A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,221
Currently Running With Scissors:
607 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 25
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Coffee Tins, Glass Jars, Plastic Containers  (Read 82061 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

susank
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2004 01:29:28 PM »

For the xmas lights, what I meant was to use the blue bottle/tube part as a cover, so the light shines out blue.  You could make a hole in the bottle lid, push the xmas light bulb through, then put the bottle lid on the bottle.  It's a variation on, say, the flower lights already posted on this site.
--susan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mexicomarti
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2004 03:45:39 PM »

Actually, the best thing to do with them is to send them all to me so I can make all those nifty ideas.  Organizer!  Beaded wish containers.!  How cool is that!  I WANT them!

Marti in Mexico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2004 06:56:00 AM »

this idea was posted several times in this thread, so i decided to try it.

behold the humble tin can lantern (larger than life, even!):

i filled the can with water, froze it, and used a hammer and nail for the holes.  then embellished it with wire and beads.  so easy.
sorry for it's hugeness-photobucket is cranky today and won't let me resize. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elephantfanatic

real girls shoot guns!

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2004 11:39:09 AM »

wow!!!!
Quote from: jamby  Posted on: February 20, 2004, 10:41:46 AM  
Quote from: bongoqueen on February 03, 2004, 12:40:18 PM
This is not for everybody- you have to have a certain esthetic and sense of humour.
cheap decorating idea and great gift for people that have everything- use old glass jars to create your own laboratory look!
take old glass jars and one old barbie (or buck store equivalent). take the barbie apart, put one complete barbie per jar. fill with water, and add pretty food coloring. put lid on. glue gun a piece of feather boa to lid, and voila! barbie inna jar!
if you're on a budget, these can look fabulous lined up in a window, all different colours.

Wait--This is brilliant!  Think of the possibilities.  If you don't want to do Barbie, I'm sure there's other stuff you can do to match any personality....  Plastic frogs, dinosaurs, bouncy balls with eyes drawn on.

this would be perfect for a halloween party!!!! wow!!!! me and my friend have one every year!! i'm totally doing this with all my little brother's plastic toys!!! thanks for the idea! Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"All Cinderellas have their midnight." Thomas S. Monson.
curlytop

Vote for Pedro!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2004 08:16:46 PM »

I've made a light mobile with prescription bottles once for an installation piece I did for school.  It looked pretty awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ellyloo
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2004 10:55:33 AM »

Lays makes chips like Pringles now, only their containers are PLASTIC.
They're just begging to have something done with them.

Pringles tubes are the BEST if you have pet rodents. Smiley
I had pet rats once, (don't knock it til you've tried it!!) and I hung the tubes from the bars of the top of the cage, and they had a little tubular hideout...I cut holes in them and they had a fun little play ground... and it's pretty harmless if they chew it up.(I think...you could always peel it)

I also made hammocks from old jeans legs and fleece scraps.
Having pets that have so much fun with things like rats( or I imagine ferrets do too )makes you just have so much fun keeping junk around and watching what they'll do with it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lauren
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2004 06:25:29 PM »

I made some tin can lanterns a while ago and only just now got a digital camera and enough time to post about them: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=6605.0
Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melmarie
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2004 10:41:26 AM »

Hey guys -

I found a great use for Starbuck's Frappucino bottles. My roommate and I recently bought a case of them and I just couldn't bear to throw the empty bottles away. Plus the drinks are so pricey (and addictive!)  that we might as well recycle the bottles into something useful and awesome.

The bottles have a great shape (like old-timey milk bottles) and the glass they're made from is quality.

I peeled the stickers off the bottles (they come off very easily) and ran a few through the dishwasher. This removed the ink stamps on the bottles.

I saved the caps for another project, and I covered each of the neck tops on the bottles (where the threads are to screw the lids on) with a patterned grosgrain ribbon. I dropped a tealight into each jar and VOILA! Easy, beautiful indoor or outdoor candles.

Some other uses I could think of are

1) Painting the bottles with colored transparent paint and repeating the tealight idea
2) Decorating the lids and using the bottles for storage
3) Covering the neck tops with wire and beads for tealights, storage, or vases

Any more?  :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meatyard

change into a nine year old hindu boy

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2004 06:02:06 PM »

if you were to fill the bottles with colored liquid and/or oil and water and somehow illuminate them from the bottom you would get a pretty light display.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and i don't have a drinking problem...
'cept when i can't get a drink
xxxkatxxx
« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2004 02:36:23 PM »

I have the BEST ideas for the tin coffee cans...
make ice cream in them and sit in fron of the computer and read ideas on what to do with the rest of them.
Also set out a bunch of the coffee tins and grab a bunch of wooden spoons. And you can play the drums. Then you can start a band!!1 SCORE!!!1
Ok I know I am not helping.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 25 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Jersey in Sewing Projects
How to Sew an Elastic Waistband
How to Sew an Overlock Stitch
How to Sew Corners
How to Sew a Topstitch
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...