A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
359 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: (Novice) Baby/Toddler Kiddo Sweater Knitalong anyone?  (Read 1763 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KnittenChicken
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006 05:35:40 PM »

Our useful baby item was cute hats!  Not enough cute little hats for newborns, and they need their little heads covered.

Cute sweater! I have about a hundred WIPs for my kids right now, or I'd join!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
psmommy
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006 08:31:44 AM »

Well, the lady who was going to be helping me with the neckline was not really that much help at all, so, after much contemplation, I've decided to do the sweater as is and give it to my son's half sister for Christmas instead.

I went to four different craft stores this weekend (Veteran's day sales  Grin), and was unable to find the recommended yarn.  Not wanting to add more stores on to the list, I decided to substitute the recommended yarn with Bernat Baby Lash in Girly.

So far, I've only just cast on the back of the sweater (ran out of time running to all those stores  Wink).  I'm hoping to be able to at least knit up to the armpit markers tonight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
karls_mommy
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006 03:03:56 PM »

Cool!  I am actually done with the back now, and almost up to the neckline shaping on the front.  I am WAY nervous that I won't have enough yarn now.  The back took one whole skein.  Sad

Of course now that I'm seeing a bigger picture, I'm thinking it looks girly too, but you know, I started it, so I may as well follow through!  And if DS likes it, he can wear it.  We're pretty okay with him expressing himself, even if he plays dress up as a Princess (which he loves to do).  I think the only place I won't let him wear it is school - just in case.  Don't need someone teasing him at school. Kids can be cruel...

I think that's a nice idea to make it for your son's half sister. Very sweet!  And good for you on hitting the sales!  I don't seem to find outstanding sales here for yarn and crafty stuff. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

karls_mommy
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006 04:25:56 AM »

Okay, I have calmed down a bit now, and feel I should tell you all I gave up on this.  I had it finished but for the neck, and had my shortage of yarn worked out.  My son tried it on and it looked like he was wearing a technicolor version of the TinMan's top half on.  The arms were wide, the body was wide.  He actually started to cry.  So it was thrown into a bag after much cursing in English and German, with threats of being frogged for a scarf when I can stand to look at it again.

Note to self, make all future sweaters for DS using width for 2T and length for 4T.

**grumble grumble**
THIS ROCKS   Logged

psmommy
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006 10:38:11 AM »

Oh, Boy!  karls_mommy I'm so sorry to hear that  Cry.  I know how frustrating it is to spend all that time on something and have it not work out.  I just completely frogged a sock monkey hat I was making for my nephew for Christmas after realizing it would barely fit on the cat much less a 20lb 4 month old!!  Of course, I had to just about finish it before coming to this conclusion (denial - I know thee well.  Cheesy)

As far as the sweater goes, I've only gotten about 6 inches of the back done so far  Embarrassed.  My skein of yarn ran out and I've been too lazy to attach a new one. Plus I have so much stuff going on right now with the Holidays.

Ah, I will be done by Christmas...I will be done by Christmas...I will be done by Christmas.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
karls_mommy
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006 11:33:30 AM »

psmommy, thank you for sharing my pain!

I would love to see yours when you finish.  Maybe at some point I'll try this again, but right now I seriously can't even look at it.

I have moved on to a shrug for myself and a hooded scarf for my mother.  Nice and safe...in theory!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

psmommy
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2006 01:01:05 PM »

Well, I thought I'd better post an update. 

I didn't get the sweater finished for Christmas.  I only got as far as the back and about half of the front. I was thinking that I would finish it up and give it to her after Christmas, but after spending a couple hours with her I realized she is just not a nice little girl.  Tongue So, I am no longer motivated. I'll probably just frog it and make something for myself.  Roll Eyes

I have a basic kids sweater pattern around here somewhere. I'll have to dig it up, and make a sweater for my son instead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Corn Maque Choux
Apple and Ham Eggs Benedict Recipe
The Missing Black Chefs
How to Make Authentic Texas BBQ
Fantastic Gluten Free Corn Hot Cakes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...