A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
530 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Coffee Tins, Glass Jars, Plastic Containers  (Read 80873 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FairyWings
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2005 12:31:53 PM »

did anyone mention  snowglobes for the glass jars? baby food ones work good.
 just glue a figurine sitting on the inside of the lid, in the jar put water and a cpl drops of glycerine or use clear mineral oil instead of water( for flow of the 'snow') then add glitter or small beads to float around when you shake it.
 I'd be quite suprise dif noopne posted this already but i just dont have the time to read through all the pages
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FairyWings
« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2005 06:03:06 PM »

if you need any ideas for soda canbs.. check this place out http://www.tesscar-aluminum-craft.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

urban miner
you can run but you cant run

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2005 09:44:32 PM »

This may be a little dangerous but I did it and loved it.  Take empty baby food jars, or any glass jar with a screw on lid.  Use a drill or tin snips to cut out the top of the lid (dont damage the threaded part of the lid).  What I did was I removed all of the books from the top shelf of my bookcase and drilled 1" diameter holes in the top (ceiling?) of the top shelf every five inches.  Then, I took the lids and screwed them right side up to the ceiling of the top shelf (lining up the holes in the lids with the holes in the shelf.  Then I took tea light candles and put them in the glass jars and screwed them on to thier respective lids. Whenever I want a cool atmosphere, I just unscrew the bottles from the lids, Light the candles, and screw them back on. it looks really cool.  I used seven jars and it looks great.  Confuses the hell out of people.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpyRI
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2005 04:25:49 PM »

First post! I was going to kind of echo the snow-globe idea, but without water. I've been making paperweights by using small plain glass bowls, tracing the bottom onto cardboard, lining the cardboard with cool fabric or collages on the inside side, and green felt on the back. Then you put the little things (sea shells, lonely earrings, little army men, dice, etc.) inside the bowl or jar and glue on the cardboard base. It's just easier than making a snow globe because it doesn't have to be water-tight, and you can use papery things without them disintegrating. Makes great personalized gifts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

it had a beat, you could dance to it
glitterpickle

It's only a model.

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2005 10:41:05 AM »

Cheesy hooray, it's my first post!

I also have a ton of prescription bottles that have been growing in number, empty and label-less, in my medicine cabinet.

Here's a couple of ideas I just thought of for reusing them.

*making a mini first aid kit. you could fit a couple differently sized bandaids, a couple tylenol/advil/etc., a couple rolaids etc.

*stash your fortunes from fortune cookies in there until you have enough to do something really neat with them.

*keep a small meaningful object inside and take it out and look at it when you need a little smile/comfort/giggle. some ideas of what to use: a tiny swatch of fabric from your childhood blankie (if you have one), small amount of stuffing from your childhood stuffed animal (like squee does!), a mini replica of your fav. pet made by you, a tiny little picture, a shell or some sand so you can be anywhere and feel the beach. it could be like your spiritual 'medicine'.

*storing fish food

*dry your own herbs and store them in the bottles and label them with their new contents

*fill with your favorite herb or seasoning and keep in your purse for when that slice of pizza or pasta at a restaurant needs a little somethin, and you have your tarragon handy.  Smiley

*sorting and storing coins. or fill one with quarters and keep it in your car if you frequent a town that has parking meters.

Well that's all the new ones I can think of right now. I would also check the airtightness of these bottles to see if they can actually close tight enough to not allow anything to spill out. I would hate to recommend anything to you that would cause a massive garlic salt/beach sand spillage in you purse. Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KilDaraSidhe
Don't Worry, Be Happy!

I believe!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2005 01:53:16 PM »

This is not for everybody- you have to have a certain esthetic and sense of humour.
cheap decorating idea and great gift for people that have everything- use old glass jars to create your own laboratory look!
take old glass jars and one old barbie (or buck store equivalent). take the barbie apart, put one complete barbie per jar. fill with water, and add pretty food coloring. put lid on. glue gun a piece of feather boa to lid, and voila! barbie inna jar!
if you're on a budget, these can look fabulous lined up in a window, all different colours.
i've given them as last-minute xmas gists a number of times and received great responses.
enjoy!!

There is a bar in the city called Bar 89 located at 89 mercer street and they have people who come in every few months and change the art around. One year for Christmas, they had a huge christmas tree with clear glass what looked like canning jars or something. Inside the jars was different colored liquid with barbie body parts, legos, and all different kinds of other toys. It looked kind of freaky, definately interesting.

Also one year someone gave my mom a gift, it was a baby food jar that hat a little bit of water in it with a plastic hat, platic carrot, and 3 black beads. They glued the lid on and then covered it in fabric with a tag that had a poem about how they saw a tiny snowman runnig around and wanted to give it as a present but when they took it home it melted. It was cute.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying over the future.
lynda752
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2005 06:00:42 PM »

If you have large coffee tins - Use 3, take bottoms out of 2 of them, duct tape them together, then duct tape to one with bottom- cover with Towels or other decorative paper- contact paper if you use paper- they can be used to store your toliet paper in - in the bathroom.  Linda
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KJ144
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2005 08:38:06 AM »

well, i dont know if someone said this already (im still reading through the piles of awesome ideas yall have), but pretty much any of the stuff you mentioned could be put together to make a noisy door bead curtain.  im not sure how you could attach them together, maybe drill/ puncture holes in the tops and bottom and put a hook through.. well this idea needs some work but i guess it could go somewhere if someone really ambitious took over.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

there will always be second chances
and youll always be on your first try.
-stellar kart.
RavenMaiden

The true RavenMaiden

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 27, 2005 08:25:21 PM »

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I use my coffee cans and plastic containers to keep my yarn pet hair free while I crochet.  I poke a hole in the lids big enough for the yarn, thread it thru, put the yarn ball in the container, seal it up and crochet away!  when I STOP crocheting, I take a second container and put my UFO in it and just carry around the 2 containers.  It also works well if you are using more than one color, keeps them from tangling up as you work if all your colors are in a seperate container.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Victims, aren't we all?
elephantcrazy
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2005 08:58:13 AM »

what I did w/ an old glass jar was found a candle that was the same size as the jar, and put black and white sand around it. Both types of sand are real ( I hope my brother doesn't get mad at me Undecided) and it goes really well w/ the color theme of my room
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tom Rob Smith Talks About The Secret Speech
Meet Author Nathan McCall
Jane Costello Talks About My Single Friend
Manny Howard Talks About My Empire of Dirt
Jimmy Gownley Draws Superhero Amelia
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...