
jojo9

meet my charming friend, the monkey gentleman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2006 07:07:24 AM »

I read something in the paper about the do not call/ tele preference service- with cheap international calls, companies are simply moving to countries where there is no code of conduct and since there's no international agreement, there's nothing the various national registries or bodies can do.  actually I've noticed a big increase in spam lately, to 'public' email addresses and to ones that I never give out.  Wonder if it's just coincidence.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Jump to page:
  Print  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Olympics-Bound Swimmers Share Their Wildest Hair Tips
How to Get an Aviator Hairstyle
Hair How To: The Modern Quiff
A Hassle-Free Routine For Getting Rid of Split Ends
3 Summer Hairstyles To Beat The Heat
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...