A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,126
Currently Running With Scissors:
483 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Coffee Tins, Glass Jars, Plastic Containers  (Read 81898 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2004 08:41:28 PM »

that's such a great idea! you could decorate the jar with paint or little pictures so the light would glow thru them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jamby
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2004 08:41:46 AM »

This is not for everybody- you have to have a certain esthetic and sense of humour.
cheap decorating idea and great gift for people that have everything- use old glass jars to create your own laboratory look!
take old glass jars and one old barbie (or buck store equivalent). take the barbie apart, put one complete barbie per jar. fill with water, and add pretty food coloring. put lid on. glue gun a piece of feather boa to lid, and voila! barbie inna jar!
if you're on a budget, these can look fabulous lined up in a window, all different colours.

Wait--This is brilliant!  Think of the possibilities.  If you don't want to do Barbie, I'm sure there's other stuff you can do to match any personality....  Plastic frogs, dinosaurs, bouncy balls with eyes drawn on.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenthezero
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2004 05:10:04 PM »

I'm planning on using all my saved-up coffee cans to make lanterns for the back yard.  I'm going to paint the coffee cans, punch holes in them (just random holes, with a hammer and a nail), string lights on a tree, and cover the lights with the cans.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My middle name is Martha!
seeshells

...a Picasso or a Garfunkel...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2004 06:39:12 PM »

You can do a cool kid project with the big coffee tins, though I think we used juice cans. You can make stilts. My son made these with his grandfather a couple years ago, it was a nice project for them.
http://www.kidsdomain.com/craft/canstilts.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lara
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2004 12:35:24 AM »

i use baby food jars (or any other small jars will do) to store straight pins inside, i cut a fabric circle larger in diameter than the lid, then stuff it with wadding or cotton balls and stick it to the lid and put a ribbon or beads on the edges so it becomes a pin cushion, then i store the pins inside (this also makes a lovely gift).

a friend of mine sticks the lids under shelves and uses the jars to store stuff in them (in the kitchen she stores herbs, spices and in the garage she stores nails..etc.) this way you get extra storage without taking the shelf space.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
conclusion

still kisses with saliva

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2004 08:01:18 PM »

An idea for the plastic ice cream containers....I work in a preschool centre and I made a "tree" for the classroom.  You have to buy some quick- set cement (Home Depot) and hunt around outside after a storm to find a few branches that will look good together.  I think that branches with a lot of smaller stems coming off of them look the best.  Pour the cement into the container and stick the branches into the cement, holding them still for about five minutes (check what the cement package says).  
also with this idea you could spray paint the branches, white looks great with christmas lights, and you can paint, decoupage, etc. the can to look more like a flower pot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fitter, happier, more productive
naturbuf
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2004 04:54:53 AM »

For glass jars with lids you can decorate the lids not only with fabric like some have already suggested, but using polymer clay to create a design then baking it on. If you combine this with the glass etching that someone mentioned earlier it looks really nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them."
-A. A. Milne (Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh)
Kar-UH
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2004 07:52:40 PM »

one of my friends paints the inside of jars so you cant see what is inside and keeps secret stuff stashed inside them. I was thinking im going to elaborate on his idea and glue a black shillouette to the inside before painting them to let me know what is inside
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss_mom

Keeping my head above water .... barely!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2004 06:21:26 AM »

Start hoarding your coffee cans now - the big (3 lb.) size ones are already in danger - they are now being made plastic instead of metal. I'm collecting the smaller ones now, just in case!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  - Thomas Edison
clayaddict

I need a clay 12 step program

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2004 04:00:38 PM »

I got this old glass jar in a white elephant exchange at Xmas, and thought I'd cover it in clay and put kitchen utensils in it.

Also, a friend gave us a bottle of nice olive oil, and when it was done I covered it in clay. I don't know what I'll do with it, maybe give it away as a gift.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010 08:34:44 AM by rackycoo - Reason: attempted to fix images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Night Landscape Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Museum Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Macro/Close-up Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Landscape Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Kids/Pets Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...