A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,468
Currently Running With Scissors:
441 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "random fragmentation" a.k.a my teeny sketchbook/art journal thingie  (Read 14874 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aliastriona_angerboda
Pirate Queen, Insane Woman, Complete Nerd

View Profile WWW
« on: August 02, 2006 11:33:49 PM »

My first thought upon reading about this challenge was...art journal.
I dunno why.

So that's what I did:

Well, tried to do, anyway.

The pages are a piece of sketchbook paper chopped up teeny, the cover is a teeny piece of my hand-painted fabric, and I did a teeny drawing or painting on each and every page.

Technical-ish photos to show size:

(grr, it's been shrunken and distorted)

At it's widest - fully opened - it stays within the 2 inch limit.

Wanna see all the pages? 
(It's a clickable thumbnail that you'll need to zoom in on when you get to it's page.)

There's no rhyme or reason, point or purpose to any of the pages, really.  I just put down whatever happened to be on my mind at the moment...and I was heavily sleep-deprived all throughout June, so be warned.

Sometimes it's an answer to a conversation I was having, sometimes it's a reference to some of my favorite things, sometimes it's a visual representation of my dearest held wish to sleep.

It's random.  And broken.  Welcome to my brain in miniature...

...scared yet?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006 07:30:00 AM by aliastriona_angerboda » THIS ROCKS   Logged

RamenQueen
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006 12:01:43 AM »

I love it~~ I' gonna make a slightly larger size one for all the rando quotes my friends and I tend to say and then become etched into everyone memory....like the time i said " I can't help it I'm a Short Sh*T" .....It wound up on 2 myspaces and a half a dozen facebook walls .!! LOVE YOUR IDEA!! Hope you dont mind if I steal it a bit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RecycleMicol
Phasing out my swaps for now. I'll swap again later!

Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do or do without!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006 08:06:59 AM »

Nice artwork inside! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For my Free Knitting Pattern for Hand Springs Fingerless Mitts:

View My Craft Blog

I'm finally on RAVELRY!  User ID RecycleMicol
vtgirl
"Impossible sir, it's in Johnson's underwear."

Loves flow charts.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006 08:12:41 AM »

That is some serious art book.

My book arts professor would love that and I give you an A+!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're referring to the incident with the dragon, I was barely involved." ~ Gandalf

Twitter = sicavt
nihiliststar
Meow?

aliastriona steals souls with her camera...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006 02:53:20 PM »

I really like it, dearie.  You are a very talented person and that fact shines through the haze of your lack of sleep.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many things fail to interest us, simply because they don't find in us enough surfaces on which to live, and what we have to do then is to increase the number of planes in our mind, so that a much larger number of themes can find a place in it at the same time.
~ Ortega Y Gasset ~
Dorkariffic
Kind of a hippy.

Hufflepuff Seeker - Dork Extrordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006 07:38:17 PM »

I love those pages!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LOOKING FOR A PERSONAL SWAP: I'm hoping for dinosaur-themed Xmas crackers, or other dinosaur Xmas items. I can make a Jayne Cobb hat, or many other things!

"Before we begin, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you."

Wists & LJ links in pro
down with maureen
With whom?

Idiot; slow down.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006 10:04:53 PM »

Amazing! I'm clicking "this rocks."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey, hey; the Devil may.
aliastriona_angerboda

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006 10:16:35 PM »

Wow...I got awesome comments...

As far as the challenge goes it doesn't really stand up to some of the others, but I like it.  And it came out how I pictured it, which is always a pleasant surprise.

Thanks muchly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TwiztidBlood
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006 10:37:27 AM »

wow, thats really creative
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just moved to a new loft, please contact me for my new mailing address!
My Wist
SidekickFancy
...and then there was Fancy...

Funny how it feels when there's nothing to say...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006 02:13:56 PM »

I love all the pages Smiley That's great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happiness can be found in the darkest of times...if one only remembers to turn on the lights.

You can lead a heart to love, but you can't make it fall.

http://www.wists.com/thegyrlwholived
Cruisin Status
Eat, Sleep, Breathe Art

Cruisin Status

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006 02:29:23 AM »

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book... This has my vote!!! I adore this book...did I mention that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Memory, prophecy and fantasy- the past, the future and the dreaming moment between- are all one country, living one immortal day. To know that is Wisdom. To use it is the Art." ~ Clive Barker
nihiliststar
Meow?

aliastriona steals souls with her camera...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006 09:24:35 AM »

One of the more wonderful perks of being aliastriona's best friend is that I am often  the receiver of items she created to post on here. 

I'm so loved.   Cheesy

I wanted to mention that as awesome as the journal looks on here, it is 100 times more awesome in person.  The binding is very well done - something that one might not be able to see from the photos - not an easy trick, especially when binding something so teeny...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many things fail to interest us, simply because they don't find in us enough surfaces on which to live, and what we have to do then is to increase the number of planes in our mind, so that a much larger number of themes can find a place in it at the same time.
~ Ortega Y Gasset ~
dragonslair
Crafting another baby...... Due Jan. 6th, 2011

Goth and loving it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006 12:22:09 PM »

Very very teeny.  Tongue Absolutely adore it.  I just want to know since I am your sister and have been to the house like a dozen + times in June how come I've never seen it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WILL SWAP for CLOTH diapers.........

