A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 301,569
Currently Running With Scissors:
659 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Coffee Tins, Glass Jars, Plastic Containers  (Read 85095 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2004 12:49:17 PM »

For the empty General Foods International Coffee tins: Since they sometimes have the neat pictures on the outside and always come with a "lid", I've been using them for my desk supplies at work and home.  The ones which aren't pretty get the wrapping paper decopage treatment and they all get a label of what is inside.  I have one for my stamps with address stickers too, another for paper clips, a rubber band one (with colored rubber bands around it) and an open one with my note paper.  I also made a pen/pencil holder of a tin can to match...It's the perfect customized desk set!

P.S. You can also add a magnet to the side and hang iton your your metal filling cabinet.  
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004 04:51:28 PM by NynaeveAS » THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss_mom

Keeping my head above water .... barely!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2004 05:16:20 PM »

Ok, I'm way late to this party, but for the International coffee tins - paint them, decoupage them, cover them in fabric, whatever your preference, then attach magnets to them, and stick them on your fridge to hold pens, etc.

I also use the small cans (tomato sauce and paste) for planting ... punch 2-3 holes in the bottom, put some dirt in, and put some grass seed in - I use them for little centerpieces for Easter, or just when it gets to be this time of year and I need something to remind me that spring will eventually come ....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  - Thomas Edison
zts2000
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2004 07:22:17 AM »

Hi! I'm new here and when I saw your post I had to reply. I have taken jumbo coffee cans and turned them upside down. Then I decorate them, put a piece of deorative fabric on the top, and cording around the top and bottom rim. It makes a cool little pedestal for small things you want to show off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2004 10:58:43 AM »

The current issue of Martha Stewart Kids has a section on building tin-can robots.  They are so cute!

something alone these lines...

this is my favorite xmas decoration from when i was a kid. it's a santa claus made from a beer can (but you could use a soup can or any size can really). he can sit upright on the mantel. his body is crocheted or knitted, and his hat is removable. i guess you could put a different can inside if you wanted to. he's gotta be at least 25 years old. i think it would be neat to make one out of felted sweaters or even socks! you could have a sturdier sock monkey!

« Last Edit: March 02, 2005 12:28:59 PM by quarkiegirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Karla
LibraryNerd

Kitty of my life!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2004 11:03:56 AM »

I have used coffee tins for baking bread/cake around the holidays, and giving them out as gifts.  turns out great, and you can slice in cute circle shapes.  

THIS ROCKS   Logged
aspenwall
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2004 10:55:58 AM »

metamurph i love love love your icon.  Have any of you noticed around the world that Folgers isn't making the tin containers now?  They're plastic!  Oh the humanity!.  I use them all as storage...stacks and stacks of them.  Plastic...geeze!  So much for melting my wax in them
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aspenwall
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2004 11:00:07 AM »

Forgot to mention this in my last post... Since I can't use my new giant Folgers Plastic things to melt my wax in I'm doing it in the microwave in my leftover Soup At Hand (campbells) cups...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2004 04:57:46 PM »

On behalf of Folgers, sorry about the plastic change over.  It turns out to be cheaper to make and easier for recycling.  Also, the coffee stay fresher longer.  Smiley

On the bright side, the new contaniers work real good for a drip water system in the garden.  Take a nail and add a hole to the bottom of the container.  Place it by the plant and fill the coffee can with water.  Check it ever once in a while to make sure one hole will give enough water.  Refill as needed.  I also do this with my Tide containers.  (I also used plastic spray paint on them so they match my flowers.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss_mom

Keeping my head above water .... barely!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2004 02:17:03 PM »

For your glass jars - (mayo jars work really well for this) -  make a cool hostess gift with them. Paint the lids, or cover them w/fabric, etc. - then fill them with the dry ingredients for a recipe (I do an Apple Crisp one - see below) - make a hang tag w/the recipe, and give it to your hostess with a small bushel basket or decorated small brown handled bag filled w/enough apples to make the recipe. All they will need to supply is one stick of butter or margarine.

Apple Crisp

4 cups sliced apples (6-8 apples)
cup brown sugar
cup flour
cup oatmeal
teaspoon cinnamon
teaspoon nutmeg
1 stick butter or margarine, softened

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare an 8x8 or 9x9 glass pan w/butter or non-stick cooking spray. Peel and slice apples. Put in pan. Mix together all ingredients until butter or margarine pieces are no bigger than peas. Spread evenly on top of apples. Bake 50-60 minutes until topping is melted.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  - Thomas Edison
ishou
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2004 03:36:47 PM »

You could use the cans and jars to make decorative lights.
I went to see the musical "Cabarat" at a university, and they made cute cabaret-style lights by painting tin cans black, punching decorative designs in them with nails, and mounting them over electric lights.  You could probably use really small cans to cover outdoor Christmas lights and have some neat mood lighting.  The effect is great, since it produces all these little needle-points of light all over the place.  Very pretty.
The glass jars, as long as they're not too heavy, can be used as light covers.  Get one of those ceiling light kits usually for paper lanterns.  Punch a hole in the lid of a nice looking jar and run the cord through (punch a few more holes in the lid so the jar doesn't get too hot). String up the cord securly, (you might want to test the strength of the cord first!) screw in a lightbulb of fairly low wattage, and then screw on your jar.  
I've been wanting to make one of these myself...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love me some microfiche and felty things.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Shiny Hair and Anti Aging Treatment
Summer Hair Styling Tips for Curly Hair
How to Blow Dry Your Hair for Volume
Nutritious Food for Fabulous Hair
How to Get Loose Curls with a Flat Iron
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...