A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,129
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Coffee Tins, Glass Jars, Plastic Containers  (Read 84405 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lanfear32
« Reply #160 on: August 29, 2006 07:58:54 AM »

You can do a cool kid project with the big coffee tins, though I think we used juice cans. You can make stilts. My son made these with his grandfather a couple years ago, it was a nice project for them.

OMG!!!  I forgot all about these!!!!  I used to watch "Romper Room" as a kid, and my aunt made me stilts out of cans so I could pretend to be on the show...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted..."
              --Mae West
eveH

I'll try it once

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 29, 2006 07:59:09 AM »

I forgot to mention that I flattened it slightly to make it hang against the door better..but you wouldn't have to do that....

I also made one using the really large food container cans,,,,,restaurant type...and sprayed it with brown primer...it looked so good like that, I left it that color of brown,,it looks rusty.....I filled it with water,,froze it,,,and then took a nail and made a design...poured out the water when it melted and added a large candle...it looks really pretty when it is lit...I added some fancy wire trim on the top and sides.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You don't have to get it right the first time, just the last time.
lanfear32
« Reply #162 on: August 29, 2006 08:04:11 AM »

An idea for the plastic ice cream containers....I work in a preschool centre and I made a "tree" for the classroom.  You have to buy some quick- set cement (Home Depot) and hunt around outside after a storm to find a few branches that will look good together.  I think that branches with a lot of smaller stems coming off of them look the best.  Pour the cement into the container and stick the branches into the cement, holding them still for about five minutes (check what the cement package says).  
also with this idea you could spray paint the branches, white looks great with christmas lights, and you can paint, decoupage, etc. the can to look more like a flower pot.

This would make a AWESOME Halloween decoration...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted..."
              --Mae West
Hollow Shel
« Reply #163 on: August 31, 2006 05:08:53 PM »

Hollow shel-- great ideas!  I think maybe my kids would like making thier own banks this way!  Good project for the long Buffalo winters... (not that you could relate in Canada or anything... LOL)
Hehe! I'm actually only about two hours (or less) from buffalo I think! (depends on the weather and the border guard's moods Wink ) so we probably get very similar winters. (I'm from further north so the 'mild' cold and high humidity actually kills me much worse than colder and dry weather.) Still - always a good time to stay home and craft Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am not obsessive compulsive, I am not obsessive compulsive, I am not obsessive compulsive...

Bringing sexy back for a refund. It really just wasn't "me".
Kaos
A random assortment of artistic delicacies.

Photo editors are dangerous...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #164 on: August 31, 2006 05:16:09 PM »

I've made 7 candles out of the glass jars.

Be careful with that. My dad made candles in little glass containers and one of them exploded while it was burning! Make sure the top is open enough so the heat doesn't get rapped and make it go splody!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dogperson
« Reply #165 on: September 11, 2006 03:15:00 PM »

amber bottles (beer and otherwise)...perfect for plants!  i cut off my pothos when he gets unruly and transplant his kids into jars full of water.  this old lady im friends with says amber is better than clear, but im not totally convinced that there's a difference.  anyway, great for phylodendrons (sp?) and other sneaky plants.  i also steal bits of these training plants from other people (work).  they make great gifts! 

babyfood jars!  now theres an opportunity!  however, i have no babies.  i learned in doggy obedience class that frozen baby food is a great high-value treat.  (my doggy prefers turkey and rice dinner) so there you go if you were looking for an excuse to have baby food jars.

tin cans - make a mobile-ish structure.  the loud noise keeps unwanted visitors out of your garden.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

people person?  no, i'm more of a dog person.
dogperson
« Reply #166 on: October 16, 2006 05:24:59 PM »

im interested in making little planters out of tin cans.  what kind of paint will stick?  what to use to decoupage?  mod podge?

and on a sort of unrelated note, what kind of paint is okay to use on terra cotta pots?  i dont want yucky chemicals seeping into my plants, but i also want them to be somewhat water-proof from rain and soaking up moisture when i water the plant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

people person?  no, i'm more of a dog person.
Jera
« Reply #167 on: October 20, 2006 10:34:58 AM »

Coffee tins- http://www.jewish-food.org/recipes/tincanic.htm

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Be to her virtues kind, Be to her flaws a little blind"
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #168 on: October 20, 2006 07:20:01 PM »

Take an empty jar-a peanut butter jar is nice, but really you can use anything. Put 2 rubber bands around it, 1 a little down from the top, 1 a little up from the bottom. Slip a twig under the rubber bands, Repeat till you've filled it in all the way around. Tie raffia or ribbon or something over the rubber bands to hide them.  A rustic-y vase! 
The big plastic containers sherbert comes in-when I have to bring something for a casual  get together-usually a big batch of fruit salad-I use one. Nice snap on lid helps it travel nicely, and if I forget to bring it back home, so what?
Glass bottles, well something I've seen but never done-a bottle tree. You tie them from branches. Anybody seen the movie Ray-they had a cool one in that. I think Jerry Baker did a book-Tough Plants for Southern Gardens- and towards the end he listed the bottle tree like a real plant-latin name, growing conditions, various cultivars, it was funny!
Little plastic pill bottles-could you soak off the labels, then make them into little people for a kid to play with? Glue a plain piece of paper around it, draw features and clothes with markers, mod podge or sealer it to protect? Heck, use fabric if your're feeling crazy creative, glue on yarn hair,or a pompom hat, or...maybe just keep it simple. As an added bonus, a lot of them would fit in a big coffee container, getting rid of one of those, too!
Someone's probably suggested this, but I put wrapping paper on them, and fill them with cookies for christmas. Nice when you want to give someone something, and are too broke to shop. And we all like treats.
If you have a clear jar with a nice shape, use it to hold cotton balls. Keep it in the bathroom , or by the nail polish. Decorate the lid to make it purdy. I'm really streching now, aren't I? Time to stop!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
shk
« Reply #169 on: November 12, 2006 02:36:45 AM »

I really like the candle-holder idea jamby mentioned; could be indoor as well! I've got hundreds of candles with no holders so this is super useful for me.

It's probably been mentioned before, but I use glass containers as little change holders. I put pennies in a big jar and larger coins in a smaller one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nudity & Anatomy: 18th-Century Statue Causes a Scandal
Time Lapse Chainsaw Dormouse Bench Carving
Hyper-Real Sculptures and More Arts Stories
Toad Sculpture Chainsaw Carving Time Lapse
Student Snaps 19th Century Statue While Snapping a Selfie
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...