MY LJ
http://crochet-crazy.livejournal.com

My wists
www.wists.com/dragonslair
PiercedChicken
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006 09:34:37 PM »

I love this! You've most deff inspired me. I've never done book binding before. Would you mid posting a minii tut or explaining how? (espesically it being so small)  I was thinking of making one that I could wear around my neck. Like a little book of me, however I'm not sure what will happen when I take a shower.

Any suggestions? Maybe polymer clay pages on small rings? Grrrrrr.

Anyway. Beautiful again and Thank you for being my muse tonight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006 08:31:29 AM »

Great mini-book, aliastriona!!  Love being able to see all the tiny pages in more detail too; that was a good idea. 
Doing those must have been fun... did you have to use any special brushes or other tools or eyeglasses to work really small?

minii tut or explaining how? (espesically it being so small)  I was thinking of making one that I could wear around my neck. Like a little book of me, however I'm not sure what will happen when I take a shower. Any suggestions? Maybe polymer clay pages on small rings? Grrrrrr.

I can't quite tell how aliastriona bound her pages underneath the cover, but polymer clayers definitely make mini-books (as pendants, etc.) and they use various ways to bind the pages and covers together.  If you'd like to see some of those and get a few lessons that could give you ideas, check this page at my site:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/books.htm

(and p.s., if you use polymer clay and all other materials are also waterproof, there's no reason you'd have to take the mini-book off to shower)

Have fun!

(oh, and if you do ever make a mini-book from polymer clay, we'd love to see it over at the new polymer clay boards:
http://tinyurl.com/6fu2u  &  http://tinyurl.com/pmztt )

Diane B.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2008 02:04:28 PM by batgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
PiercedChicken
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2006 08:50:47 AM »

Great mini-book, aliastriona!!  Love being able to see all the tiny pages in more detail too; that was a good idea. 
Doing those must have been fun... did you have to use any special brushes or other tools or eyeglasses to work really small?

minii tut or explaining how? (espesically it being so small)  I was thinking of making one that I could wear around my neck. Like a little book of me, however I'm not sure what will happen when I take a shower. Any suggestions? Maybe polymer clay pages on small rings? Grrrrrr.

I can't quite tell how aliastriona bound her pages underneath the cover, but polymer clayers definitely make mini-books (as pendants, etc.) and they use various ways to bind the pages and covers together.  If you'd like to see some of those and get a few lessons that could give you ideas, check this page at my site:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/books.htm

(and p.s., if you use polymer clay and all other materials are also waterproof, there's no reason you'd have to take the mini-book off to shower)

Have fun!

(oh, and if you do ever make a mini-book from polymer clay, we'd love to see it over at the new polymer clay boards:
http://tinyurl.com/6fu2u  &  http://tinyurl.com/pmztt )

Diane B.
GlassAttic....polymer clay encyclopedia

Ah wonderful thank you! I should have went and looked right there in the first place!

I'm going to read up and bit and then give it a try. I'm intrigued by this idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliastriona_angerboda

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2006 09:55:08 AM »

Wow, a whole conversation going on while I'm gone...I love the polymer clay idea!

I just kinda made up the binding as I went along, actually.  It's a weird amalgamation of ideas and techniques that I've seen other people do (I want to try coptic stitch but I figure I'm better off learning a new technique on something significantly easier to handle, size-wise).

I like working with little stuff (tiny paintbrushes, really thin knitting needles...I'm a sucker for punishment Cheesy) so the only special tool I had to pick up for this was a permanent pen that could write that small...I have a fine-point Sharpie collection but the ink tends to bleed, oblitering 'e's and such in the process.

Thanks for the compliments everyone Grin  And I don't think I've ever been called a muse before...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2006 11:17:16 AM »

Glad to hear some of you might be trying out a polymer mini-book or two... can't wait to see the results!

Btw, I just reorganized that page a bit (and removed some of the dead links  Angry Cry ... too bad, many of them were really good) so you might want to check it again...

Diane B.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2008 02:03:58 PM by batgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
PiercedChicken
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2006 08:45:15 AM »

Wow, a whole conversation going on while I'm gone...I love the polymer clay idea!

I just kinda made up the binding as I went along, actually.  It's a weird amalgamation of ideas and techniques that I've seen other people do (I want to try coptic stitch but I figure I'm better off learning a new technique on something significantly easier to handle, size-wise).

I like working with little stuff (tiny paintbrushes, really thin knitting needles...I'm a sucker for punishment Cheesy) so the only special tool I had to pick up for this was a permanent pen that could write that small...I have a fine-point Sharpie collection but the ink tends to bleed, oblitering 'e's and such in the process.

Thanks for the compliments everyone Grin  And I don't think I've ever been called a muse before...

Haha. Than you'd like the job as a write on rice-er. For an entire summer I earned my money by writing someones name or NAMES on tiny pieces of rice and putting them in bottles for them to wear. Its a popular thing is some new jersey tourist towns.

Thats the smallest writing i've ever done.f
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PiercedChicken
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2006 08:46:32 AM »

Diane B.

Thank you for refreshing the page. Some of the links have already proved helpful.

[/quote]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smelsmin
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2006 12:36:13 AM »

Oh wow, I absolutely love this! The little drawings are great and wow, it would have been very fiddly to do. I commend you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Carolina Herrera - NYFW Spring 2014 - Interviews, Backstage & Runway
Cynthia Alvarez: DIY New York Fashion Week 2014 Hairstyles
Bobbi Brown Launching Makeup Tutorials
DKNY - NYFW Spring 2014 - Interviews, Backstage & Runway
Beauty Looks at Herve Leger NYFW Show
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...