A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,310
Currently Running With Scissors:
696 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Coffee Tins, Glass Jars, Plastic Containers  (Read 87458 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ashleystreet
« Reply #190 on: April 19, 2007 09:11:38 AM »

I eat about three quarts of yogurt a week and my city doesn't recycle the containers, so I have more and more quart-sized plastic containers piling up all the time.  Any ideas for what I could do with them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LOaccidentallyVE
I'm the lost one.

I HATE Valentine's Day!!!

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 11, 2007 01:03:19 AM »

An idea for the plastic ice cream containers....I work in a preschool centre and I made a "tree" for the classroom.  You have to buy some quick- set cement (Home Depot) and hunt around outside after a storm to find a few branches that will look good together.  I think that branches with a lot of smaller stems coming off of them look the best.  Pour the cement into the container and stick the branches into the cement, holding them still for about five minutes (check what the cement package says).  After the branches are set, you can decorate your "tree" with white christmas lights and whatever else you come up with (strung pine cones, ribbons, etc.)  You can fill in the bottom with stones or wood chips if you don't wish to see the cement.  It really looks nice when the lights are dim.  I'm thinking about making one for my apartment too because I'm so impressed with it.   Wink  

That's a great idea! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~*Stormy*~*

I'm just a girl.

My name is Crash. Don't make me prove it! Wink

I'm a Craftster Goddess!! Cheesy
anwylaeth
Lady of the Lens

Gradatim ferociter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: July 09, 2007 09:23:20 PM »

I don't know if something like this has been mentioned, but when I've accumulated a bunch of those amber prescription bottles, I put aquarium gravel in the very bottom, followed by a layer of soil, up to 3/4 or so, then put several flower seeds in a tiny plastic bag (or wrap in a bit of plastic wrap) and place that little bundle inside and put on the lid.  Then I put on a label that's done like a faux prescription label, informing the recipient that this is an Rx for "the winter blahs" and prescribing to take with "appropriate levels of sun and water".  These make nice little late winter gifts for the mail person, trash carrier, favorite store clerks, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Al tefachdu lomar et ha'emet shelachem
Don't be afraid to tell your truth.

Have we got some internal sequin issues, Benjamin?
LOaccidentallyVE
I'm the lost one.

I HATE Valentine's Day!!!

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 11, 2007 09:56:13 PM »

I have a ton of glass Starbucks Frappucino bottles that I'm painting designs on and using them as vases for flowers. A painted vase made with a glass bottle makes a great last-minute gift. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~*Stormy*~*

I'm just a girl.

My name is Crash. Don't make me prove it! Wink

I'm a Craftster Goddess!! Cheesy
LiliDesign
Little Miss Magpie

www.lilidesigns.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: July 24, 2007 10:57:55 AM »

I was thinking you could fill a jar with candle wax and put a wick in to make them into candle-in-a-jars....would this work?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The website's up and running, and the shop will be ready soon ~ www.lilidesigns.co.uk ~ Unique Handmade Jewellery Designs
Candreya
« Reply #195 on: July 29, 2007 04:37:35 PM »

I'm not sure if this has been said or not, but I think on this site, in another post in another part of this site, someone mentioned you can use the pill bottles to hold small craft supplies. Also, if you know someone, or your into smelting, you can probably use the metal stuff for metal working. Hubby's going to get into smelting, so thought I'd pass the tip on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
M222Brynn
« Reply #196 on: October 09, 2007 05:01:52 AM »

I can't believe I signed up for this site a year ago and I am just now getting back to it. 

I have a question about making the tin coffee cans into lanterns.  Does anyone have a place with good designs for punching the holes in the side.  I think I want to do a set for Halloween and then one for Christmas.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can resist everything except temptation.
-- Oscar Wilde
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #197 on: October 09, 2007 09:42:20 AM »

Don't know about designs,but another poster here suggested filling them with water and freezing them first.It held the cans steady,maybe kept them from denting in at more than the punch?
How about using a dot to dot book for patterns?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
Jlry-Lv-R
« Reply #198 on: October 31, 2007 03:56:45 PM »

Baby Food jars

I found an old stand up sewing box at the thrift store ($5.00) you know the really old ones that open like a book and had 3-4 shelves. The top shelf had little wood dowels for holding thread and the back insides were padded for sticking needles in.

I took a bunch of baby food jars and I screwed baby jar lids in a row onto the bottom of the shelves on the side that did not have the wood  dowels.
I then filled the jars with my beads, and screwed them into the lids, put the bead thread on the dowels and of course my different beading and leather needles in the padded area. When you closed it the jars fit nicely above the wood dowels and the box closed perfectly

Wallah homemade bead box!

I was able to move it easily around my house and to go do classes (give) with a good supply and it was easy to open and view. It does weigh about 30 pounds but that is a manageable weight for me even to lift onto a table.

I had such success with the concept that I had my husband build me some wood shelves over my work bench and I did the same thing I use them for all sorts of working material. 

Plastic Crates
I then took old milk crates (No. I didn't steal the milk crates I bought them for a dollar a piece at an auction!) the full size ones and painted them then I tie wrapped them together and made myself two rows of shelves
The  bead boxes I have fit nicely two side by side and 4 high in these shelves.  I stacked the crates 5 high and tie wrapped both sides together for extra strength. One shelf holds forty bead boxes! Each box has 16 individual squares that are 2" X 2" so thats a lot of space.
Because the crates have a thick wall I was able to label each "bin" so that I could organize my materials
Also because there are holes in them I bought some bungee cords at the dollar store and was able to make hanging loops for items I need to hang like leather strap etc.

Coffee Cans
In the shop where I keep my lapidary supplies I have a ton of small coffee cans they fit nicely in large flat plastic trays that I got at the dollar store, like rectangle drink serving trays. I keep all the rock that  I collect separated in the cans. labeled and then in rows on the trays when I want to add to the cans or take rocks out to tumble or work I just slide the tray out from underneath the bench.

Another good use for coffee cans. My mother makes a special pumpkin spice bread every year for Christmas, tons of loaves of bread she uses small coffee cans she saves throughout the year and makes the bread in them. They come out with a neat ring design and she wraps them like large pieces of candy. They slice nicely into nice round slices to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #199 on: November 04, 2007 08:09:47 PM »

The coffee tins can be punched and used as lanterns. You would fill them with water, and freeze it. Then take an awl or nail and a hammer and make a design. then add a tea light and presto you have cute luminaries for your porch or driveway. The is especially cool for Halloween and Christmas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jon Kolko on How Design Thinking Problem Solving Can Improve
Jon Kolko on Finding Purpose in Humanitarian Focused Design
How to Apply Design Passion in Business Career
Jon Kolko on How Culture Impacts Design Problem Solving
Why Choose SCAD to Study Industrial Design
Latest Blog Articles
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding
Spotlight on: Smoothies with Recipe Goodness

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...