A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
787 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Your Weekly Menu  (Read 2930 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dyingsockgirl
« on: August 01, 2006 07:23:42 PM »

There are a lot of great ideas around here but I was just curious as to what makes it to all of your regular dinners (or breakfasts, etc)? What do and don't you like about making and eating it?

If I had someone living with me I would probably cook more but I can't be bothered to do a lot for just myself. So I suppose my only regular thing is muffins Smiley I don't mind baking for just myself (although usually I save them for my boy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you really want to hurt your parents and
you dont have nerve enough to be homosexual,
the least you can do is go into the arts.
Kurt Vonnegut, Jr
mermaide
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006 03:41:25 PM »

I'm Chinese, so its usually white rice with a side of chicken with leek and ginger dip* or steamed fish and boiled random leafy green (like spinach or bok choy). It's pretty healthy.

*Boil chicken with or without skin in only a bit of salt. In a separate bowl, grate ginger and chop the same amount of leek. Add a dash of garlic salt. Mix olive oil in the dip to the consitancy that you like. Then you dip your chicken in it. The chicken tastes good hot OR cold.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftsters do it better.
lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006 11:20:32 PM »

i make muesli all the time. cheap, healthy and filling. i don't really do weekend big breakfasts, because they make me feel icky (too much high GI, high sugar, high fat food first thing in the morning, maybe?)

my default meal at home is pasta + whatever i have lying about. some less successful, more desperate combos have included peas and olives; and cauliflower and pine nut.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myloveasdeep
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006 11:29:44 AM »

I do lots, and lots, and lots of zucchini and summer squash or eggplant with spaghetti sauce. I also go through black bean chili phases...and once in a while I make fish with potatoes and brussels sprouts. When my boyfriend is over we do better things like chicken with mango-habanero sauce.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/myloveasdeep/

Her dirty paws and furry coat,
She ran down the forest slope.
The forest of talking trees,
They used to sing about the birds and the bees.
The bees had declared a war,
The sky wasn't big enough for them all.
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006 02:47:46 PM »

I make lots of soups or stews or toss a bunch of stuff into the slow cooker. If it takes more than one pan, I'm usually not interested. I do plenty of different cooking for my clients, so it's not like I'm missing cooking or anything. My own needs are quite simple.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myloveasdeep
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006 04:25:57 PM »

Yeah, same here--but I've found that's the thing that makes me most dissatisfied with my food--not having two or three things. I do one-dish meals all the time, but I end up feeling like I haven't had dinner. But who wants to go to all the trouble for themseleves?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/myloveasdeep/

Her dirty paws and furry coat,
She ran down the forest slope.
The forest of talking trees,
They used to sing about the birds and the bees.
The bees had declared a war,
The sky wasn't big enough for them all.
Emilia06
Future Crazy Cat Lady

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006 05:23:46 PM »

I'm young and it's summer vacation, so for dinners I've been going all out, practically using every pan in the house.  But some more simple options would be spaghetti and grilling.

For spaghetti, you could just open a jar of sauce, but it's almost just as easy to saute garlic and onion in a bit of olive oil in a sauce pan until the onion's translucent, and then add a can of diced tomatoes and whatever chopped vegetables you have on hand.  I've used squash like Myloveisdeep, broccoli, peppers, and spinach, but just about anything would work.  It makes, like, a marinara sauce and is even better left over (for breakfast if you're nuts like me).

Using a George Foreman or table-top grill to cook turkey burgers, black bean burgers, and marinated chicken is super easy, too.  It doesn't taste like grilling with charcoal, but it's quick as anything and it's simple to just cook portions for one or two people.  Also, I've found that doing the black bean burgers on the good ol' Georgie dries them out a bit and they get a more hamburger-like texture.

I'm used to cooking for four.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I move out.   Undecided

THIS ROCKS   Logged
samglam209
Chefsalad

I love crafting!<3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006 11:35:17 PM »

My family loves spicy and mexican style foods.We always have taco seasoning,refried beans and salsa on hand.I make an easy mexican style dish that is just groundbeef(seasoned with taco seasoning),rice,black beans,corn and salsa.It is really yummy.I also make chicken enchilada's alot.And I love Jumbalaya.It's one of my favs.Another thing I make although it sounds kinda weird is hamburger patties(without buns or condiments)mashed potatoes(I love the roasted garlic kind) and corn/green beans.Just season the hamburger patties with grill seasoning.If that seems too weird to you then you can do cube steak the same way.Cube steak is a great cheap meat that's an alternative to chicken and hamburger.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yes I am a dork.I play video games,I like computer's and I craft.If you have anything new and important to tell me then please be my guest.Otherwise shut the hell up!
rochelle_rmgd
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006 12:19:08 PM »

At my home, lunch and dinner consists of any one type of cooked beans, any two vegetable dishes (like spinach, pumpkin, potato, snow peas, radish, yam, snake gourd, etc.) and any non-vegetarian dish (mostly fish or chicken, but sometimes red meat). That's a lot of cooking to do each day, but I'm used to it by now. Breakfast is usually oatmeal porridge or pancakes or fried eggs or sandwiches or parathas (a savoury unleavened Indian bread made out of wheat flour that's stuffed with either a veg or non-veg filling and grilled.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jaravey
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006 01:57:09 PM »

One of my regulars is shrimp and veggies (usually bell peppers, zuchinni, and yellow squash), with lots of ground pepper and galric over rice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do the Graffiti Letter L
How to Draw a Bald Eagle
How to Do the Graffiti Letter O
How to Do the Graffiti Letter B
How to Do the Graffiti Letter A
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...