A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
507 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Coffee Tins, Glass Jars, Plastic Containers  (Read 82731 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

prettynpink
« Reply #130 on: October 08, 2005 12:55:18 AM »

You could put your yarns, laces and threads in the cans that come with a lid so that not only can the yarn stay pristine, but also so it's weighted for when you want to do a tight knit and such. Just clean, label the container with color, weight, etc and poke a hole through the lid then viola! Plus it can keep your yarns and such organized.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I finally updated my profile info!
toomuchrock

Just another day in suburbia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: November 08, 2005 06:39:39 PM »

my grandmother always cooked banana nut bread inside of coffee tins... makes an excellent loaf, and keeps it very moist !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft, Therefor I Rock!

toomuchrock.etsy.com

MOOLA! It amazes me
Never heard of Moola? PM me or click the link for More details.
frankie loves chartex
« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2005 10:01:03 AM »

(Um, I am new, so please tell me if this isn't in the right place)    I have these big plastic yogurt containers that i was thinking of decopaging and making into flower pots.  Any ideas about the feasibility of that idea?  I.m not sure how well stuff will stick since the plastic isn't that thick and can change shape....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But I still will believe.
And I will rise up with fists!
And I will take what is mine, mine, mine.
There but for the grace of God go I.
                                   -Jenny Lewis
bodacious
« Reply #133 on: November 15, 2005 08:51:56 PM »

Way cool, I wanna try!  too bad we don't drink soda, but buddies do...  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
trixies mama
« Reply #134 on: November 18, 2005 04:09:35 PM »

I use coffee cans - any size - to hold Christmas cookies (in the big ones) and candies (in the small ones). I turn the can upside down, paint the face of a snowman, wrap the "top" with felt, gather the felt and tie it off at the top to resemble a stocking cap, a big crooked smile, blush on the cheeks and another scrap of felt for the scarf. I also use a wood mushroom plug (used to cover screw holes in furniture) for the nose. They are adorable! I've also made penguins - they're easy, but this is the only can that you leave right side up - paint can black, sponge belly and face white, a scrap of felt for the beak and a little blush, add a pipe cleaner for handle and 2 pompoms for the earmuffs and a scrap of felt for the scarf. The angels and elves are just as easy. It's all basically the same technique - just different decorations. People really enjoy getting cookies or candy in these. Grin People started saving them for me and I have a garage full of them myself - just need to "invent" new characters. Roll Eyes

Glass jars - you can decorate them with flowers, ribbon and lace and put homemade bath salts in them, or make gel candles ahead of time - they aren't too time consuming.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
evandean
« Reply #135 on: December 10, 2005 06:20:09 AM »

I take the larger glass jars and modgepodge a picture of friend or family member inside the jar. make sure the picture is sealed to glass well. Then I spray paint the inside of the jar. next, I glue a glass candle holder or other decorative container on top. Put lace around neck to hide the glue seam. Put in a candle. These personalized candle holders make great gifts and I have a lot of requests.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlygirl
It's ho-made

I love chocolate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: January 03, 2006 09:55:51 AM »

I made a bunch of cute little scrapbooks by putting them on a spindle and drilling holes through them, and then using a clasp ring to put them together...you can see it on my gallery at scs...

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=5364

you can email me if you want directions.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'll be in my bedroom, making no noise and pretending I don't exist."
girlygirl
It's ho-made

I love chocolate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: January 03, 2006 09:58:40 AM »

Woops!  I meant to post this in the AOL cd's thread...what the???  oh well...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'll be in my bedroom, making no noise and pretending I don't exist."
blue-fusion
blue things and toys

drei stirne fr dich? :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: January 09, 2006 09:06:51 PM »

for the coffee tins, well, you can turn them into imitation lacquerware pieces. buy some varnish, put some in a container without lid, and leave overnight. this will thicken the varnish. we'll refer to this as thick varnish, and the other one (the one not left out to thicken) normal varnish. clean the coffee tin and paint with a metal primer. and then paint with acrylic colour of your choice (though i prefer black). paint this with a thin coat of normal varnish. let it dry. then get some gold poster paint, put a very little amount on your index finger. make swirly patterns on the surface that give it a somewhat uniform look. the goal is to have very small specks above the black paint. since it is water-based, you can dilute the gold paint to a thinner consistency. anyway, when the paint is dry, coat with normal varnish. when this is dry, paint with thick varnish, and then let it dry. the thick varnish gives the effect of a transluscent layer similar to the enamel in fired porcelain. Smiley

hope this helps. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yes. i'm a guy who's into crafting Tongue
Whiskey
Crafts fueled by Whiskey

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 30, 2006 06:49:05 AM »

When I was at a yard sale last year I found some 'biscuit' jars and I have used the Armoretch to create some cool designs for some swaps I have been in. 

I am terrible at the picture function here (they never work!) so if you go to www.whiskeychica.blogspot.com some of them are there.

Whit
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Photograph Moving Objects
Macro Flash Photography Seminar at B&H
Macro Flash Photography Technique
Foggy Marsh Photography Shoot in Garmisch, Germany
Dusk Photography Shooting Outdoor
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...