A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 299,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
454 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lucky Tsukiyma Shoulder Pouch with yum chain strap. NOW WITH TUT!! PIC HEAVY  (Read 8172 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lady Bag
Let them make bags!

Bag it up, bag it in, let me bag-in!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 01, 2006 02:13:40 PM »

Hello Folks,

I have some lovely shiny metal (mmmm....shiny things...) oversized rings just begging to be looked at on a bag; so I put them with this very nice teal and red Japanese fabric (called Tsukiyama), added a red bow-tie, some nice purse chain and mixed in a lucky charm made from real jade and I got this!

Zoom in

Zoom out

Here's the Tut, it's my first one so wish me luck!  The bag is easy peasy to make, I hope I haven't made it look difficult!  Feel free to PM me with any questions.  I'd love to see the bags that are made from this tut  Grin

The bag is made with a purse chain, but if you can't get your hands on any you can make a thin fabric handle if you wish (about 1" wide and 20" long).

The bag is also lightly elasticated at the top.

Ingredients

1/2 yard of fabric for exterior
1/2 yard of fabric for lining
1/2 yard of iron-on stabilser/interfacing
20" fine elastic
18" purse chain*
2 x 3/4" rings*
2 x 1" oversized rings*
1 bag charm (optional)
* You can substitute all of these bits for a fabric handle - cut one strip of fabric 21" long x 3" wide and follow step 6. (for making the tie) to make the fabric handle.

1. Make your pattern piece (there is only 1 pattern piece for the bag).  Fold a sheet of paper in half and draw a free hand roundey shape that resembles the one in the photo.  My pattern (WHEN FOLDED IN HALF WIDTH WAYS) measures 11.5” (29cm) from top to bottom, and 6” (15cm) left to right at the top edge.  You see that top margin with the criss-cross lines on it?  That margin is 1.5” (4cm) tall by 6” (15cm) wide, mark out the margin like I have, it’s important for later on.

Pattern folded in half, and unfolded!

2. Now fold the top margin of the pattern (with the criss-cross marks) DOWN for cutting the fabric pieces for the exterior bag.  Cut 2 exterior fabric pieces, and because I used light-weight quilt weight cotton on my bag so I cut two iron-interfacing (stabiliser) pieces too – if you are using home furnishing fabrics which are thicker, you won’t need stabiliser.  Iron the stabiliser onto your exterior fabric pieces (if appropriate).

Pattern pieces for the exterior

3. Now we are going to cut the lining pieces.  UNFOLD the criss-cross margin on the pattern and cut 2 lining pieces.  Cut a strip 28” x 2.5” of lining fabric for the tie, and the purse chain loops.

Pattern pieces for the lining

4. Making the exterior bag: Pin the two exterior bag pieces right sides together and sew around the seam with a ½” seam allowance.  Clip the curved edges – this make the bag look less bumpy around the curves when you turn the bag right side out.  Turn the exterior bag right-side out.

Clip them curves!

5. Making the lining bag: Pin the two lining pieces right sides together and sew around the seam with a ½” seam allowance – LEAVING A GAP OF 5” IN THE BOTTOM IN THE BAG LINING, ALSO LEAVE ONE OF THE SIDES OF THE CRISS-CROSS MARGIN OPEN because we are going to insert some elastic through this gap later.  Turn the lining bag right side out.

6. Make the tie/or fabric handle (if you are making one instead of using purse chain), and purse chain loops:  Fold the long lining strip in half width-ways and stitch along the raw edges with a ½ seam allowance.  Trim the excess fabric close the seam about Ό” (if you are using a fabric handle turn the tude right side out, that's the fabric handle finished - if you're using one).  Divide the long tube like this: 2 x 2” tubes for the purse chain loops, and 2 x 12” tubes for the ties.  Turn the all of the tubes right side out.  Take one of the ties and stitch shut one of the open ends of the tube by pushing the fabric into the tube and then sewing the end of the tie close to the edge.  Do the same with the other tie.

