A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
403 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The dreaded boyfriend sweater: Leo, Fall '04 Knitty  (Read 430 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

karenology
« on: August 01, 2006 06:43:49 PM »

So the boyfriend is getting a sweater, and since he is picky (like most boys), he wants something machine washable and wearable. He likes the simplicity of Leo, so, when I finally settled on a nice, non-acrylic, machine washable yarn (Knitpicks' Swish Superwash, at an agreeable price), I bought the yarn and needles and am all set.

Or so I thought. When I started knitting it, it occurred to me that the composition of the yarn I am using is very different from the yarn specified in the pattern, which, in addition to being expensive and highly unavailable in my neck of the woods, is 50% silk / 50% wool Sad I get gauge fine (well, enough), I am just worried that it will turn out to be a suit of wooly armor when knit up...the swatch I have doesn't seem -that- stiff, but that might just be wishful thinking on my part.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Should I go ahead and try to knit this as the pattern says, should I try to tinker with the gauge, or should I just find a different ribbed sweater pattern altogether? Also, I'd love to hear from people who have knit this pattern, as I can't seem to find any knitalongs online!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SherNWT
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006 07:02:38 PM »

OH I love that pattern.  No advice though!!

Sher
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ultraviolet
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006 07:29:17 PM »

Hmm, the recommended gauge for the sweater pattern is 6 stitches per inch, or 24sts=4 inches, and the yarn you chose has a recommended gauge of 4.5 stitches per inch, or 18 stitches = 4 inches. The Knitpicks website considers that yarn worsted/heavy worsted and the recommended yarn sport weight. It seems like a big difference to me.

If it were me, I would probably try to tinker with the pattern to fit the yarn you bought. You don't want to knit the whole sweater only to find that the fabric of the sweater is uncomfortable. But it's a great pattern, so I am rooting for you to stick with it!

Good luck, and be sure to show us the finished results Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://blog.threegoodrats.com

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
cnp71201
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006 07:49:22 PM »

I can't help you... but how is the Swish? I am planning on ordering some soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm crystalnickel on Ravelry!

Visit my blog at http://cnp71203.blogspot.com/. It has a little of everything... well, most things!

http://www.wists.com/cnp71203
karenology
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006 08:29:39 PM »

Thanks all Smiley At least I've learned to think twice before subbing whatever yarn. I think I will try and tinker with the pattern, and maybe try to integrate it with other patterns for ribbed men's sweaters (though I can't seem to find very many that meet his standards of wearable; a lot of them are too fiddly).

cnp71201: The Swish is great, no complaints with the yarn itself, got a nice sheen to it and looks like it won't be too prone to any nasty pilling Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Corn Chowder
How to Make Deep Fried Beer
How to Make a Grilled Cheese Sandwich with an Iron
How to Make Beef Jerky
How to Make Cajun Red Beans and Rice
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...