A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 303,142
Currently Running With Scissors:
463 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 25
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Coffee Tins, Glass Jars, Plastic Containers  (Read 88705 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #150 on: April 22, 2006 11:51:52 AM »

For the glass jars, you can rip up strips of tissue paper and kind of decoupage them with glue for candle holders. You can use certain colors for themes or whatever...they cast a cool light when they burn!
« Reply #151 on: May 14, 2006 11:48:43 AM »

I saw this in a magazine and loved it.  I made it about a year ago, with plans to make another, but moved on to another crafty project.

Ignore the dead plants.  I have a black thumb Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: January 13, 2010 08:37:07 AM by rackycoo - Reason: attempted to fix images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
« Reply #152 on: June 07, 2006 09:10:39 AM »

One of my favorite things to do with glass or tins is cover in polymer clay.  After doing this, it is no longer food safe.

I am up for one on one swapping!
Tutorial Contributor

Just a jersey girl without the acid wash.

"I believe you are in league with the butcher..."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: July 02, 2006 07:46:42 AM »

My neighbor makes birdhouses out of coffee tins and scrap wood. You just make the simple bird house roof Looks like an upside down "V". Then make a square that fits the coffee can inside. Make sure it's snug. Then add a front to the birdhouse with a hole drilled into it.

The birds around here really like them.

Just got flaked on for personal swaps so I am taking a break. ^_^; sorry everyone.
my shop: http://poisonandantidote.etsy.com/
eBay ID: rusty_buttons
My DA: http://chat-noir.deviantart.com/
My LJ: http://apatheticpoison.livejournal.com/
My wists: http://www.wists.com/iampoison
« Reply #154 on: July 10, 2006 04:15:22 PM »

Take a coffee tin and punch holes in the sides as a design. Then put it over a cande on a patio. Smiley

Chicka bow wow.

hee hee.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #155 on: July 13, 2006 02:13:40 PM »

I have a way cool jar that came out of my great grandparent's house. I've had it for years, but I couldn't bear to get rid of it so it floated around for awhile.

Then I moved into an apartment with a (inside) door that wouldn't stay open.

I wandered around a bit and inspiration hit!!

I dumped in my marbles, sealed it up, and voila! instant door stop! It looks very vintage 1930's (the jar is, the marbles not) and now I never lose my marbles.

I like making stuff. Rumor has it, I'm an elf. Like a Santa Elf, not one of those elegant LOTR types.  Mostly because I compulsively craft and partially because I have green shoes.

I'll try it once

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 31, 2006 11:30:10 AM »

Here's a hanging planter, I made from a large coffee tin and some old jewelry...

You don't have to get it right the first time, just the last time.
Hollow Shel
« Reply #157 on: August 23, 2006 12:59:12 AM »

another tall-can suggestion or two:
rocketships and towers and castles oh my!

Put a cone-shaped nose that just fits the lid of the can on the top, and two or three 'fins' (cut from cardboard or craft foam) onto the base and you've got the old pulp sci fi rocketship shape (this would work with the funky shaped cans as well (if not better!) than the perfectly round Pringles cans) I've never done it but I've seen it done in older craft magazines - not sure if I still have the mags though Sad

A similar approach with different results is to paint or paper the sides of the can (a faux stonework if you're feeling ambitious, or even just a solid color to cover the label) Then make a bigger cone than for a spaceship, one that overhangs the edge of the top of the can for a 'roof' and you've got a quick and cute 'medieval tower' effect. You can stick a toothpick with trangular flag into the point of the cone for a little extra flair. (variants include doing a 'crennelated wall' effect (the sort of squared off zig-zag brick effect on some castle walls) around the top rather than a cone roof. I'd use craft foam for it, personally. You could even do a "rapunzel" if you can find a doll small enough to be in scale - just have to find some way to give her hair about three or four times her body length... Wink )

if you're really fond of the tower idea and are feeling ambitious you can get four cans or more cans, another box or some cardboard, and make a full castle. cut into the box on the corners and fit the tubes into the notches, paper it all over with an appropriate wallpaper or paper mache to hold it together (paint it if you do the paper mache of course). The only limit is your time and budget!

Elsewhere there's instructions in making oatmeal cannisters into animals - you could always do that in miniature with the short pringle cans, or do a  dachsund (sp?) with the full sized one. Or a caterpillar - there's lots of possibilities.

Oh, and I can't believe I haven't seen a suggestion for coin banks for anything with a plastic lid. cut a slit just a little longer than the largest coin of your currency (here in Canada, I used a toonie) and about 3 mm or 1/8th of an inch wide in the lid, centering it on the little dimple they all seem to have from the manufacturing process. This can be coupled with the tower or rocketship design to make a good bank for a child's room. (if you hate the noisy clank of coins falling into an empty bank, (I do - that first coin always sounds so lonely!) cut a circle of felt or craft foam to cushion the inside bottom of the tube)

I've also lined the shorter pringle cans - I rough cut a chunk of fabric big enough to go up one side, across the bottom and down the other side, with extra to make the process easier. Then I centered it on the bottom of a glass that fits LOOSELY into the can, (think "will a gluegun nozzle fit in all around?" and if the answer's yes, it's the right size) evened out the folds a little, and popped the pringles can over top. this holds everything more-or-less in place while I flipped the arrangement over and went around the edge between the can and the fabric with a glue gun to tack everything into place. the edge wasn't perfect the first time (I should've gone around a second time without the glass and stuck ribbon on the inside) but the overall effect was pretty neat I thought.

sorry for yammering so much - hope the suggestions are useful!

I am not obsessive compulsive, I am not obsessive compulsive, I am not obsessive compulsive...

Bringing sexy back for a refund. It really just wasn't "me".

I'll try it once

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 29, 2006 07:07:16 AM »

I took a rectangular block of wood and nailed four coffee cans to it..two on each side...to make a four can,,tool caddy...I painted it and put a handle of rope on it.....it comes in handy for my  scissors, glass cutter, small screwdriver,,anything about that size...if I had my camera working, I could show you... Cry

You don't have to get it right the first time, just the last time.
« Reply #159 on: August 29, 2006 07:35:07 AM »

EveH--LOVE the planter!!!! I think I am going to make one of those, and I thought that (using the same idea...) you could make letter holders, indoor flower arrangement holders, magazine holders to hang in the bathroom (if you have a tiny bathroom like I do it's would be great!)

Hollow shel-- great ideas!  I think maybe my kids would like making thier own banks this way!  Good project for the long Buffalo winters... (not that you could relate in Canada or anything... LOL)

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted..."
              --Mae West
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 25 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Gorgeous Updo for Curly Hair
How to Do This Christmas Day Hairstyle
How To Get Temporary Rainbow Hair
5 Holiday Hairstyles You Must Try Now
How To Recreate Gorgeous Celebrity Hairstyles At Home
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator
Beware! Black Cats!
Meatless Monday: Pickled Peppers

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...