Tie ends are tucked in and sewn

7. Attaching the ties:  Place one of the ties onto the right side of the lining onto the centre top of the lining (that is still right side out) and stitch it in place.  Do the same with the other tie. 

Tie is placed on the centre top of the lining and stitched in place

8. Attaching the purse chain loops/or fabric handle (if you're using one): Remember in step 5 we left one side of the margin open?  We are now gonig to pin it closed on the wrong side, like in the picture.

the pin is used to keep the margin ends closed so you can sew a purse chain loop onto the lining (see next pic)

Place one of the purse chain loops (with a ring already attached)/or one end of the fabric handle (if you are using one) onto the right side of the fabric onto the top edge of the lining at the side where we placed that pin. My finger is poking through the gap below the loop - we want to keep that gap there.  Now place the other purse chain loop/or other end of the fabric handle on the other side seam on the right side of the fabric.

Purse chain loop is placed onto the side seam and pinned - my gammy finger is poking through the gap

8.  Slip the exterior bag (still turned right side out) into the lining bag (which is wrong side out).  The right sides of the exterior bag and the lining bag should be touching each other.

9.  Match the top edges of the exterior bag and the lining bag and pin together.   Stitch the two bags all the way around (including the open ended margin bit) together leaving a ½” seam allowance. 

This shows the exterior and lining bag pinned together, and the open margin bit.  You can see the handle loop peeking through the hole

10.  I alway like this bit - pull the exterior bag completely out through the gap in the bottom of the lining bag.  Now ease the lining out of the exterior bag until there is ½” showing.  Press the top edge of the lining so the crease remains.

Kinda makes me think of bags being born, ahh!

11.  Stitch all around the bag close to the bottom of the margin – this will create a casing (tube) for the elastic.

Sew around the bag at the bottom of the (red) margin leave the chain loops folded downwards.

12.  Thread the elastic through the hole on the casing.  Use enough elastic to make the top of the bag lightly elasticated.  Tie the elastic, slide the knot into the hole, and hand sew the hole closed.

13.  Using pliers open one of the purse chain loops and thread the purse chain onto the loops.  I’ve also added some oversized O rings onto my bag (because they look cool & I sell them) but they are optional.  If you have made a fabric handle ignore this bit.

14. Sew the hole in the bottom of lining closed by pushing the raw edges into the hole and sewing close to the edge for a neat finish.

Hurray finished! Thread a pretty bag charm through one of the rings if you have one

« Last Edit: September 03, 2006 01:59:18 PM by Lady Bag » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.u-handbag.com
Oodles of bag making supplies!

http://u-handbag.typepad.com/
U-handblog!
antigone
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006 02:27:14 PM »

Beautiful!!! Can we see the inside?  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

acidalbatross

Puuutinondariiitzz!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006 03:07:34 PM »

i love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And the strangels will take me down deep in their brine
The mischievous braingels
Down into the endless blue wine
-(Tom Waits)
kelelana
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006 08:16:30 PM »

I like!  How big is it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006 08:23:01 PM »

I love using chain belts for straps! Great looking bag
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Almost Lucky
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006 02:15:56 PM »

fabulous as always  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KimSecret
Paxil Princess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006 03:35:39 PM »

Awesome bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~>Kimberly<~
Doof!
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006 05:10:34 PM »

Wow, that looks amazing, how about a tutorial?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jobrien

I love the smell of baby powder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006 05:30:36 PM »

Wow that's beautiful!  I love the simple design and the great fabric.  The charm thing is a good idea too. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jeannie
the friendly sewing lady
too-evonish
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006 05:59:16 PM »

This is very pretty and can fetch for a really good price!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Christopher Leonard: The Book That Changed My Life
Wendy Williams on Her Juicy New Novel
Jose Antonio Vargas LIVE
Murder And Mercy In Texas
Killer Instinct by S.E. Green
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...