A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,662
Currently Running With Scissors:
554 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 6 way maternity dress  (Read 12319 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tigergirl
« on: August 01, 2006 03:48:34 PM »

OK, I'm not sure where this should go - I thought there was a separate thread for maternity wear but somehow I can't find it. Please move this if there is a more appropriate category.

In the same vein as the "Pamela" dress, the "Infinite dress", the "Quickie dress anybody can make" etc. I've found this maternity version by an Australian designer (who also does the "Ultimate dress" - another convertible dress).

Her website showing the variations: http://www.sachadrake.com.au/index.php?page=maternity&section=6%20Way%20Dress&sub_section=black&level=main-obj&site=v8

A review of the dress: http://www.fertilemind.com.au/page.asp?2573=415401&E_Page=374356

To see just how easy this pattern actually is, look at:
Instructions & diagrams: http://www.fertilemind.com.au/page.asp?2573=374315&E_Page=374356 - at the bottom of this page there are links to models demonstrating how to achieve some of the looks.

Just thought it might be helpful for someone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jutybo
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006 10:12:01 AM »

When you said "helpful for someone", you must have meant ME!!!    Shocked  I attempted making a similar maternity top and posted it in Rostitchery's the Quickie Dress that Anybody Can Make thread, but I really like the design of the one you've linked to- one continuous piece for the "straps" really intriques me, and I like how it looks with that one piece just hanging down aka strapless-dress style.  I need to find the right fabric to make this, and when I do, I'll post pics.
THANK YOU!!!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006 11:35:44 AM »

Wow!  That looks a lot more bra-friendly than the other versions I've seen, and the wrapping seems more foolproof.  Once I get some free time (yeah, when will that happen?) and find some cheap fabric, I might have to give this a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
tigergirl
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006 11:58:24 PM »

Great! I'd love to see someone's version of this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bekkels
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006 07:47:54 AM »

Wow, that does look pretty easy, thanks for posting!  If I find some cheap stretchy fabric in the near future I may attempt this.  I don't seem to have too many clothes to accomodate my growing tummy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chloe_hippy
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006 08:09:50 AM »

hopefully someone figures this out and posts a tutorial for those of us who want it (ME!!!) but can't quite wrap their head around how it is done (ME AGAIN!!!)  Smiley

Carrie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tigergirl
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006 03:49:07 PM »

hopefully someone figures this out

Well, the way I see it, there are only three main pieces:
the skirt (ok, this might be two pieces - front & back)
the tube top
the overskirt / straps

The skirt looks to be an A-line with a bit more fullness at the front
-I'd slit the front of the skirt pattern up the middle, spread it out at the bottom a few inches, keeping the waist measurement the same and make a new pattern from that, with the extra cone shaped panel in the middle

The tube top is just that
- basically just a tube of fabric, wide enough to cover your breasts

The overskirt is harder to explain
- this really bad pic I did in paintshop is still better than me trying to explain it (I think). The top part is the waist.

To make it up
- at the waist, you'd just have pin the right side of the overskirt to the right side of the tube top,  then the wrong side of the overskrt to the right side of the waist of the a-line skirt,
- Now you'll have a sandwich with the tube top on one side, the overskirt in the middle and the skirt on the otherside.
- The wrong side of the tube top and the wrong side of the A-line skirt will be on the outside
- Now you just sew up the waist.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewlittletime

Pink frosting is wunnerful, dahlink!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006 09:24:13 AM »

I really like this dress, even though I'm not preggers, nor am I planning to be. 2 kids are enough!

I'm going to be having a field day sewing all these convertable dresses/tops/skirts/etc.!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
low_budget_diva
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006 11:42:35 AM »

The boob tube seems like it could potentially be dangerous with growing boobs. I can't really see how a tube top is bra friendly, esp. given the industrial construction of most maternity bras. Anyone have ideas for modifications on this part? Otherwise I love this dress and was hoping to make the convertible dress as per rostichery's instructions with some modifications for maternity. I'll keep an eye on this thread!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When you are forty-two years old and you have five children, it's a slippery slope into sweatpants and a minivan. So I just don't go there."--Laura Bennett, Project Runway
tigergirl
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006 09:20:39 PM »

The boob tube seems like it could potentially be dangerous with growing boobs. I can't really see how a tube top is bra friendly, esp. given the industrial construction of most maternity bras. Anyone have ideas for modifications on this part?

I had assumed you would still wear a bra under it (I would with mine, even though I'm not pregnant). It's just that with the tube and the straps, there's less chance of your bra actually showing in all the wrong places.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Make It Easy: DIY Paper Flower Bouquet
How to Make Curved Edge Quilts with Bias Binding
Quilt Top Design Advice
How to Build Your Own Bean Bag Toss Game
DIY Colorful Leather-Wrapped Keychains
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...