A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,719
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stranded In London!  (Read 3963 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

corduroysgirl
« on: August 12, 2004 06:22:25 PM »

hi everyone!
i was just referred here, and WOW, so much great stuff! god i don't feel so alone for recycling aol tins and making greeting cards as gifts now!  Kiss
my first question is where the heck can i find general crafting supply stores in london uk? i moved here from los angeles about 6 months ago, and i just now found somewhere that sells embroidery thread and craft glue (unfortunately it's a pricey department store - who'd have thought???)  Tongue i know of some stores around that sell painting and drawing materials, but no "one stop" kind of all-purpose crafting place. i used to shop at the "michael's" chain stores in ca.... i want them to move here!  i hope someone here can help, my husband is of no use lol.
crossing my fingers! thanks  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ysolda
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004 07:18:10 AM »

hmm im not in london, im in edinburgh - but there is www.kelins.co.uk - i think the shop is there - i haven't been to it though, but the website is decent. Is there a john lewis, the one here is pretty good - its a chain of big department stores. i know of at least one decent beadshop but can't remember the details. try markets for stuff like ribbon. Let me know if you're looking for specific things, also try asian fabric stores for fabric and trimmings of all kinds, as well as beads, dye glue and stuff like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
crana
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004 09:57:54 AM »

Hobbycraft sell everything you could want but it's not awfully cheap (although i did get some amazing 9p glow in the dark outliner in the sale today). They are a chain across the country.

I can't think of any other ones that might be in London.. have you looked in the Yellow Pages? (www.yell.com)

rosie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gemjams
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004 11:00:51 AM »

Well I'm in London(wimbledon) and i go to kingston for all my crafty needs! There is a john lewis, tatters(material and accessories more for sewing stuff), and a good art shop which isn't really cheap but has pens, paints, loads of paper etc! I think its called the kingston art shop (or i might have just made that up as it sounds too obvious!) ummmmm when i cant be bothered to go to kingston I go to Elys in wimbledon which has quite a good haberdashery department or fielders which would be good for you if you like card making! thats about all i can think of! it depends where your living in london as it might be a bit of a mission for you if you just need some glue or something!As ysolda said Kleins is great and i would recommend buying online as its often cheaper and alot easier!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handmade jewellery, clothing and accessories

http://www.etsy.com/shop/BettyStiletto
corduroysgirl
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004 01:06:51 PM »

thanks for getting back to me girls!  Kiss
ok well i live in north london, muswell hill.  i've looked on yell.com and google, but nothing much pulls up except for painting and drawing supplies. the closest john lewis is on oxford street, which is a bit of a ways for me. they seem to have the best selection so far, i was surprised to see a dept. store with craft supplies! i have a local shop (for locals Cheesy) to get embroidery thread from, but they don't sell blanks there. i also make greeting cards, do embossing/stamping, mosaics, decoupage, flower arranging, and whatever else i can get my hands on!  Grin so i wanted a place that might sell supplies for all of those things, if such a place exists here in the uk Smiley i've been getting my embroidery patterns from Jenny Hart's site, Sublime Stitching, and they look rockin'!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dotty_gem

I'm a yorkshire lass! ee by eck!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004 03:46:44 PM »

hmm im not in london, im in edinburgh - but there is www.kelins.co.uk - i think the shop is there - i haven't been to it though, but the website is decent. Is there a john lewis, the one here is pretty good - its a chain of big department stores. i know of at least one decent beadshop but can't remember the details. try markets for stuff like ribbon. Let me know if you're looking for specific things, also try asian fabric stores for fabric and trimmings of all kinds, as well as beads, dye glue and stuff like that.

Hi i was just wondering if you knew any good places for crafty stuff in Edinburgh???I've just finished my first year at uni there but I'm still not totally sure where's best?? Sorry to go off onto another city!! Also I wondered if you knew if there are any markets in Edinburgh or nearby I can't seem to find one anywhere??I'm looking for somewhere that sells crafty stuff or one where I could sell my own stuff??Sorry about all the questinos but Im just curious!!!! Smiley Huh Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scandibird
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004 12:13:20 AM »

I know there's a BIG hobbyplace in Watford, can't remember it's name though... It might be Hobbycraft as above. I went there once when I lived in Berkhamsted, Herts and I was drooling with excitement but by that time my boyfriend had had enough of shopping and dragged me out of there... It's near the big shopping centre (Harlequin) together with lots of big furniture and DIY shops, shnould be easy to find if you ask someone. From Euston it's only a short train journey. Hmm, I really want to go there now...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lucy_uk
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004 01:50:06 AM »

Hiya,

I'm not in London either I am afraid. But I get quite alot of my stuff mail order from http://www.fredaldous.co.uk the prices seem reasonable. They sell everything! Stuff for card making, embriodery, printing, woodwork, loads of stuff Smiley

Enjoy!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Coming soon.... Gorgeous modern handmade greeting cards & other goodies...
http://www.dottyrocks.com
gemjams
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004 02:35:22 AM »

Oh i just remembered check out Fred Aldous(i cant remember the link) I got a catalogue in the post and they have everything and i mean everything for reasonable prices!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handmade jewellery, clothing and accessories

http://www.etsy.com/shop/BettyStiletto
corduroysgirl
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004 04:33:56 AM »

wooo! British craftsters unite!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 2/13
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 4/13
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 9/29
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 11/13
How to Crochet Baby Booty Soles Part 2/5
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...